Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Halo Spot's Stew carb count?

Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
edited 13 November, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
Does anyone know the carb percentage for the Spot's Stew cans? A diabetic foster that I got off insulin got a new home and his owner found that he really likes Spot's Stew. I haven't bought that in a long time but I seem to remember lots of veggies. It's not listed on the Binky's chart - is anyone familiar with the carb content? When he was here I kept him in the 7-8% range.

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 10 November, 2011
    It's kind of low in carbs: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13116 Halo's Spot Stew is mostly water and fruits/veggies with little actual meat :? It's not worth buying, IMO. I would stick with the foods on Binky's list and on this newer chart. There are good quality low carb foods that are mostly meat with few fruits/veggies.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 10 November, 2011
    Merlin, thank you so much. I had a feeling that it wasn't a great choice but since he liked it I figured I'd try to find out for sure. Great new chart - thank you so much for posting that link!
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    edited 10 November, 2011
    Hi BK, Spot's Stew is one of the canned foods I've always stayed away from. I can't remember exactly what the ingredients are, but it seems like as Merlin said the veggies are the predominant ingredients. It really turned me off when I looked at it. I look at it every once in a while when I'm in pet stores and I always quickly put it back on the shelf after seeing the ingredients. I would think the carbs would be higher considering all the veggies in this food (that I remember). Why do they have to put in all these veggies in cat food??
  • Obli CarnObli Carn Member Posts: 9
    edited 12 November, 2011
    Hi BK A very dedicated cat parent took the time to compile this vast carb chart where it seems every food has been researched & companies were even contacted personally (dry matter basis). Hope this helps, your posts are very informative all the time ;) parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=747.0 parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=747.0
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 13 November, 2011
    Thanks Guest! Lola's mom was kind enough to send me this link too and I think we can thank Mo for all her hard work. This is such a valuable resource!
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    edited 13 November, 2011
    This is a very helpful list. It shows that not all canned food is necessarily low carb. I had fed Natural Balance here and there and I assumed it was low enough in carbs, but wow it looks like most of the NB are pretty high carb (from 20% to 40% carb). I guess all that pea starch is really carby. Too bad the other brands wouldn't let you publish the info. Thanks Guest! I know who compiled this list and I hope this Catster (or former Catster?) is still going to post here. I always appreciated her informative posts. I don't think I saw Weruva on the list - this is another brand that is often recommended, and I'm curious about the carb content. Thanks for all the effort in compiling this important info! =D>
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 13 November, 2011
    You can always check Binky's canned food charts and this newer chart for carb content of various brands of food =; The newer chart lists many of the higher end brands: Wellness, EVO, Merrick, etc. Some of the values are more updated than what is on Binky's charts. By Nature Organic canned carb content here