Question about the worlds coolest comp.

MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
edited 23 November, 2011 in Plus Contests
I saw in Samoa's diary asking to bring on the competition. Great idea~a~ But I have a few requests what do you all think? They are ... 1. last year I spent a lot of time voting on all the photos with the hope of zealies like we usually got like in the previous years. :)) actually funny enough it actually cost me quiet a bit to do it, as I was away from home. But that was my problem as I wanted to keep up with it all. About the zealies ...That didn't happen:( I thought that was a great way to find the best photo and make it more fun because it was really handy having the zealies. 2. last year it was made into a popularity contest instead of a good photo one. That's a bummer for new cats. 3. I think Cats should be on Catster a few months before they can enter. Because there has been times some cats have just come just to enter take the prize and then we never see them again. It maybe a way to promote Catster but I thought it was supposed to be fun for the Catster members. 4. What is the chances of changing some of the themes? Like maybe a photoshoped CAT-a-gory. Or for photos that have been touched up. 5. What’s the chances to have some prizes that can be won in other countries too. Maybe even if it is just giving the Zealies if a cat wins? I know the zealies are often in the prizes but I don't think the cat would get them if they lived outside the USA. Just some thoughts:-k

Comments

• Barbara FruinBarbara Fruin Member Posts: 614
    edited 19 October, 2011
    I like it that you're thinking of good ideas. You can use "contact us" at the bottom of the page to send them in to Catster. I hope other kitties will also come up with some good ideas! Luv, tink
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 19 October, 2011
    I agree with everything you said, Raza! Last year was a bummer in every way for my family.It really shouldn't be a popularity contest. One of my all time pet peeves is cats who join just for the contest,never to be seen again. It always comes down to one thing, long time members are second class catizens. It really annoys me that only US cats can win. This is the world wide web, right?! Yea,I will take a whole bunch of zealies!! Different categories~amen to that. How about funny cats? I can be pretty amusing. MOL Tink is right. The best way to let HQ know how we feel is to get in touch directly with them!
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 October, 2011
    Thanks guys for responding I was hoping others might join in too. Maybe we are not well known enough to make a thread work:? I thought it might be fun to get all enthusiastic about the hopefully up and coming competition:) I haven't post the info to Catster because I think they have enough on their plate at the moment. I think fixing the site is their first priority.:m we wait patiently.
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 20 October, 2011
    We totally agree about the zealies, that was a real bummer last year. I think giving zealies is a really great way to increase activity on Catster and it used to be so nice to have extra zealies around the holidays. We'd also LOVE to see new categories in the photo contest! Funny is always good! And the prizes used to be sweeter, I'd think there would be companies wanting to be a part of the contest. What's the story about kitties outside of the US not eligible for prizes? Can they still get the free plus membership prize and the zealies? Seems like all of Catsterland should be able to participate in the "World's" Coolest Competition?! Are there some kind of tax or law issues? :?
  • Tiffany AldingerTiffany Aldinger Member Posts: 620
    edited 21 October, 2011
    I think there are tax laws or something that affects who can win the contest. But I want all my friends to be eligible! Otherwise it's not the "World's Coolest Contest." I hope selling Catster to SayMedia doesn't mean there won't be a contest. ...
    edited 21 October, 2011
    :-O oooops!!! good point I wonder if there will be one:-/ I hope so and yes Leo, I agree it’s a bummer. But I think there was something about some legal thing that only USA cats could be the only winners. The others can win but will only get bragging rights. I think Squirrel won one year in the sitting cat-a-gory but because they lived in Canada, weren't eligible to receive any prizes. Ollie your family got into the finals too, was that last year. Boy time flies. It's fun to look at all the photos. I thought it would be a good time to ask before it kicks off :-k if it does.:) Here's hoping:D
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 22 October, 2011
    Everyone kept telling me to enter for the floofiest and all that. Which we did. We entered I swear a zillion photos. Not one, NOT EVEN ONE picture for anything got picked. I do think there needs to be more genres and different categories and also pick DIFFERENT kitties for things! I don't know that we'll even bother this year frankly. It was disappointing. :?
  • Tiffany AldingerTiffany Aldinger Member Posts: 620
    edited 23 October, 2011
    Finney! I totally think you need to enter if there's a contest! I think everyone should enter! I love looking at all the photos! For me, it's not who wins and loses, it's just about having fun! It's a good way to make new friends too!
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 October, 2011
    We love all your ideas Raza =; and yes, we would be happy to take zealies as a prize for contestants outside the U.S =; Mum is not competitive in any way, shape or form and that includes when it comes to us. But this is one contest she always likes to join in. We especially like the idea of different/new categories, as often we have had some great pics but they just haven't fallen in to any of the categories for the contest so we have not been able to enter them :? We do hope there is going to be another contest this year ;P

Bruce The Boss

• CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 October, 2011
    Well, I'm going to send HQ a note and ask them about the contest!

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

• Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 24 October, 2011
    Mom can't wait for the contest. Honestly I, could care less. Mom is waiting for the categories, and then she said we're going to have a photo session. I really don't like my picture taken. I always look away at the exact moment the flash goes off. Its a gift. :) Mom loves looking at all the photos!! Sadly, it is a popularity contest. Maybe now that I have more friends this year, I'll win something! :)
  • Charlene DitnerCharlene Ditner FormosaMember Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    edited 28 October, 2011
    I won last year in the best climber category. I'm from Canada, and they gave me some Zealies (I don't remember exactly how many), and a Catster Plus subscription ( which I already had), and a $25 gift certificate to Petsmart to be used online....I made a shopping cart list and went to pay, and I couldn't get the coupon code to work! :(
    edited 28 October, 2011
    That's awesome Mugsy I didn't think you'd get anything. It's really nice to hear Catster did give you a prize. AND congratulations on your win=;
  • Tessa TaylorTessa Taylor Member Posts: 15,662 ✭✭
    edited 3 November, 2011
    When is the Coolest Competition usually held? I agree it is a popluarity contest! I think phtoshopped pics should have their own categories!
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 3 November, 2011
    Such good ideas Raza =; Did you send them to HQ?? It was disappointing that they didn't offer zealies last year, Leo is right, it is nice to have extra for the holidays. :^:
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 3 November, 2011
    I love the idea of zealies as a prize too! That would be great! we love to give prezzies! Also, I think a photoshopped category sounds fun! Mom isn't good at that but we'd love to see all the other entries for that one. Maybe one category could be best Christmas photo or something too. Different things like that! :-h
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 3 November, 2011
    Finney, they used to give out up to 100 zealies for voting in the contest. It was so much fun and really encouraged participation in voting. Last year was the first time they didn't give any zealies :-/ There was one year, when they first introduced the cat breed game, that we could help out Catster by playing the game and "testing" it out for them. For the first week, the number of zealies you could earn was unlimited! For the holidays that year we had over 1200 zealies in our zealie bank! I have 6 right now, I can't even imagine how great it would be to have so many! I'm hoping, with all the icky Catster fleas over the last few months and now the postponing/cancelling of the World's Coolest contest, that Catster will consider giving us all some extra zealies for the holidays. Extra zealies are a fun way to get more activity and FUN going on in Catsterland!
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 9 November, 2011
    We love the photo contest and now hearing that non US members do get prices we want it even more! Yesterday mom spoke to HQ about some other matter and the contest came up. She was told that IF it will be on it is definitely NOT before December or January. Mom was told the their first priority right now is to fix all the bugs that is plaguing catster. I think everyone who feels strongly about it should write to HQ! We want our contest and definitely, zealies for voting would be also great! Love, Ollie
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 11 November, 2011
    We're disappointed that the contest is postponed, or possibly canceled, but do agree with HQ that they need to fix all the bugs in this website. This place has become a ghost town lately, I think a lot of kitties got very frustrated and left :( Leo, that is a pawsome idea about giving all us of some extra zealies for the holidays. What a great way to spread some cheer and get members active again! I think I will send that suggestion to HQ right now! =;
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 November, 2011
    Ohh how disappointing, but we do hope they have a contest in the new year :? We are not a competitive family but this is one contest Mum would always enter us in to, just for the fun of it and to participate with all our friends :( Paws crossed |:|

Bruce The Boss