People food and kitten

sarah williamssarah williams Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited 2 December, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
Hi everyone, I have had Mia for 3 weeks now, she is 8 weeks old. Recently she started jumping up in our laps while were eating, trying to poke her nose in our plates. I will admit, I gave in a few times, she seems to really like dry Rice Crispys, Nutella and of course chicken. No I did not let her lick a spoon of chocolate, I had a tiny amount on my finger and she licked it off. The chicken was a little piece, and the cereal was less than a teaspoon full. My question is this... Is this okay to do? She looks at us like, Hey! I want some? what's that?! I want it! PLEASEEEEEE...

Comments

• Mary DubuissonMary Dubuisson Member Posts: 296
    edited 28 November, 2011
    Not all human food is safe for consumption for cats. At best, you shouldn't give human food to cats more than the rare occasion. (Momma gives us whatever cold cut meat she's eating on her sandwich sometimes!) There are lots of foods that are toxic to cats though, and you really need to be careful what you give. Here is a list of some of the main ones, and I'm sure there are others this list didn't cover. If you're unsure, just don't give it to them to be safe. http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 28 November, 2011
    No to the Nutella - cats should not have any chocolate. I let mine have a bite of chicken once in a while, and I will say that Maizy will go bonkers for bread. But only a teeny bite, and only once in a while. If you let her have something every time you eat - and yes I do understand how adorable they are with "that look" it can snowball into her not wanting to eat her food, and also to become a beggar. I would just make it a rare treat, and things like a bite of plain chicken, or a rice krsipie or two. She is a growing girl, and it is kind of like a kid with candy & sweets - gotta eat the good stuff first! best of luck with your new kitty!=;
  • sarah williamssarah williams Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited 28 November, 2011
    Thank you both for your help and the list, very helpful! Much like my kids, Mia didn't come with instructions. I wish I would have had my camera out last night while my son was eating cereal, she was like GIMMEEEE and when we said no more, she jumped on his shoulder and tried to steal his spoon as to say, ok maybe if I use this thing I can have it... Thanks again!!
  • Ralphie RandyRalphie Randy Member Posts: 399
    edited 28 November, 2011
    I personally choose not to give people food to my cats, even foods that I'm certain are safe, because I don't want them to think it's okay to beg for table scraps. As it is, we have to put them in a seperate area of the house during dinner most nights or they're all up in our faces and plates. We're hoping they outgrow it so we don't encourage them by giving them any people food.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 29 November, 2011
    You will really regret it if you let this behavior continue. What comes across as adorable in an 8 week old kitten is far from adorable in an adult cat. You are teaching her that it is ok to jump on your chairs, your table, and even you by rewarding her with the food that she is seeking. Even allowing her to get away with this 10% of the time is not teaching her anything at all. You need to consistently discourage her from doing this. If you want to give her people food, which I'm personally against except for an occasional small piece of deli chicken, turkey, or cheese, then do it away from where you eat. Walk with it over to her bowl so that she knows this is the only place she can have food. I know this sounds harsh and mean and that she's adorable, but you don't want her to end up being so annoying that she eventually hurts you by mistake as she's jumping up for food or so that you can't stand to have her around any more. Beleive it or not, shelters are full of cats and some of them have been surrendered for reasons like this. Wishing you good luck with training her! Purrs, Shade
    edited 29 November, 2011
    Also, I did want to mention that young kittens need a lot of food, but can't eat a lot at once. A good way to feed her is to give her several small meals throughout the day. Possibley if you are able to do that she will lose interest in what you guys are eating. Congratulations on your new kitty! Purrs, Shade
    edited 29 November, 2011
    exactly what I do too. When they do get a bite, it is in their dish, or set on the floor. Try to think of it like you are doing the best for her, to help her grow up to be a well behaved sweet kitty.
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 29 November, 2011
    Mommy never met a cat before that eats potato chips, and heartily. But I love them. She found me crunching on some out of the bag she had left on the table. She couldn't believe it. I also enjoy bread sometimes, or even ritz crackers. It's not something I get regularly, but I do like it.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 29 November, 2011
    Watch eating all that sodium and salt CK! Not kidding, that's a lot for a cat even in small doses. I would not do it. I agree with Shade, Maizy and the others. We do NOT get people food. Once in awhile some PLAIN chicken, nothing that's been cooked with onions! But that's rare. we get wet, grain free, high protein, low carb canned food. That's it. And freeze dried and dehydrated treats that are grain free and only meat based. Kittens are hungry and yes will beg for food. But would you give in to your child and let them eat whatever they want only to develop health issues? I'm not trying to make you feel bad, please don't think that at all. I just want you to know that as Shade said, this is a dangerous practice to get into. If you have to, put her in another room while you're eating with the door closed. I never had a problem with shutting the door, it's not mean, it's for their own good. Their health is MUCH more important to me than any begging or pleading. These two never really did that though, I have to say. I have to shut the door because they do other things to get my attention and won't let me eat. But still, I'm strict with them because I lost my Alex to a horrible set of diseases that her previous owner started by feeding her ice cream, chips, junk! It's really up to you and I know this sounds harsh and people think, what's the harm in a little piece of this and that now and then? But there is harm, these are not humans, and even dogs should not be fed table scraps but they can handle it better than cats can. But NO Nutella for sure!!! Please know I only want the best for your sweet baby. :D
  • sarah williamssarah williams Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited 29 November, 2011
    Thanks for the advise Shade, I never thought of it like that. Although it is cute while she only a couple pounds at most, I don't want a 10 lb cat jumping in my lap while I am eating, or in hubby or my son's dish for that matter. Last night during dinner I placed her in my room while we ate, of course she cried, but like a baby, they have to learn that they can't always get their ways. I don't want to be one of those people that toss a cat (or any animal for that matter) out because they are annoyed at the behavior. I really appreciate all the advise from all of the members here.
    edited 29 November, 2011
    No problem Mia!:D I hope that you feel free to ask any questions that you have about raising your new baby. There are many people here who can give good advice from the knowledge that they've gained through personal experience. Purrs, Shade
    edited 1 December, 2011
    :-h we are always here to give a paw! :)
  • Suzanne BrunerSuzanne Bruner Member Posts: 440
    edited 2 December, 2011
    Amber gets a bit of whatever I am eating, as long as it is not dangerous for her. Her favorite is a toss up between fig newtons and sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes of all things! No joke, she has snubbed chicken in favor of a sweet potato fry. However, she is not allowed to jump up in my lap/on the table/in any chair other than her chair by me in the computer room. She has been trained to sit politely on the floor and wait for me to give her a bit. If she realizes she isn't getting any, she goes elsewhere and lays down. I taught her to sit with a clicker, if you are interested in that. However, she is a voracious eater and I never have to worry about her snubbing food, because if she acts like she doesn't want something, I just pick it up and give it to her again during the next meal time. If she rejects something more than twice, I throw it away and get her a different food of the same type and offer it two her. She has only completely snubbed a food once, and I am pretty sure there was something off about that can. The point of this ramble is that if you teach her manners and don't let her get picky about what she will eat by replacing proper meals with snacks, it should be fine. :^: