Poll - Would you buy a glow in the dark kitty?

Laurel KowalskiLaurel Kowalski Gateway to the WestMember Posts: 486
edited 8 December, 2011 in Choosing the Right Cat
I know this is all in the name of science. But glow in the dark cats, poor kitties. So if they are available would you buy one just because they glow in the dark? (Imagine you got one and you did not know it glowed in the dark until you went to bed!) http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/healthcare/prevention/story/2011-09-12/Glow-in-the-dark-cats-against-AIDS-other-diseases/50367732/1

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 13 September, 2011
    Science really doesn't need to subject animals, especially cats to this at all! Terrible. :n:
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 13 September, 2011
    They don't actually glow in the dark as in emit light in a dark room... They fluoresce green under a UV light. So you wouldn't know you had one when you went to bed, unless your bedroom had a "blacklight".
  • Ralphie RandyRalphie Randy Member Posts: 399
    edited 15 September, 2011
    I'm not going to read the article because it makes me sad that they are experimenting on cats. I wouldn't want a cat that had been geneticallly altered to be different in any way than what it was supposed to be. HOWEVER, I wouldn't mind if my kittens did NATURALLY glow in the dark so I could avoid stepping on them! They seem to want to be right by my feet, especially at breakfast in the early a.m. before the sun comes up, and they have no fear of being stepped on. I have to shuffle my feet across the room to the light switch to avoid stomping on any little paws!
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 15 September, 2011
    A purring nite lite...might be fun, as long as he didn't shine so bright it kept you awake.
  • Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 16 September, 2011
    Oh dear...what will we do next?? If I needed my cats to glow in the dark..well..I'd have to get creative. But they do not need to glow because they find me - or I find them - in the dark without any fancy enhancements. Sheesh!
    edited 17 September, 2011
    As I said they do not actually glow (emit light). They just show fluorescence when put under a UV light, so it wouldn't show up in the dark, you have to have a special light shining on them. I had a glow in the dark cat...kinda... Roxy is impossible to see in the dark because she's solid black, so my brother rigged her collar with two light-emitting keychains. Later we got her a collar made out of super bright glow in the dark nylon.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 19 September, 2011
    In my imagination the kitties glow like little moons--much more fun.I know this isn't acually the case nor would I want it to be. But for a fun thought--kitty gets happy,purrs, and softly glows!
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 20 September, 2011
    Im not going to read the article either.. wouldnt even consider it, its downright sad. Who ever thought of this is STUPID
  • Carole TrammCarole Tramm United StatesMember Posts: 4,348
    edited 21 September, 2011
    If the cats aren't harmed or having to be put under anesthesia, the testing isn't too bad, but completely pointless. I would never by a glow in the dark kitty, just like I would never buy a "designer breed" animal. It's disgusting, and the ONLY reason people should be breeding or "modifying" ANY animal is to improve the overall health and genetics of the species or breed they are working with.
    edited 29 September, 2011
    It's not pointless, the research that produced these cats is working towards a treatment for FIV and HIV. They didn't just make them UV reactive for fun, it is done as a marker to track the gene they are studying.
  • Carole TrammCarole Tramm United StatesMember Posts: 4,348
    edited 8 October, 2011
    Thank you for clearing that up Roxy. I was under the impression it was just gene experimentation to see if they could make cats glow.
  • Nila AtkinsNila Atkins Member Posts: 46
    edited 9 October, 2011
    It seems to me that I saw a program a few years ago that showed fish that glowed in the dark, being sold in Japaneese pet stores. And I find cats that glow in the dark to be a very cruel and horrible idea. Science does not need to do experiments like this on animals.Cats are not meant to glow in the dark. Do not make them do something that is not natural or normal.
    edited 9 October, 2011
    Scientists have been using the jellyfish gene (which causes fluorescence under UV light) for a number of purposes in research. It is not just to make some "freaky" animal. The reason they are using this gene is because the UV reactive protein it encodes for allows them to easily track a gene of interest in an organism without doing invasive tests. They link the gene they are studying with this jellyfish gene, and this allows them to track the gene. Then all they need to do is shine a UV light to see if the indivuduals are carrying the gene of interest. Here is some info in how this gene is being used in cats to help with FIV and HIV research: http://pet-zet.com/2011/09/26/p-z-news-glowing-kittens-help-in-the-fight-against-aids/#.TpH084JA1_A "Mayo Clinic Teams with Glowing Cats Against AIDS, Other Diseases: New Technique Gives Cats Protection Genes" http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2011-rst/6434.html "FIV Cats Help HIV/AIDS Patients" http://www.chicagonow.com/steve-dales-pet-world/2011/09/fiv-cats-help-hivaids-patients/ The fluorescent fish were also created with a purpose using jellyfish genes. They were not just to be sold as pets. They were originally created to help detect environmental pollutants. Here is some info: http://www.nus.edu.sg/research/rg12.php
  • Andree-Anne ForguesAndree-Anne Forgues Member Posts: 33
    edited 8 December, 2011
    I didn't read the article. What a pointless experiment. How do we know cats don't suffer through this? So no, I would not buy a glow-in-the-dark kitty. I don't "buy" pets, but that's for another thread... EDIT: Okay, FIV/HIV research. Got it.