Sleazy breeders?

Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
edited 12 December, 2011 in Choosing the Right Cat
No, specifying that your cats are FeLV and FIV negative is par for the course. But for a cattery raised cat, this should be a given. Any breeder who produces FeLV or FIV positive kitties is lower than low. I always provide proof to my clients, but honestly, it just involves a simple and cheap blood test. What is more to the point for many breeds is testing for the HCM and PKD gene defect. That has become possible through services via Washington State University. Japanese breeders are somewhat slow on this, and I am discontinuing my breeding program for the time being. But FeLV? FIV? Beyond a joke. And before you post about backyard breeders, please remember that only five percent of Anerican cats have an identifiable breed.

Comments

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 12 December, 2011
    Good points Chibi. A responsible breeder should NEVER have FIV for FeLV in their cattery. Responsible breeders should also be testing for any known genetic issues in their breed like HCM and PKD. Many breeders here in the USA are excellent. Although there are stil some slow to do dna testing for genetic issues. And of course, there are the irresponsible "backyard" breeders who don't care at all about their cats. Responsible breeder will also NEVER sell their cats to a pet store - they want to make sure their kitties go to a good home, and will take the kitty back if the owner can no longer keep it. They don't want to see a kitty they bred end up in a shelter or any harm come to it. As you pointed out though, only a small percentage of cats are registered purebreds. Responsible breeders are NOT the problem. Irresponsible people are. Being a responsible breeder is a lot more work and expense than most people would ever think!