Can you help me name my cat's breed :)

Andrea fountainAndrea fountain North AuroraMember Posts: 1
edited 15 December, 2011 in Choosing the Right Cat
I have 2 cats (soon to be 3, picking our adopted boy up Thursday!) anywho! hehe I have a beautiful cat named Libby, I was told she is a Bengal mixed with something else. Can you help me? I added a few pictures of her on her page if that helps.

Comments

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 14 December, 2011
    Libby looks like a broken mackerel tabby domestic shorthair to me. The dots may be more pronounced than they would be with a broken mackerel tabby. This is a color designation, not a breed. I am with the CFA, who do not recognize hybrids, but who will allow them to be shown as a household pet. Go figure. A Bengal will have a very well muscled body with long legs. The question is, what are the chances of a Bengal mating with the moggy population? I do not have an answer for that. Puredred breed rescue people would have a better idea. Bengals are now extremely popular. At the same time, they are extremely expensive. Being popular ups the chances of being trafficked by sleazy breeders. Which also ups the chances of Bengals breeding with the moggy population. On the other hand, good breeders either have a spay neuter agreement in their contract, or sell desexed cats. Spotted tabbies occur in the randomly bred population. Body shape determines breed. Go to a cat show as a household pet and have a judge judge you.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 14 December, 2011
    For information regarding tabby patterns, the best I know of now is messybeast.com. Google it.The webmaster will also field questions. The issue of breed cats is a complicted one. Essentially, cats do not have breeds the way dogs do. Purebred cats account for an estimated less than 5% of cats in the US. Some breeds are regional, naturally occurring cat varieties that have been taken over by breeders, often with the intent to preserve the breed, sometimes with the concurrent urge to follow new breed standards. This has resulted in Maine Coons who look less like the original Maine Cat, and more like wild cats. Taking it to an extreme, you get Siamese who look very little like their Thai cat ancestors.
  • Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 15 December, 2011
    Hello Libby! It is difficult to say if you are part Bengal or not, but your markings and coloration suggest that you could be. Your rusty colored under-carriage and tail marking certainly look familiar to me -:)) You could have DNA testing done if you really want to know! You are a pretty kitty in any event!