Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

high quality food

rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
edited 28 September, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
(human speaking here) my cats can be so annoying sometimes with their food. i can buy them the best food out there to eat, wet and dry, and they look at it and me like i lost my mind! i can give them as close to raw meat as canned food can get and they let it go hard and crunchy, but put down a can of fancy feast or friskies and it's gone in 2 seconds. grr....anyone else have annoying cats?

Comments

• Ingrid BaerIngrid Baer Red DeerMember Posts: 149
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy says I'm that way when it comes to treats. There aren't that many healthy treats you can find (well, not around here, anyway). Mom once brought home some Mother Hubbard treats, and neither me nor Willow liked them much. The most we'd eat was 3 treats in one sitting and then the rest would be left lying on the floor. But bring out some Whiskas Temptations and mom has to fight me off with everything she's got! lol! The treats also have to be kept behind lock and key because I can jump onto anything as well as climb into anything (mom once woke up to find the bag all torn up beside her pillow, crumbs and pieces of paper everywhere, almost all of the treats "mysteriously" missing). *sigh* But mom says she wouldn't trade that for anything in the world. It's just one of my strange quirks, lol
  • Debra SchwartzDebra Schwartz PortlandMember Posts: 20
    edited 27 February, 2006
    you might try raw food. they go crazy for it. it's going to change your cat, everything is better for them and about them when they are on raw food. if they don't like it try to get the cheap food and mix some in for flavor. that seems to help! good luck!
  • Veronica MorrisVeronica Morris El Cerrito/SF Bay areaMember Posts: 14,677
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Have you tried Innova Evo? I brought home a bag of it and my cats went crazy... as soon as I got in the door! I usually leave the bag on the floor under the table in the kitchen, and when I first bought it the cats actually broke into the bag the first day! It's a fairly thick bag and they tore it open and were eating it like crazy... (so much for switching slowly). That or regular Innova, which they also like a whole lot, tho not as much as the Evo. I usually reccomend either feeding the raw food diet or Innova Evo... Currently our cats and dog are on Evo but the raw food diet has been in the back of our heads for a while now.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Mine were the same way with Evo. I tried to switch them slowly, but they refused to eat their old food anymore. They\'d just dig through and find the pieces of Evo. Even after all the Evo was gone from the dish, they refused to eat the old stuff.
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    believe me i've tried every kind of high quality food but they refuse to eat it. i've also tried giving them raw meat and such for treats but they just let it sit till i Have to toss it out. :S
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    As a kitty who eats raw food, I can tell you that it's usually the smell that's the issue. In other words, the canned food is usually smellier and more attractive to us. Part of the reason that tuna is known as "crack for cats" is because it's so fragrant and tempting to us that we refuse all other foods once we've gotten an appetite for tuna. You might want to try some "bribe foods," like mixing in the juice from the cheaper canned foods, or even using some tamari soy sauce (there are other bribe foods described in Anitra Frazier's "New Natural Cat" book). One other thing - it may take some stubbornness on the human's part. She might want to try not to back down and give you what you want. Cats in the wild don't get a meal at a regular time every day, and our bodies are designed to manage a fast once in a while when prey is not available. So getting you to eat the new, healthier food could just be a matter of letting you refuse a meal or two until you are so hungry you'll eat anything. (of course, we kitties know that we'll probably be able to bug our humans so much that they'll back down before we do!!!!)
  • Jan CrockerJan Crocker PlacentiaMember Posts: 241
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Don't ask: I LOVE Hill's Science Diet Hairball Control Light (it's available only as dry food). It's about as top shelf as any cat food could be, and it works a miracle in keeping me hairball free -- and that's a miracle in itself, given how much hair I have and how much I love to groom -- as well as holding my weight steady at a svelte nine pounds. Here's the kicker: The stuff ROCKS! Even though I'm a "grazer," I never get tired of it. From what I heard from Mom, her parents' cat feels the same way about it. Anyway, that's my two cents' worth on Hairball Light. I'm giving it two paws up on taste! :-)
  • Michelle MeyersMichelle Meyers WacoMember Posts: 835
    edited 27 February, 2006
    < Mom talking> My Irish is very pickey, unless he's trying to hijack food from my plate. When we got him he just did not want to eat a thing. We finally got him on Royal Canin and that is all he will eat, cept a lil fancy feast once in a blue moon. He sticks his nose up in the air at everything else. But he is really picky on cat treats and only likes Whiskas's Temptations.
    Hattie\'s right (as usual...purr). Kitties can get addicted to \"junk food\" and the humans have to get strict with them to break through that. Even some of the \"premium\" brands are pretty \"junky\" if you look at the ingredient list. Someone mentioned Science Diet Hairball Light. Here are the first four ingredients in that food: Chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, corn meal Note the lack of actual meat. Cats are carnivores and need meat, not just by-products, to be healthy. They don\'t need rice or corn at all.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    actually i was really thinking of switching the cats to a raw diet but don't know which ones are better(or less exoensive for the quality) there are no places where i live that sells the food directly and i have no desire to make it myself(nor the time) and buying online is a bit iffy. if anyone has any info on a good supplier i would be very appreciative!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Two-Tone, I hear you! That\'s one of the reasons we started making our own -- we know exactly what\'s in the food now! If my human was daring enough, she\'d start a cat food making business. Sometimes, I hear, there are smaller pet food stores that sell frozen food, but I haven\'t tried any of the brands, so I can\'t lead you one way or the other. Anyway, if your human does decide to experiment with making food for you, please check Dr. Richard Pitcairn\'s book (usually available at Barnes & Noble or Amazon). There is a recipe there that contains just a few ingredients, and it will be nutritionally balanced for you. If your human can get ground turkey at the local people food store, it makes it even easier. My human has it set up so it only takes about 30 minutes to make 10 days worth of food. She keeps most of it frozen in little containers so only a little at a time is thawed in the refrigerator. Yes, it takes more time to prepare than just opening a can or pouring out dry food, but most of the time is spent all at once, so it\'s not so bad. It\'s certainly not like this craziness I see with my human complaining about making her own dinners every night!
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    A lot of foods are laden with sweeteners to make us love them. The quality foods don't so it may take time to get used to them. We switched from Iams to Innova lite. We loved it right away. Now we're getting this powdered vitamin mix on our food. We weren't too sold on that at first, but we're getting used to it.
    Hattie, you should help your humans make their food. Since it\'s taking them that long every day, they obviously don\'t know what they are doing and need more supervision from you. I think one thing that doesn\'t get stated enough in the whole dry/canned/raw debate is that it doesn\'t have to be all or nothing. I sometimes hear humans say that they can\'t feed raw because they are out of the house for many hours during the day and their cat(s) can\'t go that long without food. Well, they can still feed a raw breakfast and supper and leave dry food down for snacking during the day. They may even find that raw food fills us up and we don\'t need to snack on kibble as much.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Alex, I would much rather supervise than help make the human's food. In fact, I am waiting for the day when my she gets tired of making her own food and starts cooking up some of mine for herself. Ooh, would THAT be fun to watch. You make a good point about mixing the types of food, and people's approaches and mindset about food availability. In our natural state, we don't have food available to us without having to hunt it down, so it's not a tragedy if we don't have food during the middle of the day. It's not like a bird or a mouse or whatever stops by our lair at a given time and says, "Hi, I'm your dinner this evening!" The "nosh" factor of having the bowl of dry around is more a human thing (let's face it, we're pretty good at guilting them!). I wouldn't want this to get around to the humans, but some doctors advocate feeding kitties just ONCE A DAY -- no snacks left out for our convenience. Some will even tell you that an occasional one day fast with just water or broth will do us good and actually increase energy! I have not had dry kibble around for nearly two years -- just morning and evening meals of raw food (or the occasional serving of PetGuard canned) -- and I have been doing just fine at a trim 8.5 pounds. But that's not to say I don't occasionally ambush the human when I feel it's dinnertime! Meow!!!!!!!
    Hattie, that is the tip of the iceberg. So much of what humans think they know about pet nutrition is based on advertising from petfood companies and inferences that they have drawn from human nutrition. Frequent meals are good for humans because they derive a lot of their energy from fast-burning carbohydrates, so they need to keep their engines stoked, so to speak. We kitties use protein and fat for our energy and these burn more slowly. I think kitties that eat certain commercial diets feel a need to graze because their nutritional needs aren\'t being completely met and that causes them to feel hungry a lot of the time.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    That is a very good point, Alex. You\'re absolutely right!
  • Elizabeth MobleyElizabeth Mobley BirminghamMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have read enough to be convinced that Innova Evo is probably the best stuff out there? How much do you pay for it? Anyone? :)
    I would rather starve myself to death than eat raw food! I turn my nose up at that. I also don't like canned tuna so I don't think it's a smell issue. I don't like any human food - cheese, ham, shrimp, fish - only cat food. That's the same with Inky. Believe me mummy has tried. However she would like to say that one of her cats lived to 14 and the other to 20 years old eating store bought cat food (wet and dry). They also loved some human food and were very health cats until the last. I realise a lot is written and said about a raw diet but surely it's the preference of your cat and you what to feed them.
  • Jennifer SchallyJennifer Schally Member Posts: 820
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey Cat Trina, I was looking around on the web for Innova Evo. The cheapest I found was $30.00 for a 15 lb. bag. My mommy feeds us a mix of Iams and Eukanuba kitten food. My mommy heard that we should get kitten food until we are one year old. Does anyone have any info on that?? We also get treats sometimes pounce or whisker lickins but mom is phasing those out in favor of the new Feline GReenies that she just bought that we LOVE.
  • Jennifer SchallyJennifer Schally Member Posts: 820
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hello all , Like Andre said our mommy feeds us a mix of Iams and Eukanuba. What does anyone think if she added Innova Evo to the mix???
  • Cynthia StichCynthia Stich Member Posts: 762
    edited 27 February, 2006
    IMO I feed all of mine Wellness canned and Wellness dry (about 50/50). I avoid excessive fish intake-- only occassionally and not one of the first 3-4 ingrediants...this is just MY opinion - you can disagree. I do this as cats are prone to urinary problems - and fish tend to have increased magnesium- a possible risk factor for urinary problems. One of my cats, Tiger, according to my vet, is high risk for FUS or \"Feline Urinary Syndrome\". Wellness also has a small amount of cranberries. As Gypsy is older, and I think getting a little stiff - I also like the fact that it also contains Chondroitin Sulfate, and Glucosamine- often given for arthritis (although not of PROVEN benefit...) Wellness has a higher percentage of good grade protein/less carbs than many other brands, and I also feed canned in addition to dry so they get that extra bit of fluid -- also a good thing to prevent urinary problems. I found this article interesting, and have used it to guide me in choosing a food. Link: CatFoodInfolLink I think RAW is great..but as a working parent with kids - have a hard enough time feeding the humans LOLOL. Also - the thought of having raw meat on my floor kind of grosses me out...eeecchhh. However - in different circumstances I might try it!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    my mommy just got us a tin of Merrick brand wet cat food and we Love it!!! normally, as posted before, we turn our noses up at high quality food but we scarffed this stuff down! now mommy has to spend more money and buy use more once our old wet food runs out!
  • Megan NelsonMegan Nelson Member Posts: 189
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I used to eat ICKY food (Iams, Purina, Science Diet) but now Mommy finally found a palce to get GOOD kitty food! Mom buys really good food for the doggies so now she has to buy really good food for me too! She said something about Innova EVO kitty... I REALLY liked that sample. And maybe HealthWise... I hope it tastes good... Rascal, Baby, Rasza, SpringerLover, Buzz, and Bailey
  • mailani hornmailani horn san pedroMember Posts: 173
    edited 27 February, 2006
    the reason most cats prefer junky dry food is that it is sprayed with an addictive taste powder. the cats actually become somewhat addicted to it. the higher quality foods do not use this and that is why cats will go for the cheaper food. always make sure to check that the first ingredient is real meat, no by-products. even science-diet is bad. the only reason vets recommend it is becuase they get a commision off selling it.
  • Alison MacDonaldAlison MacDonald SomervilleMember Posts: 343
    edited 27 February, 2006
    another good raw book is kymythy schultz ultimate nutrition for dogs and cats.N\'bikay, Innova evo is a great food. i think once your person compares the ingredients to that of iams and eukanuba she\'ll wonder why she should even bother to continue feeding them! merrick is another good one, also solid gold and chicken soup for the cat lovers soul.