Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

How long can wet food stay out

Nancy RNancy R Member Posts: 63
edited 13 November, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
We've been switched to mostly canned food (presciption diet). How long can the wet food stay out before it should be thrown out and a fresh can served? Bandit

Comments

• Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don\'t know how many times a day you get fed, but I wouldn\'t feed the whole can at once, but rather divide into smaller servings, so that you are not likely to leave much behind. The food that remains in the can should be refrigerated until the next feeding. You should leave it out at room temperature for a while before putting it in the cat\'s bowl.
  • Courtney HaasCourtney Haas trentonMember Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I usually divide mine too, and put some in a paper plate and the rest in the fridge. This way the cat bowl doesnt start to smell like canned food, and you can just throw the plate away.
  • Nancy RNancy R Member Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks for the advice! :) meows ! Bandit
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mommy feeds us a 1/4 can of Fancy Feast twice a day. If we refrigerate half of the can, mommy usually mixes in hot water to soften it up a bit.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Methinks a can of food will last a few hours. Does your Human give you the entire can? If you can't finish a whole can right away, then perhaps it would be better if your Human feeds you half a can for each meal. That way the food won't have to sit in your bowl.
  • Nancy RNancy R Member Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, there are 3 of us here and we're all going to eat mostly canned food as suggested by the cat doctor. Our mom and dad both work and are away for about 10 hours a day. We get one can of food to share and some dry food snack and then some fresh wet food when they return at night. In the past, wet food was a special treat so we gobbled it all up right away, but now that it's normal (and nasty prescription food) we don't gobble it up. Mommy is worried that it will go bad sitting out all day.
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think it will be fine if it is not sitting in the sun and your house is cool. When mum goes away on the weekend and our human sister comes here 2X a day, we get a can of food in the morning, and if it's gone, another at nite. Other wise, we only get a few TBS at a time when she is home all day.