The Right Food

Rachel GibbonsRachel Gibbons LongmontMember Posts: 1,686
edited 12 February, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Hi, this is Calli!:-h I was wondering about multi-cat homes.:-k Should a multi-cat home, like mine %:D% have cat food that is specificaly made for multi-cat homes?:-k Or, does normal food work for multi-cat homes? What is the best kind of food for a situation like mine? Calli and her Gurl :^:

Comments

• Jana PhillipsJana Phillips RaleighMember Posts: 846
    edited 19 January, 2007
    I recommend and all life stages food. This includes: Natural Balance, Innova cat, Innova EVO, Nature's Variety, Solid Gold, and Felidae. (correct me if I left some out, lol).
  • Megan ParnellMegan Parnell Member Posts: 261
    edited 20 January, 2007
    Well, I have a sister and a brother, and Mom's challenge is with getting the right amount of food into each kitty. Gypsy is skinny and doesn't eat particularly well. She also really prefers wet food to dry food. Iggie is a big fatty and isn't very active, and he LOVES to eat. Kibble, wet food, whatever! Mom says I'm a piggy, but I just have to eat a lot because I zoom really fast! I might eat a lot, but I'm not a fatty like Igor. What worked for Mom was feeding a small amount of kibble twice a day (we eat Natural Balance and Innova, because that's what Gypsy picked in a taste test...I hate how much attention Mommy pays to Gypsy at dinner time, but I have to admit, she picked two yummy foods!), and then she feeds us wet food four times a day. Because we eat the wet food right up, she can get more food in Gypsy that way. Plus, Mom's spoiled girl cat likes the wet better. Since moving to a predominantly wet food diet, Mom's noticed better poopies than when we got two little feedings of wet food and mostly dry food. Many feline nutritionists are starting to recommend a 100% wet food diet for us felines, saying that it more closely matches the nutrition our wild ancestors needed. And a lot of people think that losing kibble means worse teeth, but that' s not true. Us cats don't really chew our food. We crack it. There's little abrasion on the teeth to help with cleaning. In fact, Iggie eats LOTS more dry than Gypsy, and he's the only one who needs his teeth cleaned. Good luck finding the right food or combination of foods for your pride!
  • Desiree BrookeDesiree Brooke MechanicsvilleMember Posts: 63
    edited 22 January, 2007
    It's tough to find the right food. My mommie is a vet student and is pretty picky about the food me and my buddies eat. When she's in school I live by myself, but when I go home, there are 5 other mouths to feed! There's a reason companies have formulations for life stages believe it or not! All life stage food is a bad idea. All that means is that 50% of your cats are getting the appropriate nutrient intake! Younger cats, for example, need a great calcium to phosphorus ratio because they have growing bone! Older cats may need a more highly digestible diet as their intestinal tract isn't able to pull nutrients out of food as efficiently as it once did! In general, kitten food is for cats less than a year old. Geriatric cats are considered to be older than 8 years. So in between these times, an adult cat food is great! Separate feedings is always an option, as free choice feeding does promote weight gain in some cats! Right now my mommie feeds me Hill's Science diet light because I'm a neutered male indoor cat with the potential to get a little porky! Hope some of this helps :) Jackson
  • Sarah HooverSarah Hoover BrantfordMember Posts: 95
    edited 4 February, 2007
    My Maw and Paw feed us foods with human grade ingredients, because they want what's best for us. They want us to look and feel beautiful. My Maw carefully reads the labels to make sure we're getting the healthiest food possible. She avoids things like corn, wheat, soy, by-products, or added fats or sugars. My Maw used to work at a health food store for animals, and she learned and studied A LOT about animal nutrition, so I think she knows what she's talking about;) I feel GREAT anyway...and I feel good too.;c;
  • Karyn LehmannKaryn Lehmann redlandsMember Posts: 247
    edited 12 February, 2007
    Royal Canin makes a food called special 33. for multi cat households it works great! No chems or by-products.