Calming Collors, Rescue Remedy, Other stuff???

Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
edited 3 March, 2012 in Behavior & Training
Do calming collors really work? How do they work? Do they make the kitty act like he took a prozack, or do they just take the edge off, and they act their normal selfs? How about Rescue Remedy? What other stuff is there out there? Thanks! :-h=;|:|

Comments

• Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 29 February, 2012
    I can say that Calming Collars work for dogs. I haven't put mine on Hunter, and don't really need to. But for my dog, they just make her mellow out. She isn't comatose. It just gets rid of her anxiety. If Hunter needed one, I'd definitely get one for him, as I know they work.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 29 February, 2012
    The calming collars you get at places like Petco and all of that don't work. I heard they fall apart easy and they don't work very well. If you get a calming collar from the girl who used to be here on Catster who makes them to fit, they work!!! I have a story about how it helped me and Finnegan here: http://ibdkitties.net/giftshops.html.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 1 March, 2012
    The kittens have traveled together, since they were 8 weeks old, whereas, Bump has gone by himself, since day one. One kitten gets very upset, when he has to travel by himself, as in, he is the only one that has to go to the vet for his booster stuff. I need to teach him, he can, go by himself, so I just need something, that is only going to take the edge off, not like giving him a prozack, and just acting his normal self, which is otherwise, very outgoing. Bump was taught from the beginning, to go by himself, I think I made a mistake, in not teaching the kittens, one can go by theirselfs. One does, not a prob at all, the other, gets very upset, need to correct this. Appreciate your help. :-h=;|:|
  • Michelle BrundrettMichelle Brundrett Grand PrairieMember Posts: 405
    edited 3 March, 2012
    Rescue Remedy has worked amazingly for Tia. I have used it with her during stressful situations...it didn't make her act "different" just calm. When I have to take her to the vet, I use it for the car ride because she does not like going in the car at all.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 3 March, 2012
    Is Rescue Remedy something you give them, like in their wet food? How much do you give, and is it going to last for the whole round trip to the vet, like there, the vet visit and back, like about 3 hrs? I am thinking, if this does work, I can slowly decrease the dosage, and take him on training rides, by himself, so he can learn, its not a baddy thing, just as he learned other training issues in kitten boot camp, mol. Can't believe I made such a stupid mistake, not teaching them to ride by their selfs. He is otherwise very well behaved and very playful and outgoing at home. And when he travels with his brother, they both sleep the whole way, and very well behaved at the vets. Appreciate your help. :-h=;|:|
  • Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 3 March, 2012
    YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TOFIND RESCUE REMEDY AT ANY HEALTH FOOD STORE YOU ADD A FEW DROPS TO WATER. BUT, THIS IS AN ONGOING THING AND MY DESERT DIDN`T LIKE IT. IT DOES HELP A BIT THOUGH AND IS GOOD FOR HUMANS TOO.