Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

kitten for not-really-cat-social cat?

Sierra NicoleSierra Nicole Member Posts: 2
edited 12 March, 2012 in Choosing the Right Cat
I currently have a divided family. My kitty Yuki doesn't really want other bigger cats too near to her but has been progressing. She is fine as long as they keep a few feet away and don't surprise her. (Thinking this stemmed from being declawed and then thrown into the wild.) She is full grown but still a pretty tiny cat. There are two other cats who get along with each other fine in my household. I have considered getting a kitten in hopes of a companion for the younger cat, who is about 2, to play with but also for Yuki who gets restless by herself. Yuki doesn't really play currently. Hopefully I explained that well enough and included all the pertinent info. Thanks!

Comments

• Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 12 March, 2012
    Some cats just do not like company. Maizy here, would be thrilled if she was the only cat - she was for 3 years, but she also did not grow up with a cat family - I raised her from 1 week old. It sounds like your kitty had some trauma, and it takes time for them to overcome things. Maybe a little of an older cat that can still play with your young cat, but is not at crazy as a kitten might work. The last thing you want to do is upset her even more. Maizy will play with the boys once in a while, so it is not totally hopeless - you just have to pay attention to what they all need