knots!

brittney maionebrittney maione KilleenMember Posts: 3
edited 13 November, 2005 in Grooming
my cat has a problem. she has this massive knot on her back near her tail. we gave her a bath hoping that would loosen it up, but it's really, really bad. it's very close to her skin and brushing it doesn't seem to be working. and it obviously hurts by the way she reacts to us touching it. any advice on what to do?

Comments

• Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, all I know is that you should NOT try to cut knots out yourself. It's too easy to seriously hurt your kittie. I think there is a post in this forum about this subject, but couldn't find it. Maybe you'd have better luck? Sorry, it's late here and I need to turn in :-). Good luck!
  • Alison MacDonaldAlison MacDonald SomervilleMember Posts: 343
    edited 27 February, 2006
    if you bring her to a groomer they should be able to shave it off with electric clippers(if she'll tolerate that). and it always better to not wash a matted animal as the washing and then drying process only tightens the matt( much like a knot in a rope when it gets wet and then dries)
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    definately take her to a local cat groomer and get it clipped out! take it from a cat groomer, you do Not want to do this yourself. depending on how old your cat is you might want to think about getting it shaved regularly, if it doesn't groom itself anymore/as often, or bnrushing every day/ every other day.
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Doodles (love your name). Hum, well mum cuts all of our knots out. If they get that bad, tho, especially on the hindquarters where they do not like to be touched, it is difficult. We take our cats to the groomers as a last resort, simply b/c it terrorizes them. Mom just works on them a bit at a time until they get loose enough to get a comb under. She never cuts any w/o putting a comb under it. It takes a lot of patience and time, but that is how she does it. If it is causing too much stress, you may have to go to the groomer. Get a good slicker brush and have your mom brush you everyday. Once the knot is out, this will really help to cut down on the problem to begin with. Good luck Doodles!
  • brittney maionebrittney maione KilleenMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ooh, thanks everyone. me and my dad ended up shaving her with his hair clippers, haha. it worked though. she just looks silly. i think she appreciates it on the inside though.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Doodles, shaving is the safest way to go! Sometimes when I'd get knots my mom would shave them because she's seen too many kitties get cut by their moms and dads taking the sissors to them. Ouch! Your fur will grow back in no time.... *smiles*
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    What kind of shaver do you use? How do you do that? Maybe mum could try on us?
  • Alison MacDonaldAlison MacDonald SomervilleMember Posts: 343
    edited 27 February, 2006
    the clippers i use at work are andis ultra. if you have not shaved down a cat before,i must caution you it is not easy. if you are not familiar with the way the skin stretches in certain areas you can very easily cut your kitty. their skin is VERY thin and elastic. they don't get just a cut like you or me , once it is cut the wound continues to stretch and get bigger... i believe i saw that there is another kitty groomer on here who would second that. if you MUST do it yourself at home, NEVER force the clippers through the hair or under tangles. not alot of pressure is needed to guide clippers through cat hair. you could always ask a local groomer to show you. they may charge a fee for the lesson, but it would be worth it in the long run IMHO.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom uses an Oster A5 Power Pro cordless clipper. Like Aleister mentioned you do have to be careful if you are going to clip at home. In some places where the skin folds(like around the neck, legs ect.) you can easily nick a kitty and give them a nasty cut. For most people, it's just easier to have a groomer do it and usually doesn't cost that much.