Merrick Before Grain Canned Food?

Kaona DuffieldKaona Duffield Hamilton, ONMember Posts: 93
edited 3 June, 2012 in Food & Nutrition
Hey all. Premium canned cat food is ridiculously expensive over here in Canada and rarely ever sold in cases, so since I go to the States once a month to visit relatives, I've decided to start buying their food there. I am switching my three to an all canned diet soon. Is Merrick Before Grain a top notch food? It seems great to me, as one of the concerns I've had with the past foods I've bought them is they're too veggie heavy, but Merrick boasts that their before grain line foods are 96% meat. Are there any concerns I should have about this food, or is it as great as I think it is? And if it is, which source of protein is best for my cats? They have chicken, turkey, salmon and beef, so I'm not sure which one to pick. I just really want to find a food for my cats that I can feel great about feeding them and stick to, because I'm kind of getting tired of constantly being on the hunt for a healthier food for them. :))

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 31 May, 2012
    Merrick's Before Grain is good :) You don't need to stick with one protein source. Many cats like to have variety in the diet. Just limit the fish to once in awhile meals.
  • Kaona DuffieldKaona Duffield Hamilton, ONMember Posts: 93
    edited 31 May, 2012
    Thanks for your response :) Also, is there a big quality difference between Soulistic and Before Grain? Those are really the only foods I've been considering because the recent recalls worry me.
    edited 1 June, 2012
    The only difference is that Soulistic is chunks/slices of food wheras Before Grain is just pate/loaf. And I think Soulistic is made in a Human-grade food facility. Soulistic The company that makes Soulistic also makes Weruva that is sold only at specialty pet stores. You can rotate between Before Grain and Soulistic :) Some cats like to have a variety of textures and meats.
  • Laurel KowalskiLaurel Kowalski Gateway to the WestMember Posts: 486
    edited 1 June, 2012
    Come soon to the US!! Soulistic is on SALE at Petco. All unopened cases of 8 or 12 are $5 off until 6/16. Check out my post on how much you can SAVE: http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/746234 http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/745778 If you are coming for the super sale on 6/9-10/12, woofwoofmama blog has the link for the Petco $5 off $25 coupon. Have you tried Nature's Variety canned food?
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 2 June, 2012
    All I can say is be watchful of the cans, make sure they had a proper seal, and use your nose to smell to make sure it does not smell off. We no longer feed this food. Merricks has now purchased Castor and Pollux company.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2012
    For a bit we ate this food. We liked all the flavors really well and Mom liked that it came in small cans but Mom stopped feeding it to us and she can't remember why exactly. She had been trying a few brands and stopped this one. I know that is no help though. Brownie had asked if you tried the Natures Variety food and we really like their Natures Variety Instinct canned Chicken.
    edited 2 June, 2012
    Nature's Variety is something I have always wanted to try the cats on, but even at Petco in the States, it's about $23 for 12 5.5 oz cans, which unfortunately is way out of my price range. as that is about $1.92 per can, whereas Merrick's BG would have been %1.48 a can when purchased in a case. However, Shadow's post has made me nervous about Before Grain, so I think I'm going to try them on Soulistic instead.
    edited 2 June, 2012
    $23 for the 12 oz cans? Are you buying the dog food ones? The Instinct dog canned food can be fed to cats. Same formula, just different can size :) Shop around at different pet stores for the best prices. Nature's Variety is sold at Petco now and you can still find the brand at small independent non-chain pet stores and specialty pet stores. The smaller stores tend to give customers discounts on large purchases of food and sales. Nature's variety has coupons sometimes, too. You have to sign up to receive them on their web site or call their customer service number. Shadow, did you contact Merrick and let them know that the cans had a bad seal? Most companies will give you a refund or at least coupons for free food.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 2 June, 2012
    For Natures Variety small cans we would have to pay 2.79 plus tax for a 6 oz can. For the 12 oz dog food cans (same formula as cat food) is 3.79$ Yes I live in Canada too, but on an Island. Wish we could feed it as part of rotation but its just too expensive. As per the Merricks, I have taken cans back before, this last time, I just had enough. Also im not the only one, lots of complaints over at itchmoforums. (with picture) yikes! We are still trying to add raw into rotation. I dont want anyone to feel nervous, just aware, no pet food is perfect unfortunately.
    edited 3 June, 2012
    Shadow- It's fine, I'm glad you informed me. I know you weren't trying to make me nervous... lol. I just really worry about their health and all these recalls and issues with the pet food lately scares the heck out of me, I don't know what I'd do if my cats or my dog got very ill or worse. I picked up the Soulistic yesterday, I paid $1.39 per 5.5 oz can unfortunately, since apparently you could only get the sale price if you have their pet pals card thing. But I can be happy with that, because most 5.5 oz cans of premium food here are $2.00 each. I bought the cats 8 cans of the Harvest Sunrise kind (chicken and pumpkin in gravy), and also one can of the Good Karma chicken (just chicken in gravy). I'm having a relative that's already planning on going to the States next weekend pick up a lot more cans, and I've signed up for the pet pals card now so I think I can get the sale price. I fed the cats Soulistic's Harvest Sunrise for their morning meal and all three LOVED it, I have honestly never seen them eat so much in one sitting. Thanks so much to those of you that recommended Soulistic, and those of you that gave input on this thread in general :) sorry for the super long post, I tend to rant a little :))
  • Laurel KowalskiLaurel Kowalski Gateway to the WestMember Posts: 486
    edited 3 June, 2012
    KitKat, So you just signed up for the PALS card on this trip. And you got 8 cans in the unopened case chicken with pumpkin. Right... Then I recommend that you call the PALS customer service number. Explain that you had other PALS members suggest to buy their Solistic brand that was on sale. Also tell them the sale associate did not offer to sign you up to get the PALS saving on that purchase to save you the $5 that was in the printed ad until you had already checked out. Tell them you made a special trip to get it on sale & plan to visit them again in the near future but that $5 saving would have helped you pay for gas to buy more from them. I'm hoping they will give you a printable $5 coupon to your new PALS account online. They did that for me. I played the Rewards Push game on Facebook and my points did not credit to my account automatically. They gave me my points and an extra $5 coupon. They have very nice customer service reps. I would love to hear if they give you $5 or a $10 credit to print on your PALS account. Post back here! PALS number 1-888-24-7257 I was at Petco today to get 2 bags of free Wellness kibble with my sister. I saw the Nature's Variety chicken 12 cans case for $22.49 in the 5.5 oz dog section. They had zero unopened cases in the cat section. But now that you are a PALS member, you can watch for the NV sale, like 15%.