Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

FINALLY figured out perfect diet plan for my cat!!

Allison GrunwaldAllison Grunwald Member Posts: 55
edited 6 June, 2012 in Food & Nutrition
So Tutu is a teeniebeenie compared to the average cat. When I adopted her two years ago she was about 8 lbs and 8 years old. As soon as she started living with us she started to gain weight. I couldn't figure out why, because I measured and counted and the food she was being given, a mix of kibble and canned food, should have been the right amount for her size. But she kept gaining. :( Then my vet said something that gave me an epiphany.... "some cats just gain weight from canned food". And because Tutu ONLY eats Fancy Feast (sigh) no KIDDING she gained weight on that stuff.... But right now we're in France where she does not like their canned food at ALL and barely ate ANYthing last year... .But from the advice of a friend, we tried a new brand of cat food - cheap stuff - but in packets. Our friend said she gives her cat 1.5 packs morning/evening and just leaves it out in the bowl and he nibbles on it occasionally. He's a teeniebeenie too, so I thought I'd try. Now, since Tutu needs to lose weight, we're starting with 2 packets a day (it says 2-3), plus the occasional Happy Hips chicken treat. AND IT WORKS!!! I haven't weighed her yet but she is visibly less chunky. AND SO SO ACTIVE!!! She's playing all day with her mousie. Just felt like sharing my discovery. Does anyone else feed their cat this way? I was honestly worried about leaving the food out, but we don't get many bugs and I throw it away if it's left out for too long.

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 2 June, 2012
    What is the name of the food? how many calories are in it? Ingredients? If you want her to loose weight you need to do this very slowly. Cats can get hepatic lipidosis if they are put on a crash diet, and dont get enough calories. There is a formula on how many calories to feed a diet for an overweight cat. Let me know the details and I will let you know how to go about this. Have you read catinfo.org?? there is a page on there which tells you how to go about this.=;
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 2 June, 2012
    Some cats are naturally on the small side, just like how some Humans are :? As long as the vet gives your cat a complete check up and says she is healthy, I wouldn't worry about her size. What food are you feeding? Most pet food ccompaies tell you to feed more food than you really should be :? This is more of a marketing thing: feed more so you use up the food more quickly and have to buy more food more often :?
  • Allison GrunwaldAllison Grunwald Member Posts: 55
    edited 2 June, 2012
    I'm feeding her Monoprix brand 100g packets twice a day. http://courses.monoprix.fr/RIDE/4-recettes-saumon-thon-colin-et-crevettes-vitamines-b1-d3-e-1444606 This is the same brand a friend uses here in France. It comes in 8 flavors, 4 seafood 4 meat/poultry. Mixed in is the occasional chunk of carrot or green bean (must be for indoor cats). I doubt she's being underfed because she pecks at the food throughout the day and only whines for more when human food is around. (Nothing new). She's only lost some chub around her butt, so I can tell it's not a drastic change. I'm going to have to see what is available in the US (I know Whiskas has packets, but I'm glad she doesn't like those.) When I'm back to paying in US dollars, I can afford a little better food.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 2 June, 2012
    The ingreSLICED SALMON IN JELLY, THE CARROT AND COLIN: Meat and animal by-products, fish and fish products (salmon min. 5% and colin min. 5%), vegetables (carrots min. 4%), minerals , sugars, dyes: EC additives. SLICED IN FROZEN TUNA, COD AND THE BEANS: Meat and animal by-products, and byproducts were asking fish (tuna min. 5% and cod min. 5%), vegetables (green beans min. 4%) , minerals, sugars, dyes: additifsCE. SLICED IN JELLY TO COLIN, A SARDINE AND PEAS: Meat and animal by-products, fish and fish byproducts (colin min. 5% and sardine min. 5%), vegetables (peas min. 4% ), minerals, sugars, dyes: EC additives. SLICED IN THE FROZEN SHRIMP AND CARRELET diddle: animal by-products, crustaceans (shrimp min. 5%), fish and fish products (plaice min. 5%), vegetables (carrots min. 4%), minerals , sugars, dyes: EC additivesdients I translated to english looks like alot of fish, and vegies, see if you can limit this food to once a week. Hopefully you can find some other foods aswell :) I could not find how many calories are in the food.
  • Allison GrunwaldAllison Grunwald Member Posts: 55
    edited 6 June, 2012
    There are 8 different varieties, including various types of fish, shrimp, rabbit, lamb, beef, duck, and poultry. Normal French cat food. No reason not to just use this. Calories are not given but on the package it has serving suggestions per kilogram that the cat weighs.