Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Raw lamb diet

Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
edited 2 September, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
Meow! I'm still trying to figure out why I'm so itchy, and the human thinks it might be time for me to try a new protein source. Anyone out there have any luck with resolving their allergy issues by eating raw lamb?

Comments

• MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Baaaaa...
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Selket, you silly kitty! I'm being serious now! Prrrrrr.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    A few years back, my vet put me on a hypo-allergenic diet and it was turkey based. Don't know much about lamb. How about mouse?? ;-)
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hee hee hee, Beatrice! Mouse! Yes, I tried that one a few months ago, but the human freaked out and wouldn\'t let me eat the danged thing. She said, \"don\'t eat things when you don\'t know where they come from.\" But I knew where it came from: the hole in the wall near the radiator in the kitchen! Apparently that was the WRONG answer. *sigh*
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    A lamb diet has done wonders for our dogs. They are allergic to chicken--gives 'em the itchies. They started eating California Natural, and Wysong Anergen. No more itchies. They are going to get some rare cooked lamb with rice too.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks, Moo Cow!
  • Alison MacDonaldAlison MacDonald SomervilleMember Posts: 343
    edited 27 February, 2006
    my kitties sometimes get raw(more as a treat because they won't switch to a completely raw diet) and i found lamb to be too rich for them. you could also try duck or rabbit.
  • Jennifer McMillionJennifer McMillion BeckleyMember Posts: 230
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My dog brother eats raw duck and turkey and it has helped him SO much with his allergies. Not sure how that would work with a cat though. Are you definitely looking for something raw? I've heard Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal is good for allergies, if you are wanting to try a dry food. Mom feeds the dogs raw, but hasn't switched us. She'd be intereted in learning more about raw for cats too though.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mmmmm, duck is an interesting thought! We\'ll see if we can find a good source. Just after I posted the original message, my human started making raw lamb, and I didn\'t like it AT ALL. But maybe if I stay in the bird family I\'ll do better. Capone, if you\'d like to know more about raw, just mail me and I can give you some more info. I\'ve been eating raw food (chicken/turkey) for close to two years now, and I love it!
  • Carissa DuttonCarissa Dutton New Westminster / Burnaby / VaMember Posts: 122
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I know some of the richer raw foods aren\'t good for our kitty tummies. Mom mostly sticks to chicken with us. When I first tried buffalo, I loved it so much I scarfed it down. Unfortunately it didn\'t stay down for long and went back out the same way. Mom switched me back to chicken ... then decided to try me one last time on buffalo and I haven\'t had problems since. So that\'s my story. Speaking of which I raided the freezer last night and mom has to go pick up some more cat food. There\'s only 2 packages left! Lots of tripe for that darned d-o-g though.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Wow! Where did your person get buffalo?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    (Human speaking) There's a store in North Vancouver (about 40 mins from my house) it specializes in raw foods for cats and dogs. Only store of its kind in Vancouver. The meat they sell is of a better quality than humans eat, because they eat it raw and us humans cook the meat first to get rid of bacteria. They also sell supplements there. The lady who runs the store has been feeding raw for over 10 years. It's a little more expensive than feeding kibble but it's worth it. I spent $120 for 3 months of food for 2 cats. This is the store we go to: http://www.intherawpetfood.com/
  • Karlee UrbanoskiKarlee Urbanoski CalgaryMember Posts: 85
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don\'t have any allergies but my furry canine friend Cheech does, our Mum feeds him raw buffalo and his itchies went away!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks for the info! Vancouver is a way far away from us (we are on the East Coast of the US), but I'll have my human take a look at the webpage and see if there are options closer to home.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Hattie- I see you\'re in NJ and I think BRAVO has distributers in your state. They carry buffalo(which the doggies her eat) along with elk, quail and ostrich to name a few. http://www.bravorawdiet.com/retailers.html
    edited 27 February, 2006
    thanks for the info, Xavier!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Just for a quick laugh, here's Mom's freezer fulll of frozen cat & dog food: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/