Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

XL Litter Boxes?

Charity JonesCharity Jones Valencia, San Fernando Valley,Member Posts: 423
Hey all! Does anyone know who makes a good quality extra large litter box? Right now, we just have the standard size they sell @ the pet store, but a few of us are having a really hard time fitting our bodies in their comfortably. We\'d like a big one with a cover on it, preferably.

Comments

• eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 16 September, 2009
    Booda Domes are pretty roomy, other cats have also mentioned using a rubbermaid tub and cutting a door in it. We're going to have the same problem soon as both of us are growing into very large boys :)
  • Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
    Hi Beanie, At our house we have 4 cats and that can translate into a lotta poop. Mom is one of those people who uses the rubbermaid containers. It SO much better than a regular litter box. Mom was going crazy cleaning the regular sized boxes becasue I am so big. I had a terrible time fitting in them and sometimes I would miss the box completely because my rump was sticking out of the box (while the rest of me was in it). Mom cut a large hole in the small side for a door (leaving the container about 7 or 8 inched deep for litter) and used a lighter to melt the edges where she cut so that they would melt a little and not be sharp. It might be a little unsightly, but you could probably tuck a table cloth around it if you wanted. Mom uses a 45 gallon container which holds about 90 lbs of litter and a 25 gallon container which holds about 60lbs of litter.
  • Charity JonesCharity Jones Valencia, San Fernando Valley,Member Posts: 423
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I think mom & dad may end up doing the storage container thing for us. A few of us are just getting too dang big to fit comfortably in our boxes. I appreciate the help!
  • Chezley MantylaChezley Mantyla Member Posts: 22
    I had one of those XL at Boxes that have a door from the pet store and it worked in the begining but after I got sick and had my surgery I'd rather pee outside of the box then in it. My mom got an idea from the pet store by making her own litter box. Its a rubbermaid container that has a flap lid on the top. She took the flap part off (so the lid is still on but open) and I have to climb inside the box to use it. It seems to work great cause in order to use it i have to get inside of it. Also since I'm quite a bit overweight it will make me be a little active to get into and out of it.
  • Julie BennettJulie Bennett TorontoMember Posts: 280
    My Mommy has seen extra large litter boxes at the Pet Store (Pet Valu in Canada). They are meant for small dogs but I'm sure they would do for a plus sized kitty. Maybe search on the internet for dog litter boxes, good luck!
  • Karyn LehmannKaryn Lehmann redlandsMember Posts: 247
    My mom found a box called Clever Cat. it is a large rubbermaid like container that is top entry but it is big!
  • Phyllis JohnsonPhyllis Johnson BeaumontMember Posts: 3,147
    Our mom uses an underbed storage box (minus the lid!) for me. Spark will fit in and use anything. I on the other hand like and need something I don't feel cramped in. I think it's labeled 41 qts. Find one with the fewest grooves, lumps and bumps for easiest cleaning.
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    Petmate has a new litter box that justcame out, that holds 30 pounds of scoopable litter. It's like a regular box but BIG and super thick and has a pocket for the scoop on the side. I don't know the price because it's so new so mommy will have to check the distributor. Sounds like fun! Little Red
  • Julie BennettJulie Bennett TorontoMember Posts: 280
    That Petmate box was the one my Mommy saw at the store as she was at the store on the weekend and had another peek at it (with the side bins for scoops etc). Sorry she didn\'t look at the price.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    I use a Rubbermaid container (10 gallon) and it works great for me!
  • Alice RamseyAlice Ramsey Piney Flats/Johnson CityMember Posts: 1,241
    We saw the petmate box at our local Natural Pet Suppy store. The price on it here is $24.99. It is huge. Mom is thinking of getting it for me.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    We have a Rubbermaid container and also, a bathtub for infants. The bathtub is high on each end and low in the middle -- great for cats who can't jump in and out.