should I choose a 1 yr old or a kitten?

Lynda Van EttenLynda Van Etten Menands, NYMember Posts: 707
edited 8 September, 2012 in Choosing the Right Cat
Daniel's mama here again: I'm going to the shelter to adopt a cat, and I'm looking for (preferably) a black or tortie girl kitty aged 1 year or below. I have a cat in mind that I saw on our shelter's page who is still available and gets along with other kitties but now I'm wondering, should I instead adopt a kitten? I'm concerned about my dominant male Daniel hurting the new one. (I have 2 male cats, but Solomon is laid back and loves to be around other kitties. Daniel is more bossy.) I really don't mind adopting a 1 year old and want to give her a chance at a "furefur" home! I had 3 cats prior to this, but just lost my 3rd a month ago. So I'm not a stranger to having 3 cats and I know what to expect.

Comments

• Christie BrownChristie Brown Member Posts: 231
    edited 30 August, 2012
    There are so many dynamics involved in how well Daniel would accept the new cat or kitten. If you feel a connection with the one yr old and she has a reputation of getting along with other cats, I'd go for it. (I'd just make sure she doesn't get along with them by totally dominating them....might not be a good mixture with Daniel.) We just decided to foster (and hopefully adopt) a 6 yr old female cat. It is amazing how non-threatening she is to the other cats. She just wants to be friends. Kittens have a reputation for being a non-threatening choice but in our case an adult is probably just as good. Of course the big advice you will read is go slow with the introductions, whatever the age of the newbie. Good luck with the decision.
  • Lynda Van EttenLynda Van Etten Menands, NYMember Posts: 707
    edited 30 August, 2012
    I definitely have a cat in mind. I checked out her bio and she sounds perfect for me....loves to be held, very chatty, and easy going. I really feel like she's my cat, but it's up to the Lord (I'm a Christian).
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 September, 2012
    Kittens are less threatening to other cats. I have a nine year old who hasn't had a good relationhip with the other cat I had because she had health problems. He wanted to groom her and she would not allow it. Kittens allow everything. Juliette loves Alex's grooming every day and plays with him. He is acting like a kitten himself. He watches over her. Because of her size, he doesn't feel threatened. She is growing up but she is now his playmate. I had a one year old from a rescue who was a sweetie with us but she was nervous about other cats because of her experience when she was a stray. I loved her dearly too and miss her as she passed at 17 last December.......You will find your kitten....soon..I did..
    edited 1 September, 2012
    I'm 2 years old and I'm the one she chose....do you like me? :)
    edited 2 September, 2012
    Serena was returned to the shelter because she was very sick. Fever, sneezing, drooling, runny stools, etc. :( Goodbye Serena :(
  • Natasha PhilpNatasha Philp CeresMember Posts: 189
    edited 5 September, 2012
    OHH No whats wrong with Serena?!! what happened to her at the shelter???xxx
    edited 8 September, 2012
    she had a viral infection and a secondary infection. She's being treated by the shelter veterinarians. because she was sick, she gave me and Solomon her illness.