Company Coming w/ allergies

Karlee UrbanoskiKarlee Urbanoski CalgaryMember Posts: 85
edited 17 November, 2005 in Cats & Travel
Hey there, we're having company come during Christmas time and New years, for some reason a lot of my relatives are allergic to cats.....We're just moving to a new house on monday and I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to keep allergens down in the house.....I think I'm going to try a HEPA filter....any other suggestions???

Comments

• Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, I guess vacuuming a lot will help, too. Why not keep the guest rooms off limit for kitties, too? Good luck!
  • Jennifer McMillionJennifer McMillion BeckleyMember Posts: 230
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Febreze makes an allergen reducing spray that keeps my moms dust allergies down. You might want to try that. Bissel also makes allergen reducing carpet shampoo.
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Grannie is allergic to me. When grannie comes to visit, mommy will vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, dust, dust, dust. And like it was suggested, have a kitty free room. We haven't tried the Febreeze but it can't hurt and it will smell good too.
  • Karlee UrbanoskiKarlee Urbanoski CalgaryMember Posts: 85
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks very much guys! I'm going to get Mum to Vaccum like a crazy women from the day we move in. That should do the trick since the house we're moving into hasn't ever had any pets in it.......Also, she's going to keep us out of the spare bedroom and she also was thinking of putting cheese cloth on the vent in the bedroom to stop the dander from going in there! I sure hope the guests aren't getting any itchy eyes!
  • Veronica MorrisVeronica Morris El Cerrito/SF Bay areaMember Posts: 14,677
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My humans are allergic to cats, dogs and guinea pigs... yet they have all three! Their solution is to vacuum once a week all the carpets/rugs and every so often they vacuum the furniature, too. Sweep once a week (you'd be amazed at all the cat hair that accumulates in a week!). We get baths about every 3-4 months or so as well. That really helps cut down on the allergies. We also tell people to bring benadryl if they have allergies, as this will usually cure anything that all the cleaning doesn't get. Good luck!
  • Giniene RaymondGiniene Raymond FultonvilleMember Posts: 673
    edited 27 February, 2006
    drsfostersmith.com sells wipes like baby wipes that reduce the dander on us and it really helps my human brother when he comes to visit.
  • Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When allergic humans come over mom vacuums, dusts and airs out the house a lot. She also brushes our fur outside. Be sure to tell people that kitties are there, that way they can take some allergy medicine beforehand if they want. Mom has one friend that takes Allegra and has no problems at all.
  • Amy PerkinsAmy Perkins SaginawMember Posts: 171
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom likes to keep the Alavert Redi-tabs on hand. They start working really fast, and are the same medicine as Claratin. They do a lot of vacuuming around here, too, and change out the air filters, wash the furniture cushion covers, spray Frebreeze allergen reducer, sweep, mop.....they keep busy for a while!
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    there is a special shampoo for people with cat allergies, i belive it's called Aller-C. you bathe your cat with it and it's supposed to cut down on the dander/allergens. i also reccomend the excess cleaning and maybe resircting the cats to certain areas when the allergic people are over, that way they don't get fresh cat hair/dander in their faces!
  • Karlee UrbanoskiKarlee Urbanoski CalgaryMember Posts: 85
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks again for all the good advice! We just moved in yesterday and the cats are starting to settle in nicely! I went out and bought a $120 filter for the furnace. It's supposed to get particles that are 0.007...which is really good compared to the other stuff.......hope it helps! Also, I noticed we have an air exchange thingy that my mom said would help bring in fresh air. I'm also going to buy a couple HEPA air filters from the drug store for the living room and upstairs! thanks very much!