Pill taking time

Kirk IrthumKirk Irthum BrooklynMember Posts: 31
HSSSS TTT !! OK, so taking pills is no fun but I wonder how your humans trick you into taking what is good for you ? My dad waits for breakfast so I am very hungry and knows where I start to eat first in my dish so he puts it there just under a piece of canned food. I fall for it all the time.

Comments

• Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I hate pills too and so does my older brother. To get us to take them Dad grinds them up with a pill grinder (you can use a mortar and pestle, but clean it thoroughly) and mixes it in wet food. He tried just putting the pill in the food, but we would just eat around them and leave the pill in the bowl. When one of us is ever on meds we get fed in separate places so we don't eat each other's food. He also serves it in a quantity small enough that we'll eat it in one sitting.
  • Adrienne LashleyAdrienne Lashley AlbanyMember Posts: 4
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom wraps me in a towel and calls me Cat Burrito. This doesn't help her case because I'm already mad. But I always end up swallowing that pill anyway.
  • Amy BurchfieldAmy Burchfield Shaker HeightsMember Posts: 145
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hmmmm. My humans have tried a couple things. They've put it in my food, and then played the "I'm going to eat your food game"--moving my dish, then I take a big bite and eat the pill. They also take the pill apart (the plastic part) and put the powder on the food. Not too bad. And since I like to lick the spoon, they put it in with a piece of food on a spoon and I fell for that a couple times, then I got wise. My least favorite approach is the finger down the throat way; but hey, it works.
  • Dioselin GDioselin G San MateoMember Posts: 16
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My human tried putting the pill inside a sausage, then grinding it, but couldn't fool me. I would just take it out of my food plate and leave it there. Then she held me in a way that my neck was extended up and gave me the pill; after that she rubbed my throat to make sure it wasn't stuck there. I was so mad I gave her the silence treatment; I would go to the other room and hide in the closet, I mean where's the trust?
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasMember Posts: 869
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Never had to have pills to much but mom opened my mouth & shoved it down, then blew in my face and opened my mouth again to check. I put up a fight. I wiggle wiggle, wiggle.
  • Mary HillMary Hill DurantMember Posts: 856
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our MiMi uses a variety of tricks to get me and Gypsy to take what's good for us. Sometimes she hides the pills in our food, but we just gobble up our food and push the pills off to one side. There are times when she wraps us up in a towel and uses a squirtation device(syringe or dropper) to force liquids, including dissolved pills, down our little gullie-wullies. What works best for me is when she gives me the straight scoop by talking gently to me, holding me in her arms and she just sort of slides the healing wonder down my throat. I love it when she praises me for not fussing or struggling. Please remember it takes time and patience to learn we are not swallowing swords. Best Regards, Sonny
  • Charlene DitnerCharlene Ditner FormosaMember Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I hated taking those things and I would never eat them no matter how mom hid them in my food. She did something sneaky then. She'd wait until I was asleep and quickly roll me onto my back and using a pill popper, open my mouth and pop it in. Most times I was so tired I didn't even feel what happened, other than I had to swallow. That worked for me!
  • Bonnie ComarBonnie Comar AuroraMember Posts: 30
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom tried everything! I mean EVERYTHING as in all that you have mentioned. Even when she was successful and got me to swallow it, I went down stairs where I go to give up the hairball, and whoosh! up it came. >^..^< She finally had to give up.
  • Steph MSteph M Member Posts: 4
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My grandpa uses the morning food method too... i'm too hungry to care, but if he forgets or my mom has to do it... its HORRIBLE, i can't play any games with her!! She holds me down between her knees and sorta sits on me (she doesn't squish me, but i can't move a paw!!) and then he just opens my mouth and shoves it in as fast and as far back as she can! The food method is so much nicer, but i'll admit its over alot faster her way (only if food doesn't work).
  • Jamie TravaleJamie Travale WesternMember Posts: 13
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey Lexus, you sound like my kind of cat! For the rest of you, here's what I do. First, run like mad...jump over stuff, hide under things...whatever it takes. If caught, let your human get the pill in your mouth, rub your throat, etc. NOW, wait at least 30 seconds and then as you walk away, lower your head and spit out the pill! It's great! I think my mom has finally gotten the hint! IF, they try the ole' hide the pill in a piece of food or treat, as mentioned before, it's very easy to eat around it. Liquid medicine is more difficult to avoid if caught. In this situation I say, "If ya got claws, use 'em!"
  • Takami FugikawaTakami Fugikawa StreetsboroMember Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I refuse to sit still for this kind of abuse! Mom has tried the 'pin me down, pry my jaw open' but I refuse! Not only that, I HATE wet cat food, I HATE wet dog food, I refuse to eat such vile smelling junk! I also dislike seafood terribly and mom has a hard time finding cat food that has NO seafood. I'd rather eat the dog food than anything fishy or stinky. Mom finally found something to trick me into eating a pill. She'd smash it up with a spoon and mix it with a little bit of Gerbers 2nd stage turkey&gravy. That human baby food is so much better than the kitty cereal and those stinky cans of cat food.