Biting

Jennifer KriderJennifer Krider San DiegoMember Posts: 3
edited 16 June, 2005 in Behavior & Training
I know I'm just a baby but I always seem to bite my human mommy and she doesn't like it at all. I'm just trying to play with her but I hurt her while I'm doing it. She's tried disciplining me to get me to stop but I just can't. She's tried a light spanking with a firm "No" followed by a time-out in the bathroom for about 2 minutes but I still do it. Can anyone help me stop hurting my mom? She gave me a stuffed animal to bite instead and other toys but its just not the same. Any suggestions?

Comments

• MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Abby, you cute girl-- first it's computer cords, now it's your Mommy?? Hmmm. Two thoughts: your "complexion" says you are a real action kitty, so you may have extra kitty exuberance and will grow out of biting and chewing. Or, *for Abby's mom -- it might be better with a kitty pal.*
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Abby! Biting the cat mother is not a good thing. Jacques didn't admit it, but he was a "biter." *aside to Abby's cat mother: Jacques' breeder said she played with him with wiggly fingers, and spoiled him; so, first, no wiggle fingers play. Our cat mother would use the Big No like you. And sometimes she would have to use a one-finger tiny clip on the nose. Basically, he grew out of it. I had an older brother who is now in Kitty Heaven, and he attacked the cat mother all the time, until she got me as a toy for him. Peace on earth. Our cat mother doesn't believe in hitting or yelling, but sometimes...* good luck! prrrs!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh. We forgot... Check under the "Health" topic. There is a big thing there on biting...
  • Jennifer KriderJennifer Krider San DiegoMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My kitty dad is allergic to cats so getting a friend for me wouldn't work. He's OK when he's around 1 but a lot of them makes his nose act all funny. My mom thinks I'll grow out of it... She's really hoping I do. And so do I. I don't like hurting her, but she doesn't realize what a great toy she is!
  • Wendy WardWendy Ward TorontoMember Posts: 84
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Ah yes, I remember it like yesterday. I was a "biter" when I was little (age 3 months). You don't say how old you are Abby but your human mom has to take over where your cat mom left off, i.e. training you how to be sociable and when to learn when enough is enough when it comes to play! My human mom first "armed herself" with a squirt bottle and every time I chomped on her hands or started to play rough, she gave me a squirt and walked away. NEVER spank, HIT or PADDLE your kitty. Time outs will not be understood by a cat. If Abby bites and won't let go of your hand resist the temptation to jerk your hand back quickly - this will excite her to bite you more. Say "NO" loudly and use your squirt bottle. Don't engage in rough play - Abby will probably calm down, but remember she is still a kitten. She will learn her manners with a consistent approach (and a squirt bottle for bad behavior!)
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh thank you, Seamus, for corrections about the spray bottle -- we tend to forget. You see the cat mother didn't use a spray bottle because we love water so much it was a Big Game! (I think it's an Oriental cat thing about water...) Her crying did help, however, even if it was fake. Sorry if we sent conflicting messages.