Choosing 2 kittens

GordyWhittakerGordyWhittaker ReadingMember Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited 28 January, 2013 in Choosing the Right Cat
We\'ve had single cats since we were married 37 years ago. Our fourth cat Max is 14 years old, and has had some health problems. He\'s a great cat, but he is getting up there. Because of this, we have been talking about getting two kittens when the time comes. What is the best mix? 1. One male and one female? 2. Siblings? Many thanks!!

Comments

• Mary WaltersMary Walters Milton KeynesMember Posts: 6,959
    edited 28 March, 2011
    Why wait?? I would get them now, as long as they are baby kittens it dosen't matter if they are not siblings, but I would get same sex personally. I have 3 toms and 2 queens aged from 16 years to 8 months. But please, please, do get a rescue when you do, there are so many in all countries that need forever homes.
  • edited 28 March, 2011
    my two cats were adopted from shelter as kittens. they are both girls. please adopt from a shelter or rescuse group. those kitties need homes. u could get a male and female kitties or the same sex its up to u.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 28 March, 2011
    I have two sets of siblings, both pairs are male and female. Just my two cents, either adopt siblings or young kittens who will bond. They keep each other entertained, and much less stress on your older cat. Agree, please look into adopting a shelter cat, and the shelter can tell you what kittens got along together....you may find a pair who were just in a cage together and bonded. Good luck, and we look forward to welcoming your new furry family members to CATSTER. The New Orleans Kitties
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 28 March, 2011
    I was told 1 male and 1 female is the best choice. Its the perfect balance.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 28 March, 2011
    We agree with Kisu. Mommy and Daddy had a single cat before us. When she passed at age 18 they were looking to get 2 kitties. They adopted us! We are a sister and brother, natural siblings. We are best friends. We have so much fun together. A good place to look is petfinder.com where you can put in your zip code and different kitties available from different rescues or foster homes will come up. My pawrents highly recommend adopting 2 or 3 kitties together - either siblings or best friends. Our human brother had adopted 3 cats that were natural siblings and they also get along so well and have so much fun. Love, Zack & Zoey
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 29 March, 2011
    There hasn't been a kitten with mommy and daddy...but mommy used to work in an adoption center for animals. She said that it truly doesn't matter, and if they are brother and sister, or brother and brother, or sister and sister, all is well. Mommy also says that there are plenty of young adult bonded siblings out there...2 1 year old sisters up for adoptin right now from someone in her accupuncturist office....so please don't rule that out. Because everyone wants the babies.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 29 March, 2011
    Me and my brofur and siblings .. not from the same mom, but from the same dad, we are two weeks apart. Many cats have an adjustment period when they are not brought up together in the same household and can learn to be loving to one another.. so even tho siblings is easier.. it can work the other way also (it just takes a little more patience and time)we took the easy way out. :-h Hi Zack
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 29 March, 2011
    :-h Hi Kisu!! Callie you are so right, you can find bonded kitties that are a little older too that either are siblings or became best friends at the rescue/foster home. There are some places where they will actually say that they want both cats to go together because they are so close. Neat to give best friends a new furever home together! Really tiny kitties grow so fast that getting a cat that is 1 or 2 is a great idea. My parents had been looking at that age too when they were looking for us. Sometimes it was even hard to find kitties as they are adopted so quickly. Any 2 kittes that are picked will be very lucky.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 29 March, 2011
    I'd even look at two adults who have been together forever, but the owner has turned them in. That seems to happen a lot and it's near impossible to get 2 over 5 year old cats adopted together, even though they have at least 10 years left to live if they are treaated right:( If they are older, if you can, get a bonded pair, can be same sexes or opposite. With cats under a year old, Meowma says the sex doesn't really matter. She was really worried about bringing kitties here with my old self, but I was ok with the Rory, even though he pestered me to death. So when she got Pandora, she was afraid I'd hate her because she's a girl. But we are all 3 getting along great! Meowma hopes the younguns might pick up some on how much I love my Meowma, before I...you know.
  • edited 29 March, 2011
    they dont have to be from the same litter either. nellie and alexis arent from the same litter and also they were in different cages. they bonded the first day they met. there was no hissing, fighting. they get along just fine.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 30 March, 2011
    If you can go to a shelter that has a "kitten room" you can see how the kittens interact before you adopt them to make sure they will get along. I have two that were unrelated but around the same age, Church and Roxy. Roxy was planned and we got her from a breeder (Maine Coon) and Church was a "surprise" as I was gardening one day and he was a feral kitten who wandered into my yard! That was about a month before we were supposed to bring Roxy home. When Roxy came home it took them a little while to get used to each other, and I think Church may have been a singleton so he sometimes played too rough (did not know when he was biting too hard in play.) However they did get along well eventually and they grew up together. I also have 4 cats who were from the same litter, 3 males and 1 female and they all get along great. When they were younger they used to sleep together in a big pile. They're over 2 now and don't do that any longer.
  • Bubbles McSnubsBubbles McSnubs New OrleansMember Posts: 177
    edited 19 April, 2011
    Get a shelter cat! 4 million pets are euthanized each year. They are just as great and loving as any purebred and tend to have less problems since they are from a larger gene pool. If you really MUST purchase kittens from a breeder, I have a Sokoke mix, and she\'s lovely. However these are very rare cats. Bengals are my favorite, as well as Egyptian Maus, Somalis, Savannahs, Cheetohs... who am I kidding, I love all cats :)
  • Mary WaltersMary Walters Milton KeynesMember Posts: 6,959
    edited 20 April, 2011
    Hear hear Bubbles, shelter cats need us =D>=D>=D>=D>=D>
  • Lily DeLaurieLily DeLaurie Member Posts: 184
    edited 20 April, 2011
    I would get siblings! I have a brother and a sister and I love it! They are very close, ONLY play fight... I've never seen a real fight expect for when one comes back from the vet... then they want to murder each other.. LOL
  • GordyWhittakerGordyWhittaker ReadingMember Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited 28 January, 2013
    :(( Well... Good ol'e Max was feeling great this past Christmas. All of a sudden, two days later, he went downhill fast. On Saturday the 29th of December, I took him to the Massachusetts Veterinary Referral Hospital in Woburn, MA, as our regular vet was closed. Max had become so bad so quickly that he stopped eating and drinking water, and couldn't walk or stand. He just stared into some distant void and didn't even purr. After some tests, the vet caring for Max has some sad news. Max apparantly had a benign form of feline lukemia (even though he was up on his shots), and it suddenly surfaced with a vengance! Poor Max... since he was almost 16, and his condition so bad, we had no option but to put him to sleep. He passed on my lap, while I cried like a baby!!! I have to say that the Vets and support people at the Massachusetts Veterinary Referral Hospital were incredibly professional, caring and supportive. Ohhhh Maxy Max! We miss you dearly! :((
  • Universal WhispererUniversal Whisperer Member Posts: 595 ✭✭
    edited 28 January, 2013
    Two cats are much easier to deal with than only one, particularly if they are already together when you adopt them. Its true that shelters have a difficult time adopting pairs of adult cats together but when you adopt a pair of adult cats from a shelter that already have been together and are already bonded, then you have the advantage of not having to go through the bonding process. Quite often older cats in a shelter are already spayed or neutered too. Older cats in general have a difficult time getting adopted. Black cats usually have more difficulty getting adopted than other colors. As for sexes, it really doesn't matter as long as they're spayed or neutered before they are sexually mature. With any new cat or cats you get, especially with an adult, please be patient. I see so many situations where a cat has been returned to a shelter after a time period of only one day to two weeks in a new home, with the reason for return being because the cat hadn't adjusted. Then the cat has this info on its record and the cat is even harder to find an adoptive home for. Allow at least two months for a friendly social adult cat to adjust to a new home. Many cats adjust quicker than that but one needs to be willing to give a cat plenty of time to adjust. Kittens usually do adjust in a matter of days. Two cats or kittens are great company for each other. Two cats or kittens can and will happily play much more roughly with each other than they ever could play with a human. Cats like to scratch on the rough surface of a sisal wrapped cat tree and a sisal wrapped cat tree will provide a long lasting place to climb, scratch and play that cats usually prefer to use instead of furniture. Fate has chosen most of my cats for me.