Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Growling Kitten

Megan AmorimMegan Amorim Member Posts: 1
edited 14 February, 2013 in Kitten Corner
Last night my father rescued a kitten (about 6 months). She is skin and bones and the cutest thing. Unfortunately my 10 year old cat, Oscar is not very happy about the new house guest, but thats not the problem. The new kitten is growling at Oscar all the time! Oscar doesn't seem to pay any attention to the new guest, he's just a little annoyed. I don't want him to feel left out because of the new kitten and I also don't want to resort to finding a new home for our new friend if she doesn't stop. Has anyone heard of this happening?

Comments

• Arna CohenArna Cohen Member Posts: 565
    edited 14 February, 2013
    Your kitten is displaying very common behavior. Cats can be very territorially and generally don't like strange cats. It can take anywhere from a couple of days to several months and even longer for cats to adjust to one another. It's best to keep your kitties separated at least until you can get the youngster seen by a vet to make sure she doesn't have anything contagious. Then do gradual introductions. There's a lot of good information in the cat pages of about.com on how to introduce cats. You're lucky that Oscar is not being aggressive, but be alert - very often cats express their stress and displeasure by going outside the litter box. Best to have separate litter boxes for them in different parts of the house.