Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Help! I hit my cat and now she doesn't respond to my calls!):

Zaen AltinaweZaen Altinawe Member Posts: 6
edited 9 March, 2013 in Behavior & Training
Any help is greatly appreciated! I was just playing with my new kitten and she decided to ignore me and ignore me and ignore my calls, now I was already angry at something else and my kitten just had to ruin my mood even more! So I was stupid enough and I still regret it a lot I wish I could take what I did back): Once she ignored me for the third time I took my anger out at her not hitting her but I picked her up and threw her now to be honest it was a small throw and she didn't hit anything dangerous I actually threw her on a pillow but I still should of never done that. Before if I just snapped once shed come rushing to me, and I mean it every snap shed never ignore me shed come up and jump onto my lap and start to purr she was crazy with me. Now don't get me wrong she's not scared of me she will still come play with me sleep on me and purr and everything but she never responds to my calls anymore, and that makes me very sad. I know what I did was terrible but that was the only time I had ever done something like that to her and I won't ever think about doing it again. If you guys know any ways I could get her to respond to my calls that would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Zaen AltinaweZaen Altinawe Member Posts: 6
    edited 24 February, 2013
    Oh and one more thing I'm doing everything I can so she responds to my calls again! I let her sleep on me and don't stop petting her at all! She purrs nonstop eats and everything still plays with me licks me, its just the calls!
  • Jenna DradyJenna Drady ottawaMember Posts: 1,141
    edited 24 February, 2013
    Seriously???????? I wouldn't want to come to your calls either if you were just gunna get mad enough to throw me!!!!!!!! If you get that angry at a little kitten just because she doesn't come when you call, maybe YOU should seriously consider that you have anger issues. Just because you had a bad day, dont take it out on your kitten, it's not her fault!!! And although you say you know it was wrong, does not make it right. I dont even understand what help you think you are gunna get from people to help your kitten come when called.....simply read your post and take a look at your anger issues and maybe you will see why she doesn't come to you.
    edited 24 February, 2013
    Your right but don't think of it as like I'm throwing a base ball think of it as moving something out of the way either way I know it was wrong, but I read a lot about what other people have said giving their cats thuds for bad behavior and stuff like that that's pretty much what I did but a little toss. She landed safely on the pillow and than went to eat. Anger issues? For giving a cat a little toss that can barely harm her? If you read up there you saw that was the only time I've ever done something that could possibly hurt her. Now if I had anger issues I'd be repeatedly taking my anger out on the kitten but no it was just a one time thing and its never gonna happen again. If she was truly angered at me than she would not want to sleep on my lap or such and stay if I pet her. I feed her take care of her play with her and she gives me the thank you by staying close by my side or giving me a lick. I know what your trying to say your right its a defensive kitten and I was completely stupid enough to do that.
  • Lee Ann KoffinasLee Ann Koffinas OrlandoMember Posts: 346
    edited 25 February, 2013
    Hopefully you never do that again. Cats are cats, and as any cat person knows, cats have their own rules and most cats do not come to you when they are called. That's just being a cat. They are not dogs. You can't take it personally when your cat doesn't come to you. That said, throwing her in anger, even if you didn't hurt her, probably did scare her and it's going to take quite a while before you ever earn her trust back. You will have to be patient and let her come to you. And if you continue to show her anger, then forget ever having that trust back. My mother in law once smacked my cat, hard, on the head, because she bit her. It was not a hard bite, it was a "leave me alone I don't want to be petted right now" little nibble, but she thwacked her on the head so hard, she ran, I was LIVID, and told her you NEVER smack a cat! That is not how they learn. That has been two years and this particular cat ignores her when she comes over, she has never forgotten that smack. I think your kitty will get over what you did, if that is all you did and you don't repeat that behavior. But if you do have anger issues, even if it is not directed at her, but you are angry around her, she may have trouble trusting you, so I sincerely hope you get a handle on that if that is an issue. Give her patience, let her come to you on her own terms and over time, if you continue to show her patience and love, you will earn her trust back, but right now, you can't push it. Just give her some time.
  • Chelsea TartariniChelsea Tartarini Thornton DenverMember Posts: 44
    edited 25 February, 2013
    I don't even know how to respond to this.... If you're comfortable with it, perhaps you should seek out someone to talk to about anger.... and an animal behaviorist to teach you how to properly handle your kitten....
    edited 25 February, 2013
    Beep that was great thank you! I swear that's the only time I ever did something like that to her and it will never happen again I assure you. The guilts been on me forever but now she's coming to me without me even looking at her ill do whatever it takes for that trust and I will have the patience. I love my kitten a lot and I always will thanks for a positive answer and sorry about your mom hitting your cat. I'm never gonna think about hurting or doing anything that could possibly hurt my kitten again. Thanks for your help!
  • Kahla HowardKahla Howard Phoenix, AZMember Posts: 10
    edited 25 February, 2013
    Your cat could just be independent. Dogs may always try to please people but cats do things when they want to. lol My cat Jak-ke will almost always ignore me, she used to run to me all the time as a kitten but now that she is older (2yrs) she is confident enough to find comfort in herself and the other cats. I think it just makes it more special when she does come running up to me for a cuddle. She could also be a little afriad or mad at you for throwing her. All you can do is talk sweet to her and maybe find a favorite treat to win her back. Cats take awhile to forgive.
    edited 25 February, 2013
    I did just that she comes to me every time I pet an area near me like where I want her to sit and she'll come running to it. Thanks for your help!
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 26 February, 2013
    HELLO? Did you ever get the memo? Dogs come when they are called, cats take a message and get back to you. REMEMBER THAT. Can I ask how old you are? What you did is unacceptable behavior and hopefully you will never do this again. God will punish you. Now go sit in the corner and dont come out till you learned your lesson. Maybe someday if you dont respond to someone calling you if they get mad enough they will pick YOU up and bodyslam you, lets see how you like it. AND if I were you, i wouldnt post anything like this on catster again. We do not like humans who mistreat their animals - you will be tarred and feathered on here, and possibly booted off. So buh byes.
  • Janet WestJanet West StroudMember Posts: 2,239
    edited 26 February, 2013
    Oh No...Kisu....what the girl with the kitten did was wrong...yes....but she has said she was sorry and has learned from her own behaviour....what more can she do? I did the same thing with my first cat, when she was a kitten, I threw her....I only did it the once because, as soon as I had done it, I was SO HORRIFIED at myself. She forgave me and we had a wonderful life together until she was nearly 19 years old... It shouldn't happen....but one can learn....
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 26 February, 2013
    :)) Its probably some prankster anyway.. I have no soft spot for that type of behavior. If they were a catster member they would show their face, not just come on to write a title like that. Never believe half the stuff thats on here if they are not a member with a picture.
  • Michelle BrundrettMichelle Brundrett Grand PrairieMember Posts: 405
    edited 27 February, 2013
    I am going to agree with Beep on this one. I have anger issues myself and have to deal with that, but allowing yourself to become agitated or angry because your pet ignores you is not okay. I hope it doesn't happen again - that you have learned your lesson. And no where in the post did it say anything about being body slammed...
  • Janet WestJanet West StroudMember Posts: 2,239
    edited 27 February, 2013
    Miss Kisu.....I didn't realise it was you - I didn't recognise you from the picture...!! If I had, I would have written here myself (instead of getting Tambolina to do it)....yes, it is I, your erstwhile lover, Cuchulain Cavmere....!! Ahh, so many memories.....!! And no, my Meouwmy has never done anything horrid to me - not even when I box her ears...wallop...wallop....when she tries to pick me up...!! (^^
  • Amber SooseyAmber Soosey Member Posts: 68
    edited 8 March, 2013
    I smacked my cat once. Then I felt so bad when she wouldn't even come near me for a few minutes. She had taken my brand new headphones and chewed the cord on them. I was very angry with her. Then, after I had hit her, I decided to look and find out just what hitting a cat would do to them. After learning all about that, I have not even gotten angry with her since. Not even when she chewed up my other, new, pair of headphones. I just laughed and twirled the cord around a little so she could play some more. I'll be honest and say that, even though I don't get mad at her, she still gets mad at me. The most recent time, and the angriest I've ever seen her, was once again my fault. On my defence, what I did was pure reaction and nothing else... Here's what happened: I was in the bathroom and Pocket was in there with me. I got down on the floor to pet her. As soon as I touched her, she jerked around and sunk her teeth and claws deep into my hand. I responded my jerking my hand away and then pushing her away from me. She was pushed hard into the edge of the counter. I was horrified with myself. Pocket got up and jumped into the bathtub, where the shower curtain would help sheild her. I got up to see if she was alright but the second I touched the curtain she flew at it. I will admit that she scared me a little. I quickly left the bathroom and made up with her later by giving her a little cat-nip. She's forgotten about that incident now. She's been so nice lately. I took her outside today. It's well above freezing her in my area of Michigan today so I figured why not. We didn't stay out for long but she seemed alright. :)
  • Leeann BooneLeeann Boone HartfordMember Posts: 2,212
    edited 9 March, 2013
    I admit that I give Belle a tap under the mouth when she starts play biting me to make her stop or if I'm holding her to clean her ears or something but that's the closest I hope to ever come to actually hitting my cat! I caught my friend about to hit her when she was a kitten and just being curious about what my friend was doing. YOU DO NOT HIT MY CAT!!! If someone picked me up and threw me I wouldn't come to them either!