Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Cat feeding confusion problem

Katerina SmirnovaKaterina Smirnova Member Posts: 10
edited 18 May, 2013 in Food & Nutrition
Hello everyone =] i am posting about a concern i have about tommy. My fiancees father has always fed tommy, his father also has a second cat and he feeds them both in one dish because before tommy always ate the other cats food. So the dilemma is that his father told us that tommy takes one bite from the canned food and leaves it and he just eats dry food the rest of the time and i've seen tommy eating kibbles while there's food still in the dish, his father calls him spoiled because he doesn't eat leftovers. I told my hubby that tommy is our cat we should have been feeding him ourselves! his dad just feeds the cats and that's it he doesn't know much about cats. So i'm worried tommy won't be willing to eat canned food (i'm planning to switch him over to wellness by mixing old food and new) I was thinking perhaps adding a few kibbles or maybe a couple treats in the food and then slowly remove them until he eats canned food normally.

Comments

• Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 17 May, 2013
    Hi there. The link below (sorry that I don't know how to make it a clickable link) has a lot of good information on switching cats from kibble to canned. http://www.catinfo.org/docs/TipsForTransitioning1-14-11.pdf Good luck!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 17 May, 2013
    Here's the clicky link :) http://catinfo.org/docs/TipsForTransitioning1-14-11.pdf The rest of Catinfo.org has more info about proper diet and why dry foods are not good for any cat.
  • Lee Ann KoffinasLee Ann Koffinas OrlandoMember Posts: 346
    edited 18 May, 2013
    It will actually be pretty simple for you, with this cat, since we know that he will take a few bites of the canned food. That means you know he will eat it. BUT, if he has access to dry food 24/7, he is going to pick dry over the canned. It's like a kid having McDonalds in front of him and broiled chicken and broccoli in front of him. Of course, he is going to pick the McDonalds. So you need to get rid of the dry. Maybe just give the cat a small amount of dry at first, so he does not go hungry, but that's it. No 24/7 all you can eat kibble, or he will never eat the canned food.
  • Katerina SmirnovaKaterina Smirnova Member Posts: 10
    edited 18 May, 2013
    Hello guys I took your advice and today I fed Tommy myself and I'm trying to switch him to wellness as well. I warmed it up for thirty seconds and there in a couple of his favorite treats. and I gave half a can of old food and then I split the new food into four halves and added a small square from the new. Tommy ate it up! It was a lot of food so he left a quarter of it. I was nervous he would be finicky but no he loved it! Tommy doesn't like my hunts father, always runs away from him. I guess we're better off feeding him ourselves. P.m. my phone is acting up sorry for posting twice
  • Katerina SmirnovaKaterina Smirnova Member Posts: 10
    edited 18 May, 2013
    Hello guys I took your advice and today I fed Tommy myself and I'm trying to switch him to wellness as elk. I warmed it up for thirty seconds and there in a couple of his favorfoodite treats. Iand gave half a can if old food and then I split the new food into four halves and added a small square from the new. Tommy ate it up! It was a lot of food so he left a quarter of it. I was nervous he would be finicky but no he loved it! Tommy doesn't like my hunts father, always runs away from him. I guess we're r off feeding him