Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

New Kitten! What to feed???

Emily CarringtonEmily Carrington Member Posts: 425
edited 28 May, 2013 in Food & Nutrition
Hi! I have a new kitten - my first kitten... just brought him home last night... I bought 5 cans of WELLNESS CORE KITTEN (wet food)... I used to feed WELLNESS to my adult cat.. and was THRILLED to see a kitten CORE variety... Is this food OK?? Should I be feeding something else?

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 24 May, 2013
    Wellness CORE, and the regular cans too, are fine for a kitten =; Really, any canned food is great for a kitten :) You don't need to feed a kitten formula but you can if you want. After all, in the wild (and the streets and farmland, etc for feral cats) there is no kitten formula food for kittens eating solid food. Here is a great web site to learn about proper nutrition for all cats: http://www.catinfo.org It goes into detail about why dry food should never be fed. Many Catster members feel strongly against feeding any dry food except for maybe in certain situations and only then as a temporary diet. Raw food is also good for all cats and many kittens take to it right away since they haven't yet made any preference for a particular kind of food. That might be something to look into if you are interested :) Catinfo.org has some info about feeding raw.
  • Emily CarringtonEmily Carrington Member Posts: 425
    edited 24 May, 2013
    My only issue is that it didn't look like a lot of protein???? And I know little kittens require more protein (according to some sites?) Here's the analysis: Guaranteed Analysis Crude Protein min. 12.0% Crude Fat min. 7.50% Crude Fiber max. 0.5% Moisture max. 78.0% Ash max. 2.50% Magnesium max. 0.028% Taurine min. 0.10% Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)* min. 0.04% Can someone explain?
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 24 May, 2013
    Pet food labels have useless information :? There are online food charts that lists exact nutritonal content of a variety of foods. I posted a few of those links here. Wellness CORE kitten canned formula has 36% protein. The regular Wellness kitten formula has 28% protein. Both are fine to feed to a kitten =; Your kitten will grow up healthy no matter what kind of canned food you feed =; You can talk to the vet about maybe adding in a supplement but most likely the vet will say the food you are currently feeding meets the kitten's needs. A raw food diet would have more protein in it, especially if you make your own raw food.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 28 May, 2013
    I was raised on this: Guaranteed Analysis Crude Protein (min.) 10.00% Crude Fat (min.) 7.00% Crude Fiber (max.) 1.00% Moisture (max.) 77.00% Ash (max.) 2.50% Linoleic Acid (min.) 0.50% Calcium (min.) 0.23% Phosphorus (min.) 0.19% Zinc (min.) 40 mg/kg Taurine (min.) 0.05% Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) (min.)* 4 mg/kg * Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles. And I have tuned out GREAT! But there is a new formula that we are all eating now! Wet Food is ALL GRAIN FREE!! =D> Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Pork Broth, Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Sodium Phosphate, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Salt, Taurine Guaranteed Analysis Crude Protein (Min.) 13.00% Crude Fat (Min.) 6.00% Crude Fiber (Max.) 1.00% Moisture (Max.) 78.00% Ash (Max.) 3.50% BUT SINCE we are all ADULT cats now... we are eating the Adult Formula. Meowma has the Adult Grain Free, Duck and Potato Formula for us right now!