TOTW for Kitten

Amber MartinAmber Martin WartburgMember Posts: 179
edited 31 May, 2013 in Food & Nutrition
So, my cat Floyd recently passed on, and I've been offered another kitten as a graduation present from my old computer teacher. I went to see the little guy a few days ago, and I was enchanted. I want another cat, my house seems empty without one so I decided to adopt the little guy. When I joined Catster, there was a lot of things I didn't know about cat nutrition, like cats get most of their moisture from food. When I had Floyd, he was just eating what my brother's cat ate (something cheap and bad like Meow Mix or something) and it was kibble. Firefly, my dog eats a wet and kibble diet of TOTW High Prairie since I know more about dog nutrition. Now that I've learned some things I've been thinking of putting my new kitten on TOTW Rocky Mountain and Canyon River wet food. I did get a bag of kibble, because I like mixing wet and dry. I also stocked up on Stella and Chewy's, which I know is pretty good because Floyd did get to eat for a long while. I think that would be good, but is the grain free enough nutrition for the kitten? Will he get all the nutrients he needs from wet, dry, and freeze dried raw? When he gets older, I'm thinking of buying NV's raw dinners and reducing kibble intake gradually. I know raw would be the best, but I want to slowly transition myself to a raw feeder (still nervous!) so I just like to incorporate raw staples while having kibble to fall back on. But I think starting on canned would be a start even though I will still feed kibble. In two weeks you'll get to meet the cute little guy :)

Comments

• Jordan SpivaJordan Spiva Los Angeles,CAMember Posts: 355
    edited 21 May, 2013
    Yeah it should be perfectly fine, the whole "different food for each life stage" thing is a bit of a myth. The only difference is the quantity, and kittens will obviously need to eat more.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 21 May, 2013
    I'm not sure why you'd even bother with the kibble, but that's just my opinion. My bigger concern is that you say you're mixing kibble and canned. I hope you don't mean you're mixing them in the same dish? Kibble is a big carrier of bacteria and making it wet can be very dangerous. Never moisten kibble for any reason.
  • Amber MartinAmber Martin WartburgMember Posts: 179
    edited 21 May, 2013
    Well thanks BK! I didn't know that, so I won't be doing that. I guess it is because I like to do kibble. I think a wet, raw, and kibble rotational will meet all his nutritional needs. I know a lot of people are strongly against kibble, but I would just like to do that because I've always liked rotational diets that include all varieties of foods. It is a personal preference I guess. Thanks guys!
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 22 May, 2013
    It is definitely a personal preference but also of knowledge. Without starting the kibble debate, I just found that there are way too many reasons not to feed it, for me. Anyway, one more thing - don't feed raw within 12 hours of kibble, again because of bacteria. Kibble is full of ingredients that a cat can't digest well, if at all, so it moves through their digestive system very slowly. If you feed raw after kibble the raw can be "stuck" behind it. Normally bacteria on raw is not an issue because of the acids in their stomach and the speed with which it moves through the intestines. But raw moving at the speed of kibble can build up dangerous levels of bacteria. Hope this helps!
    edited 22 May, 2013
    It was very helpful! Thank you :)
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 22 May, 2013
    You can do a rotational diet with just canned and raw food :) Maybe give some (dry) freeze dried raw once in awhile for crunch. Not all freeze dried foods are complete diets so read the label. Stella and Chewy's is one good brand to use :) I guess you can give a few pieces of regular dry food as an occasional treat if you feel your cat must have some dry food :? It's good to expose a kitten to different types of foods :) You never know if (much) later in life your kitten has to eat only a specific food for a health reason, like canned or raw food for diabetes. Switching diet later in life can be difficult. Or if you have to evacuate for a emergency and the only thing you can easily feed without the need for refrigeration is dry food.
    edited 25 May, 2013
    Thanks Merlin :) I've been doing lots of research on raw. Will be sure to give an update when I pick my new kitten up (we have already named the kitten Newt).
  • Lee Ann KoffinasLee Ann Koffinas OrlandoMember Posts: 346
    edited 28 May, 2013
    I wouldn't mix kibble with canned for the same reasons given in the other posts. Having a kitten is like having a teenage boy, they are never full. My kitten is almost a year old now, and has slowed down his eating a bit, but he was eating 3 - 4 times a day, wet food, to now he is eating 3 times a day. I feed wellness grain free, chicken and turkey only (one cat is allergic to beef) and I mix water in it, and they are content. I would say if you are going to supplement a small amount of dry in between their feeding times, it would be ok, although I am not a fan of kibble at all, since I have had cats with major urinary problems from kibble, but if they are eaitng wet food, I think some kibble would probably be ok. My daughter does this. She is a college student and works, so she feeds her kitten wet food 2x a day, and leaves him a little kibble in the middle of the day. One thing I would not do though is leave an endless supply of kibble for them, because they will end up preferring that over the canned food, and they will get overweight from non stop kibble supply. So as long as you don't do that, your probably going to be fine. I have never fed TOTW for cats, but I have for my dog, and I don't prefer it. I'm not a fan of the foods that have gravies and chunks. I much prefer the pate style foods for my cat and dogs. I do however give my dog TOTW dry....in addition to feeding her canned Natural Balance food. For my cats, I feed Wellness grain free. They do not like the Core for some reason. I like the turkey and chicken for them, mixed with some water. I have also recently fed them Halo, the chicken stew one, and they LOVED it. I have fed Weruva too, and also very much like Natures Variety Instinct grain free. I would probably feed them NV but the only place that sells it near me is far, so I feed Wellness. My cats coats are like velvet and they have been very healthy on it. My vet asks me at every visit what I feed my cats, that they have magnificent coats. One of them is a maine coon with a very impressive coat, and he is very soft and healthy looking. I find that when I feed a better quality food, I can feed less of it and they are full. I was feeding Newman's Own Oragnic for a while, but my cats seem starved on it. THey don't act like that on the other foods, I stick with what works for us.
    edited 31 May, 2013
    Update: I have my kitten now, Bubbles. :D She is a cute blue bicolor exotic shorthair mix. As far as diet, I decided to do a rotational of canned and pouched foods. I will keep the kibble in case of emergencies or if I have to go out of town, etc. Thank you everyone who helped me with my questions about cat nutrition. Unfortunately my journey with raw is not destined yet (I'm going away to college in the fall and my mom said no to raw feeding my animals). But we are 100% canned feeding. =; I use: TOTW Canyon River & Rocky Mountain Natural Balance Platables Stella & Chewy's Wellness CORE I always transition slowly when rotating as well. Thank you all for the helpful information. I really appreciated all of it.