Bad Breath

Annette RuggieroAnnette Ruggiero Palm CoastMember Posts: 208
edited 15 November, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
Mom says i have bad kitty breath and i was wondering if it was from my food or not. I eat Science Diet and she isn’t sure if that’s what it’s from or not. I know I can get my teeth cleaned but is there anything else that she can do at home to keep me smelling good?

Comments

• Karlee UrbanoskiKarlee Urbanoski CalgaryMember Posts: 85
    edited 27 February, 2006
    You could try brushing you cats teeth with speacial cat toothpaste!
  • Karlee UrbanoskiKarlee Urbanoski CalgaryMember Posts: 85
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh ya, and I am kind of scared to mention this just because it's a hot topic, but I feed my cats raw and raw chicken necks have cleaned there teeth so much I don't have to brush anymore.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey, Scruffy, where does your person get the chicken necks? Our local stores will only sell in ridiculous quantities, so I haven't had them yet, though I hear they're GREAT
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oops - sorry - double post!
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'd like to know where you get them, too, Scruffy.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Meows, bad breath can indicate teeth problems. Perhaps a trip to the vet will confirm wheter you have teeth problems or not. Have you tried treats that clean teeth and freshens breath? Feline Greenies are quite good.
  • Alison MacDonaldAlison MacDonald SomervilleMember Posts: 343
    edited 27 February, 2006
    bad breath could be from diet. regardless,i would definitley switch your food. science diet,IMHO , is at the bottom of the list for quality. Solid Gold, Innova,Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul,to mention a few ,are some of the best if you feed kibble. Raw is the way to go though if you can get your cats to eat it. mine will take some raw as treats, but won't eat it otherwise.anyone who feeds raw have any suggestions?
  • Alison MacDonaldAlison MacDonald SomervilleMember Posts: 343
    edited 27 February, 2006
    bad breath could be from diet. regardless,i would definitley switch your food. science diet,IMHO , is at the bottom of the list for quality. Solid Gold, Innova,Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul,to mention a few ,are some of the best if you feed kibble. Raw is the way to go though if you can get your cats to eat it. mine will take some raw as treats, but won't eat it otherwise.anyone who feeds raw have any suggestions?
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Persephone! Our mom has been trying to switch us to raw for a while. We're not fully convinced that it's the best thing for us so we've been giving her a hard time. She's just been taking it slow, giving us real small amounts and trying to increase the amount very s-l-o-w-l-y. She came across a good link the other day that explains how to switch stubborn kitties like us. http://www.catfood.catnutrition.org/FAQ.htm
  • Diana MertensDiana Mertens Warner RobinsMember Posts: 5,435 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Ricky - hate to say it, but you may have to see your vet (I know, I know). Once I had horrid breath, and Mommy could do nothing about it - but the vet could. See, they said the bad breath was just a symptom of a bigger problem - bad teeth. So they cleaned my teeth really well, and my bad breath was all gone!
  • Amy CunninghamAmy Cunningham Bucks CountyMember Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi! Your webpage says your 6 months old - most likely the smell is because you\'re getting your adult teeth and your baby teeth are falling out still. Kitten breath is stinky during this time - and is not an indication of health problems. (In adult cat\'s it is an indication). But anyway...your mom should brush your teeth with a cat toothpaste and cat brush at least once a week. And once a year you should get a professional cleaning at the vet. It\'s worth it for healthy teeth and gums. All sorts of problems can happen to cat teeth - including other health issues that happen cause of bad teeth - so it\'s good to start a routine from an early age. Good luck!!!