Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Question/opinion about canned food

edited 20 November, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
Midnight Helen's mom speaking: I just started Midnight Helen on canned food after she had been eating nothing but dry food for practically all of her life. The reason I started canned is that it seemed to me that it was getting a little difficult for her to chew in the last few months (she had her bottom "fangs" (haha) removed about 7 or 8 years ago--I don't know what the long fang-like teeth are called). Anyway, here's my question: Is it best to refrigerate the canned food or not? I read somewhere once that it actually tasted better when it's refrigerated, but I just fed her some and it actually about made me gag, where the gravy was nothing but "jelly" and it sure didn't look very appetizing to me. I was just wondering if anyone else refrigerates canned food. Thanks!! Midnight's mom

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom refridgerates open cans of cat food but she\'ll warm the food up a little in the microwave for me before she serves it. It smells so yummy that way!
  • Megan NelsonMegan Nelson Member Posts: 189
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ours is always refrigerated before opening and after... mom hates she smell and this way there is hardly any smell... we really have no preference... it is mixed with kibble anyways. Rasza PS mom wants to say something... "make sure it is quality canned food... all the cheap stuff has lots of sugar that will rot teeth. my guys only get canned food you can get at the good kitty food store (Wellness is the favorite here!)"
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Meows, canned food should be refrigerated to prevent spoiling. Perhaps next time you can let the can sit out on the counter for about 10 minutes to left the jellied gravy become liquid again. My Human refrigerates my canned food (I only eat half a can at a time) and I don't mind the jellied gravy at all.
    Hi cats, thanks so much for your input. Mom says the idea of letting it sit on the counter for 10 minutes is a really good one. But like you, I don't mind the jellied gravy. I think this is just another one of mom's issues. Thanks again! Love, Midnight Helen
    Mom feeds me half a can at room temperature in the morning, and refrigerates the rest until the night. She heats that up a little in the microwave so it's about room temp (10 seconds) because I don't like cold food.. it takes me longer to eat! MH, if you're having some trouble with your mouth anyway, maybe fresh-from-the-fridge food will be a little cold for your gums. A quick zap in the microwave for the cold stuff, or some fresh from the can, should be good for you. Mom read somewhere that constant refrigeration/reheat/refridge/reheating of food can cause bacteria to grow in it, so just watch for that. Oh, and your "fangs" are also called "canines." Poor choice of name for them if you ask me.. Stupid dogs.
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our mom refrigerates what's not used at one feeding and then when giving us the rest (usually in the morning) she will add a little hot water to make it nice a mushy and it's not as cold. We seem to like it especially in the morning when we're tired from a night of playing. This way we don't have to chew as much either because it's all mushy!
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our mom refrigerates what's not used at one feeding and then when giving us the rest (usually in the morning) she will add a little hot water to make it nice a mushy and it's not as cold. We seem to like it especially in the morning when we're tired from a night of playing. This way we don't have to chew as much either because it's all mushy!
  • Cheryl TengCheryl Teng New York CityMember Posts: 7
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Just wanted to mention that when storing leftover canned food in the refrigerator, it's best not to store it in the original can. This applies to both pet food and people food. The food should be transferred to sealable food-grade container. Once a can is opened and the inside of the can comes into contact with oxygen in the air, corrosion, which is minimal while a can is sealed, becomes more rapid. This can increases the likelihood of the substances used to make the cans (e.g., the tin coating on the steel cans) getting into the food. The long term side effects of tin ingestion are unclear. In the short term, however, tin ingestion can cause stomach upsets such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps and bloating.
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    if you mix the food up after you refrigerate the jellie is a bit less gross, since you can't see it any more. you can always get the flaked, minced, ect other non-loaf style cat foods that don't get that jellie stuff. Merrick brand cat food is really good and most aren't load but real pieces of meat.
  • Sally WrightSally Wright DenverMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Innova, California Natural, and Merrick wet foods are all really good and don't have that "jelly" like some other brands have. I was shocked when I opened my first can of Innova after having fed the Friskies canned food - there weren't any disgusting chunks and all of the ingredients are human grade (that's the same with all 3 brands that I mentioned at first). It even had chunks of apples and carrots in there! Kenya wouldn't touch the Friskies canned food, even her favorite flavors, after she had the Innova. Now she prefers the Merrick flavors (Grammy's Pot Pie and Thanksgiving Dinner - yum yum!), but she'll eat all 3 brands with no fuss. They do seem to prefer the food if it's room temperature. I've tried microwaving it, but no matter what brand I have at the time, it always ends up stinking to me. bleh! lol I try to set the can out when I get home, so it's not so cold by the time it's dinner time. ~Kenya and Simone's mom