Petitions - do they even work?

Sveta SSveta S New yorkMember Posts: 31
edited 23 March, 2007 in Laws & Legislation
Have they been proven to work? Just wondering

Comments

• Susan MavesSusan Maves MaconMember Posts: 6,697
    edited 23 March, 2007
    I don't know Niki. I think the key is getting them into the right hands...note that is plural. I don't believe it does any good to deliver a petition to just one person, or to deliver it to multiple people but all on the same side of the cause/within the same organization, etc. I think a petition needs to be presented to various parties. But one of the bigger points of a petition is that hopefully it brings general awareness to an issue.
  • Tony BlackwellTony Blackwell Cardiff, WalesMember Posts: 1,019
    edited 23 March, 2007
    I think you have to look at it like this. If you are a business or a government etc. and you get a list of genuine people telling you that they don't like the way you are doing things - then you'd be wise to listen. Because it's often those people who put you where you are and those same people can pull you off that spot as well. After all - a general election is also a sort of opinion poll. ;)