Furniture scratching...

Michelle BrundrettMichelle Brundrett Grand PrairieMember Posts: 405
edited 12 September, 2013 in Behavior & Training
I've begun to notice Tia digging her claws into my living room chair...it seems she does this when there is a lot of activity going on, she's overly excited from playing, or she's upset. A friend/coworker of mine and her 7 year old recently moved in with us, and I think all the excitement brought on by having a child, an adult, AND another dog around is causing her a lot of stress. I don't normally allow her in my room due to having a Crested Gecko that she likes to torment, but I have been (with supervision) if things get really crazy.

Comments

• Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 11 September, 2013
    That clawing is a tension release, between getting excited after playing, and with the changes there, she is expressing herself the way a kitty does. I would get a Feliway plug in, and they suggest using the spray on the area being scratched too. I also use calming treats with mine. Is there somewhere quiet she can hang out with you a little each day as special time? that may help too.
  • Michelle BrundrettMichelle Brundrett Grand PrairieMember Posts: 405
    edited 12 September, 2013
    Yes. From the hours of 6a-2p my roomie is at work and her son is at school, so it's just me and the pets there. Roomie's dog gets put in their room (I let her out to go potty several times so she's not always in there) so it's pretty much just me, Tia, and Angel out and about in the house. I work overnights, so when they are all asleep Tia gets most of the house to herself. The busiest times are when the kiddo gets home from school until he goes to bed, lol. So when I go to my room, Tia gets to come in there with me.