Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Cat peeing outside of box

John SmithJohn Smith Member Posts: 2
edited 7 November, 2013 in Behavior & Training
I have a 14 year old male cat that pees outside the litter box every few days. I have three boxes and I keep them cleaned often. I think he's having neurological issues, but perhaps it's something else. I plan on taking him to the Vet in a few days. I thought I'd get some feedback from others here first before the visit. This way I can enter the Vet office armed with proper questions. What have others experienced in this situation?

Comments

• Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 13 February, 2013
    late to this, but always check for a medical issue first. are you sure he is not marking? you can try using Cat Atract litter, it is supposed to be very good. Also use an enzyme cleaner where he has gone, like Nature's Miracle, because he will still smell it otherwise.
  • John SmithJohn Smith Member Posts: 2
    edited 16 February, 2013
    We haven't seen him do it in action, but it's clearly not a mistake of "hanging" over the box. He picks a perimeter wall and does his thing. He's hit about 4 or 5 different spots along the wall. We thought he might be seeing cats outside and he is marking his territory, so we closed ALL of the blinds so he can't see out. We've done this for about 4 days, but this morning we woke up to pee on the floor near one of the perimeter walls. I think he's just losing his marbles. He's been pooping outside the box for almost a year. The Vets never figured out why he is doing that. We've been living with it. But, cat pee is a different story. In terms of "Cat Attract" litter, he goes in the box 99% of the time. I have to get him to the Vet, but it's so expensive. Probably do the UTI tests, but might consider a blood test too if it's not expensive. If they can't figure it out, then it's time to weigh the pro/cons of euthanasia. So sad.
  • Skyii SimSkyii Sim Member Posts: 1
    edited 7 November, 2013
    When you grow old and start to pee or poo outside the toilet, I hope your kids consider putting you down just like how you're considering to put down your cat for the same reason...