Vomiting - Overeating?

Holly BlaserHolly Blaser Akron, OHMember Posts: 42
edited 27 November, 2013 in Cat Health
Hi folks, I've tried just about everything so I thought maybe cat owners would have an answer! I have two kitties, they're 9 & 8, mom and daughter, both around 13 lbs, one long hair one short hair. Since they've been adults they puke. A lot. I feed them a bit of wet food in the morning, about half a teaspoon each because they crave it, (Friskies Elegant Medleys, but I've tried dozens of brands and types), I don't think this is a factor due to the teeny amount that it is, I've also tried not giving them this and it still happens. For their dry food, I've also tried dozens, but have settled on Hills Science Diet, they're on the Mature Adult Indoor type. I've tried the sensitive stomach version, the hairball control, many brands. Nothing is helping. It's been happening for years. In this time they've had 3 vets due to moving and they all say the same thing mainly..get the Hills Science Diet. To be icky, the vomit is normally solids, some partially digested. I feed them only when their bowl is empty, which is usually twice a day, they get 1/2 cup both times. (each cat would be eating 1/2 c probably). This leads to me to believe that they're gorging, and then it hits their tummy and expands and then they puke..which is awful cause then they're hungry again..and it's robbing them of nutrients, etc. I'm just at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong. I had them to the vet this past weekend and discussed what was going on and the vet said to cut back the food a bit (I only feed them when their bowl is empty and they're crying :( But other than that, they're perfectly fine. He checked them out, shots are up to date, litterbox is fine, and #1's and #2's are normal. I've tried lots of tactics too, like spreading the kibble around on a 11x17 mat, so they're working for it a bit, not scarfing. After 2 weeks of that it's puke as usual..it's pretty much a daily basis..one or the other will puke. They're not in a high traffic or stress area...it's down in the basement..they're alone down there with nobody to bother them, plenty of fresh water, I see them drinking all the time. So are they just gluttonous? Does anybody out there have a cat like this, and if you think it's food related, did you ever come across a brand that didn't make them vomit? I love my babies and I want to do right by them but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong! Thx for any advice in advance!

Comments

• Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 23 January, 2010
    This is Delyte. There are two things I would consider. They may have a partial blockage in their stomach due to long-term hairball formation, or even something larger. When I had a growth in my intestine, I would vomit like this because the passage through was blocked further on. The other is that they are allergic to something in the food and it is causing an instant reaction. Have you tried feeding them things that have no cat food in them, like cooked chicken, baby food or tuna? Some cats are very sensitive to the chemicals in canned food, or one of the cereal components used. It could even be an allergy to something in the cans themselves. The material used in lining cat food cans is under consideration for banning for human consumption. Also, our cats will occasionally, not always, vomit immediately after they have eaten because they feel stressed by one of the other cats intruding on their territories. Even if the cats are close friends--and ours are not!--eating is a serious pastime and cats are nervous about others interfering. The Hills foods that the vets are always trying to get people to try are mostly cereal and not good for much of anything except the bankrolls of the manufacturer. Good luck with it! Having a cat who is sick all the time is very wearing on everyone and on the carpet.
  • Babydoll MackeyBabydoll Mackey Fort WayneMember Posts: 384
    edited 23 January, 2010
    i would give them Petromalt (just in case its hairballs).. switch food to something that doesn\'t have animal by products or grains.. maybe even try giving 1/4 of a Pepcid AC. Chippy was throwing up constantly and actually stopped eating. she lost 9lbs in 8 months.. i was giving her 1/4 Pepcid 2 daily and it wasn\'t working.. i eventually switched their food to Wellness and she almost immediately stopped throwing up her food. within a week she starting gaining weight and eating more than the big boys in the family :) i only feed my cats (range in weight from 8lbs to 20lbs) 1/4 cup a food 2 times a day. mostly because i wanted Marley to loose weight and Chippy to gain. and like i said the little bitty Chippy girl (who was only 7lbs) is eating more of the 1/4 cup than the boys are :)
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 23 January, 2010
    Hi Pootie please read an article I just posted on the food and nutrition forum about prescription food. Also read a site called catinfo.org. Its really sad that your vet is pushing this food on you, your cats probably have allergies to the chemicals and the grain in this food, also sounds like there could be a hairball situation too. I would really advice switching to a grain free high protein diet. Can you stop feeding the dry hills science diet, and feed them only the wet that you have been giving them? Then if you can financially afford it give them some wet food like Wellness grain free, or Evo wet food. We buy the big cans by the case then you get a discount. We also rotate flavours so they dont get bored. Most vets (the ones toting these foods) are not educated enough in feline nutrition, only a mere few hours, and the training they get is by the pet food company.:-/ Anyhow if you read the catinfo.org site you will learn alot about this and also how much food to give your cats. Let us know how it goes ok, if omiting this dry science diet food does not do the trick, then let us know and will give an idea of what your next step will be.
  • Sharon MurphySharon Murphy SurreyMember Posts: 1,652
    edited 23 January, 2010
    The problem might not be medical, actually. If they're 13 pounds, they are obviously getting enough food, so they might be gorging themselves then throwing it up. They also could be eating too fast. If you continue to feed the dry food (and I suggest you switch from the Science Diet...) you can elevate the food and maybe put a ping pong ball in the dish, so they'll eat more slowly. If you're feeding them 1/2 cup of food a day, that's a decent amount, but if you meant 1/2 a cup twice a day, then it's too much. It almost sounds like they're eating past the fullness stage, then just throwing up the excess. Wellness and Evo are good foods you can try. You should go with a grain-free version if you can. By the way, the pictures on both kitties' pages are adorable!!
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 23 January, 2010
    We're going to agree with everything above. I would move them off dry and onto a high quality, grain free wet food. Also, try feeding very small portions more often. I would feed a teaspoon, see if they keep it down and then feed another one. Good luck!
  • Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
    edited 23 January, 2010
    My male cat has a similar problem. I\'ve tried all different kinds of food, both wet and dry and he still pukes about once a week. It usually happens immediately after he\'s eaten some wet food. Even though I have him on a grainless wet diet it still happens. Your cats could be allergic to something in their food or have hair in their stomach. Not all cats who have IBS have diarrhea if there\'s irritation further up in their intestinal tract. Have you tried Natural Balance? They make a limited ingredients diet for cats with allergies or stomach issues. I wouldn\'t recommend trying the Salmon flavor but the Duck Green Pea is quite tasty (according to my cats) and they also have a Chicken Green Pea. They also make a limited ingredients wet diet as well. You should also brush your cats daily to remove any excess hair so they don\'t ingest it. Best of luck, I know it can be so frustrating.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 23 January, 2010
    We agree with the poster who says 1/4 cup at a time is enough. The cat food label always has an amount listed that is too high unless you are really active, and you should not feed that nuch at a time. I also spew if I eat more than about 3 tablespoons to 1/4 cup at a time, no matter what kind of food it is. Meowma has learned to wait even if I haven't been fed for a while but she sees me having a good long drink of water. The late Rocky did the same thing; he would snarf down too much food in a hurry because he thought someone else might get it. At this point, I purrsonally would not worry about buying a different brand; try reducing the amount at a time first and see if it help. If not, then change food, or try giving the dry and wet further apart (but still less!) As far as brands of food go, Science Diet is one of the three brands I will eat, and none of the three are grain free or of the "better" brands according to the catinfo page. I just won't touch ANY wet or raw food, Blue buffalo, Wellness, or anything like that. (The local shelter kitties loved my pickiness before Meowma gave up!) But, I will be 14 in 2 weeks, have the best fur ever, and am healthy and even still play a little (lookit my trick video on my page!) I am a little overweight, but much of that is due to Meowma having to give me lactulose which is milk sugar every day (My colon doesn't move food through without it--age related) . Anyway, good luck, i know this is frustrating!
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 23 January, 2010
    This is Delyte. After I gave you all of that sage advice, this morning I ate all of my Friskies wet cat food for breakfast in about two minutes, and then ralphed it all up immediately, and now am sulking under the chair. This might have been because we were totally out of cat food when our person got up, both wet and dry. She thinks we work ourselves into a frenzy when there is no food and I make myself sick with that and eating too fast. Since I have the hyperthyroid, I am always hungry and it makes it worse. I've been on the medication for more than a year now and think it is not working as well as it did. When we are out of dry food, we go and get toys and put them in the dry food dish, sort of an offering to the food goods to restore our cat food. Always works! I'd like to hear about that milk sugar thing, as I am old and have a shortened colon. Do you buy special stuff or can you use regular milk? [Yum!]
  • kristina bkristina b Member Posts: 169
    edited 23 January, 2010
    Hi! I would get them off the Hill's Food and feed them one of the holistic/natural diets. Hill's has alot of junk in it. All my cats' food dishes are elevated. My Emma is famous for racing with her sisters from 4am-6am breakfast. If it's too much racing she'll wolf down breakfast and puke it immediately. (Eating it an hour later, she'll keep it down.) Tonight for the first time, she got out the door when I got home, and got in big trouble. I should've waited a few minutes before feeding her, but I fed her right away and then she puked (stress). Scaredy-cat Dallia puked if a noise scared her while eating. I installed a Feliway at her foodbowl; she hasn't puked in years! Then there's the catch-all diseases (as my vet called them, can't find anything wrong, but why else the puke?), Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Empty Stomach Syndrome. Suli had them, as long as she could all day she didn't puke; she lived with it for 13years. Good luck!
  • Holly BlaserHolly Blaser Akron, OHMember Posts: 42
    edited 25 January, 2010
    Thanks for all the great advice and replies! I've tried using Laxotone (similar to Petromalt I think?) before..did it according to the package for a few weeks and the pukefest continued. I don't think it's blockage or hairball related, because they will still have a hairball puke too occasionally, with hair in it and no food. So I'm thinking more along the lines of an allergy or the food disagreeing with them. They are mom & daughter so I guess that's possible they both have it. I have tried regular meat, cooked chicken, raw meats as just a reward or treat, and they puke that up too! Probably reason being they had just got done eating their regular food and were full. Most of the time the bites are hardly chewed up..I think this is a problem too, they're not breaking it down enough maybe? I've noticed the Hills bites are a bit big, they'll maybe break them in half but it's still kind of big, that was sort of a concern for me. I'm going to go to the Pet Store and do some shopping...there's got to be a better food out there that's affordable! I'll check into that Wellness brand, I noticed they're not available at my Petsmart. Are there any other brands like it that they would carry maybe, or is Wellness my best bet? Thank you so much!! ~a~
    edited 25 January, 2010
    As a follow-up...has anybody tried the Blue Buffalo brand? Reading up on it, it seems to be about the same as Wellness with the nutritional side as well as being corn free. Just wondering :D
    edited 25 January, 2010
    Petsmart carries Blue Buffalo (also known as Blue Spa) which is a good brand. Right now my cats get a mix of Weruva and Wellness Pouches (the kinds with no fish) and so far it's been 2 weeks and my male cat has not thrown up. The most common cat allergies are: beef, fish, wheat, corn and soy.
    edited 25 January, 2010
    My cats enjoyed the flaked healthy gourmet flavors better than the pate style food. The only thing about Blue Buffalo is they put brown rice in their wet food which may or may not agree with some cats. Although my male cat loved it, it made him puke.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 25 January, 2010
    Bumpurr feeds Blue Buffalo and they are happy with it, though I would stay away from the grains since this is may be one of the reasons why your cats are puking. Can you find Wellness in your area? maybe do a few phone calls and see if they sell the Wellness canned foods, or Evo.
  • Josie NoeckerJosie Noecker Member Posts: 41
    edited 25 January, 2010
    An idea in case you want to look around to find Wellness brand canned food. My mum works at a food Co-Op and is the pet food buyer there. If there is an organic food Co-Op in your neighborhood you can ask them if they could special order it for you. (if they get food products from UNFI) Petco carries Wellness (at least the one mum goes to). A local pet store may be able to special order it for you as well. It's worth asking around. If you want to try the Blue Buffalo, the Wilderness formula is grain-free. (I believe) When my mum was talking with a person at PetCo, the said the Wilderness line is amazing. Mum was asking her about the pet foods (before she added Wellness to the Co-Op). The lady said both the Wilderness and the Wellness formulas were good, even tho she (the lady) fed Wilderness/Blue Buffalo. Another thing you could try to is an elimination diet, someone on here would be able to help you with that, or you can find information online. This would help determine if there is an allergy due to a grain or even meat-based. I have a sensitive tummy as well and my mum has been doing many different things to find a happy medium to which works for me. Currently I get Wellness Grain Free turkey food in the a.m. and for afternoon/evening feeding time I get a small amount of Wellness Indoor Formula dry food. Mum has tried feeding me mainly canned food; but I would still have several episodes of throwing up. I still have an episode here and there, but this routine has helped my stools as well as my throwing up. Once you find something that works, try to not change it up too much. I have found the more flavors or varieties of grain-free canned food mum tried on me, the more my tummy got upset. She would eventually like to start me on a raw diet when time allows, and is looking into options of incorporating raw meat as a snack/treat or incorporated with my canned food. There are several good brands of dry food out there, I would invest in getting one and transitioning over. Regardless of the amound of dry food fed, it is better to have a good quality one over something found cheaply at the supermarket. Wet food is 100% better, but finding one without grains would be a good start. As a last resort there are some super market brands that are gluten-free, which if one has a really picky kitty, they would be the 'better evil' to feed than one that does have gluten. Good luck!
    edited 25 January, 2010
    I picked up the Wellness Indoor Health this afternoon, along with some of their canned food. We'll give it a shot! I mean it only makes sense, annoys me that so much cat food has corn in it, cats need meat, not corn! It's a bit pricey, but these kitties are my kids, it's cheaper than feeding a kid! :))
  • Sharon MurphySharon Murphy SurreyMember Posts: 1,652
    edited 25 January, 2010
    The not chewing issue isn't really an issue. Cat's tend not to chew, as their teeth are designed for tearing at meat, rather than crunching up kibble. Alaidh ate dry food all her life and half of it was scarfed down whole! She lived to be 20 and was not a puker...lol. And the water drinking reminded me of my sister's cat Katy. She drinks a lot after she eats and, believe it or not, if she's not burped like a baby afterwards, she'll barf up her food! My dad used to love burping her (he found it hilarious) when my sister still lived at home with her cats...lol. But try elevating their food. It might be something simple like that! I'm glad you got some Wellness for them...hopefully they like it!!
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 25 January, 2010
    Please be aware that you should mix the new food with the old food, so you do not have poopoo problems! Because you have been feeding food with less real meat, they may not have the enzymes in there systems, to digest the meat proteins in the new food. You should go 75% old to 25% new for two days, then 50x50 for two days and 75% new to 25% old for two days and after that , no problems! Please keep us informed as to how things go, Dawn |:|
  • Josie NoeckerJosie Noecker Member Posts: 41
    edited 26 January, 2010
    I agree with the gradual switching over of food. :) It brings up something else the person at Petco said. She said that Wellness is a great food, but some cats adjust horribly to it if it is not done gradually. I'm not sure what the 'horrible' part is; but I'm assuming digestive issues (poos, etc.) I will say too, that I had a horrible time with the canned food at first. Mum had to mix in the gluten-free Fancy Feast in with it for me to eat it. After I got used to it, I've been fine eating it plain now without any sneaky food 'tricks'. Adjusting to a new food is a process sometimes...and I like to make it as difficult as possible!
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 27 January, 2010
    For myself if I get too hungry & eat fast, I barf too (daintily though - as I am a princess) Mom saw in Foster & Son catalogue, a stainless bowl with a sort of hump in the middle to encourage slower eating. That might help any kitties with over zealous chowing. We too are switching over to Wilderness. ONce upon a time I was on Science Diet (Mom thought she was doing the right thing) boy did we learn alot from this site!
  • kristina bkristina b Member Posts: 169
    edited 27 January, 2010
    For whatever it's worth Blue Buffalo has the little nutrient things in the bag; if they all settle to the bottom, does that mean there's nutrients in the top of the bag? My cats tried that but for whatever reason it didn't agree with them. After the mix of old & new kibbles, the cats puked. The little nutrients are black and stained the carpet. It was a h of a time to get that stain out.
    edited 28 January, 2010
    Well a few days in and we've only had one small puke, I'm going to attribute that to the adjustment period though so it's going well! It's funny when I pour out the Wellness they both just look at me like...yeah that's nice, where's our old stuff? Mixing it they just pick out the old stuff then eventually get around to eating the wellness. They're just gonna have to get used to it, our Spotbot is getting worn out!
    edited 1 February, 2010
    Still no pukes..this is amazing! ::o Man I'm gonna save so much money on paper towels, lol! They're completely off their old stuff now, have been for a few days. Just as an experiment I gave them a bite of their old food as a treat, within minutes one of them puked! It has to have to do with something corn-related in their old food. I feel so bad for forcing them to eat it all these years!
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 1 February, 2010
    wow that is great! glad they are doing well. Here's to a barf free zone! =D>
  • Steve WhelanSteve Whelan Member Posts: 2
    edited 27 November, 2013
    Gorging and Vomiting is fairly common with cats. The Wireless Whiskers pet feeder meters out their allowance in hourly slices and prevents gorging. No gorging... no vomiting. It also allows to put up to 8 pets on separate weight loss diets and control access for different pets. www.wirelesswhiskers.com
  • Steve WhelanSteve Whelan Member Posts: 2
    edited 27 November, 2013
    Our cat used to gorge then vomiting. We tried the the feeder by Wireless Whiskers. It divides allowances into 24 small meals to prevent gorging and overeating and works with up to 8 cats. It worked great for us and we have had no problems since. Their website is www.wirelesswhiskers.com .