health at risk?

Mittens ZinoMittens Zino Member Posts: 74
edited 20 December, 2013 in Cat Health
Hi, we need to have mittens spayed soon as she is about 5 months now and in my area it seems the vets run about 200-300. I was doing some research and a local shelter has a list of low cost spay/neuter places. this would run me about 35-50, much lower. My husband has been out of work the last 5 months so money is not overflowing at the moment however we are not willing to compromise her health just to save a few bucks so we were wondering if this is a good option? would the likely have the ability to care for an emergency that would come up? what would you recommend and why is there such a difference in pricing?

Comments

• Mittens ZinoMittens Zino Member Posts: 74
    edited 20 December, 2013
    just to update, I made an appointment but its not till January. is this still a good idea?
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 20 December, 2013
    I guess cost depends on the type of clinic :-k Long ago I went to a low cost vet clinic. When it was time for me to be neutered, the vet filled out a low cost spay/neuter form and sent me to a regular full service vet hospital for the procedure. Human paid about $50 or so. Full price would have been well over $100 and that would likely include ward fees, anesthesia, blood work, biohzardous waste disposal fee, etc. I suggest calling each place that offers low cost spay/neuter and ask questions. I suggest going to full service vet hospital than a little clinic or a mobile vet. There is very little complication from a neuter. The butt will be sore for a few days but many cats recover just fine =;
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December, 2013
    I think you should be fine going to the low-cost clinic. Most of them are low-cost not because they are lower quality, but because they are funded primarily through donations and grants. (It never hurts to check them out beforehand, though!) Concatulations on your procedure, Mittens! You're going to be a real grown-up housecat now! ~a~=D>%:D%;c;=;|:|=;;c;%:D%=D>~a~
  • Sarah ManolisSarah Manolis San FranciscoMember Posts: 148
    edited 20 December, 2013
    I've used low-cost neuter clinics on two cats. It's great that you're doing it now. It's very routine and they bounce back very quickly. You should have no problems! -z