I'm despate: not eating and now we are throwing up...

Mittens ZinoMittens Zino Member Posts: 74
edited 27 December, 2013 in Cat Health
I'm living in a cat nightmare! Mittens is throwing up I'd say atleast twice a day. Its not soild though its like liquid but its clear though. I was in the proccess of changing over her food to evo (we didn't feed grain free before) canned and her kibble natures instict I think. I have been making sure to mix the kibble. First I noticed she threw up a bit within the first few day but it was like food now its been about a week and I think she has done it now ever since. Plus if u read my other post we got another cat and she is having an aweful time with it. Never seen her like this! Non stop growling. I bought her someFF tonight just to see if that would help but she seems to not have an appitite now and won't even eat the treats! I have been crying and so stressed. Maybe getting this other kitty was a bad idea! I don't want mittens to be saick the rest of her life! I don't think its just cinnamon upseting her becuase I changed her food last saturday and brought cinnamon home friday night

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 22 December, 2013
    What exactly, were you feeding her before, and for how long? What exactly, are you trying to change her over to? Did she start throwing up, before you were trying to change her over, or during the process? How are you doing the switch over? What treaties do you give her? Do you give her people food? Could she have gotten into Christmas decorations? Do you have plants or flowers? You have 2 seperate issues here, one Mittens is sick, the other is the new kitty, so her being sick, is not related, to the new kitty, and Mittens is reacting normally, to a new kitty in the house hold. Your issues are minor, and easily corrected, so take comfort in that, some got way worse issues, that might not be corrected. First we have to figure out, why, she got sick, I suspect, its food related. Mittens does need to go to the vet, first thing Monday morning. You need to ask for an x-ray, to see what is going on in there, a possible blockage, or just a reaction to the food and switchover. They may just find, she has internal upset, and put her on Metronidazole. In the meantime, you need to get her to eat, and most importantly, get water into her, so she doesn't get dehydrated. Give her 1/2 teaspoon baby food, chicken or turkey only, for her, use Beechnut, and mix with water, so its like a broth. If this has been going on for days, and if money is not a concern, you might want to take her to the ER, and get an x-ray and they will give her sub q fluids, which is most important right now, to get fluids into her. If she is dehydrated, which is common, when they won't eat, that can make her not feel well and make her not want to eat. In the meantime, keep the new kitty seperated from Mittens, she already doesn;t feel well, you don't want to stress her out anymore, kinda like, if you don't feel good, you don't want to deal with other people around you, especially people you don't like. Hope Mittens is feeling better soon, please keep us updated. :-h=;|:|
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 22 December, 2013
    I agree with everything Cowboy said. It probably is food related, but it is better to be certain at the vet. My cat Smitty, if he even heats ne bite of wet food with fish in it, he barfs - so it may be a sensitivity for Mittens. Right now, if her tummy feels bad, she won;t be hungry. Try what you fed before as it is familiar - warm it a bit to make it stinky - anything to get food down & stay. Even if you have to feed by hand, it is important. But you do need to get her to the vet.|:|
  • Mittens ZinoMittens Zino Member Posts: 74
    edited 22 December, 2013
    thanks, she has a fountain and she is drinking from that so i don't think she is dehydrated. Im going to see what I can get her to eat and if I cant I will take her to the animal hospital. any recommendations on what she might willingly want to eat. honestly she I s really not a big eater, she loves wet food initially eats for a few and walks away, hardly ever finishes a 3 oz can. she is extremely interested in human food until u let her have it and she doesn't want it. the only human food I have actually seen her eat was salmon and a little lunch meat (in tiny tiny pieces) and even that she only has a few bites. she is very small cat, ant be more then four pounds but he as been petite from the beginning, I think she was a runt. maybe ill see if my husband will pick up that kitty milk stuff? she has had some ice cream when let unattended. My husband was the one that was like (ask the girls on the fourms lol)
    edited 22 December, 2013
    update: now her throw up is very green or yellow. I bought her some pet grass to see if that would help I was so glad she was eating it but 5 minutes after she throws it up! im so stressed I don't know what to do, I have not seen her drink today yet though so im concerned about that but she was yesterday and Friday was that last time I saw her eat. I tried some lunch meat and she would bite it and bat it but she would mew and whine wile chewing it and if I touch on her stomach she would cry. I called the emergency animal hospital and he said as long as she is relatively active then to just take her first thing in the morning but now im concerned with her not drinking and green vomit.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 22 December, 2013
    You "CANNOT" give her any people foodies at all!! I cannot stress this enough, that, exactly, is what the prob is. No lunch meat, no ice cream no nothing. :n: There is so much processed stuff, in lunch meat, that is not good for kitties, the same with ice cream, read the label, look up what is in processed lunch meat. Kittens have very sensative little systems, and she is only 5 months old. Be glad to help, if, you want to ans my question, otherwise, best of luck at the vet and I hope she is feeling better soon. |:|
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 22 December, 2013
    I would take the cat to the vet ER ASAP regardless of what you were told earlier. Green vomit and a painful stomach is not good. Better to have the cat checked by a vet now than to take a "wait and see" approach and potentially have more serious symptoms appear. Many Human foods, especially processed stuff, is not good for cats at all. Some foods are even toxic, like grapes and garlic and chocolate. Raw meat is ok in small quantities if your cat will eat that. Raw meat on it's own is not a complete diet *unless* you follow one of the many raw recipies out there, like frankenprey or homemade. Try baby food that has NO garlic or onion in it. Beechnut meat in broth baby food is a good one. Warm it up a little and offer it. When your kitten is better, don't give in to her demands for people food no matter how pitiful her begging sounds. Your kitten has to learn that begging is a no-no. When you do give people food as a treat, only give it as a surprise treat or as a little extra on top of regular food, not because the ktten is begging. Safe foods to give are plain cooked chicken or turkey (like poached in water), raw meat, canned tuna or salmon (the kind in water NOT oil).
    edited 22 December, 2013
    upok so we took her to the animal emergency room. Her temp was normal, and her xray checked out so now we have to wait for the blood work. The good news? The doctor does not seem to think its as serious as we thought. he gave her a shot to stop the vomiting and some antibiotics to start tomorrow he say she was not dehydrated so that is great. we should get the blood work tomorrow morning. she has not eaten anything yet except cat grass. I left the food out but im gonna try again soon. he says its likely parasites. Just to clarify: we don't give any of our cats human food. she doesn't even like it. the ice cream she got onto the table as a small kitten and got a few licks before we got to her and the lunch meat I saw on some peoples profiles there cats like that as a treat so I tried it once and she didn't seem to care for it but took one or two bits. when we are eating she has to stick her face to see what it is but has not interest in eating it(except we have to watch ice cream). I only tried today because I was desperate to get her to eat. thanks for looking out though, many are not aware human food is not good for cat=; I really appreciate all the care and response!
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 December, 2013
    Hopefully, Mittens is on her way to feeling better. A thought ... just about every time a cat eats grass, it throws it back up. :?
    edited 23 December, 2013
    update: Got her blood work back and they only thing they said was that she was a little dehydrated. otherwise I believe he said gastric adenoma? not sure if that's correct but basically inflammation of the stomach, she said could happen if cats change there food around. last night I got mittens to east a little which was good not much though but she ate so that great and today she ate 3 treats, no food though :(. the doctor said if she is not eating by tomorrow bring her in. something I noticed though: when she was eating she would chew a few seconds and spit it out. she was. doing the same yesterday only it seemed she would cry a little then. do you think its maybe something related to her mouth?
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 24 December, 2013
    It's Stella. Yes, she could have a bad or painful tooth--she is at an age when they are still coming in, or she could have broken one. Vet should have looked in there, but sometimes unless you press each one you can't tell if there is pain. Delyte had this problem at the end of his life, because he had numerous bad teeth. He wanted to eat and it hurt. It's hard to believe that all of this is from switching from one healthy food to another. Are you sure she did not eat something that is stuck in there, or that irritated her gastrointestinal tract? Will she lick anything like hairball meds off your fingers? That can lubricate things and it could just be a hairball. She is young and small and doesn't deal with things as well as an adult. When Stella was sick and would not eat, the vet had us give her 1/4 of a regular Pepcid pill and it seemed to help. But she is more than twice the size of Mittens, so the little one might be too physically small for this dose of medicine. Poor little thing, she must be miserable. If pain medications help, it might be a tooth. Try her on the baby food as others have said. It won't hurt a bad tooth and it shouldn't upset a bad stomach. Plain cooked chicken and broth is good, although harder to eat with a bad tooth. We are all purring for her! She is so little to have illness, and on her first Christmas too. We are all purring up a storm for her. |:|
    edited 24 December, 2013
    Thanks I'm I have beem thinking this is a lot for a food change also. If she is not really eating tomorrow morning I'm gonna take her in. I can't tell if she actuuly ate or just licked the gravey from the canned food. I also got her eat a few treat. The vet seems to not be overly worried but she is so small! I was thinking about the cat milk stuff? The vet reccomended not messing with her food much though... Just to not she coughed up her first real hair ball I think thursday. The xray didn't show anything though
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 24 December, 2013
    KMR or other kitten milk replace would be ok to keep the cat hydrated and provide some nutrients. I wouldn't use CatSip or other milk-like treat because those have no vitamins or minerals. You can put canned food into a blender with some water and make soup. Your cat might be able to lick that up without too much trouble.
    edited 24 December, 2013
    Good idea with the kitten milk! she ate a little in the middle of the night and a tiny bit this morning so she is better, just I don't think she is eating enough. I bought something at petco to help with digestion, some homeopathic stuff. thought it was worth a try.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 26 December, 2013
    It's Stella. How is Mittens?
    edited 27 December, 2013
    Hey! Yes mittens seems to be all better! No more vomiting and she is actully eating more then ever, which is good I always worried she didn't eat enough! She actully seems so much more loving! And as far as her and cinnamon goes things have imporved but still some hissing and growling but very little hiding in there safe spots . I can't tell but I think they might be playing to, they chase eachother around and pounce of eachother in the blinds. Thanks so much for all your help! I'm so relived she is better!
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 December, 2013
    =;|:| Glad to hear Mittens is feeling better. We look forward to seeing Mittens on Catster -- in a good way -- she's a cutie!