Collars for Houdini Cats

Jessica WalkerJessica Walker camarilloMember Posts: 78
edited 29 December, 2013 in Cat Health
I have two sister cats that are approaching a year of age. One, Jazz, doesn't mind or mess with her collar while the other, Aspen, pops it off constantly. For the past year I have been putting on Aspen's quick-release collar every time I see her as she always pops it off. It's beyond infuriating. I was wondering if there were any exercises or techniques to get her to stop popping it off. Also whether it is time to try a regular (not a quick-release) collar. I need her to have her tags on her at all times as my idiotic family has no sense of responsibility and might accidentally leave a door/window open, which has happened before. How would you weigh the importance of having tags on your cat or ensuring that they don't hang themselves? Your help and advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 28 December, 2013
    Leroy only wears a regular buckle non-safety collar :? He can pull off the safety ones no matter how snug but still comfy they are on :? There's no way he can sneak outside anyways. Human lives in a building so if he gets out the door, he just runs up and down the hallway with Human trying to catch him :)) Have you tried Beastie Bands? Those collars have velcro instead of a typical safety buckle. Or you can look into the ones my friend Jake uses. It's basically like a necklace that can be easily pulled on and off. No buckles.
  • Lisa FLisa F Forest HillsMember Posts: 67
    edited 28 December, 2013
    Oooh, I think I'm going to look into the velcro collar for Violet, thanks for the link! Right now, I have a pop off safety collar for her that is still too big. But every time I try it on for size, she wiggles around so much trying to get it off that even once it fits her, I'm not sure how well she'll keep it on without popping it. We live in a building too, and she's strictly indoor, so her chances of getting away are slim, but I love her and want to be sure she has proper ID (she's getting fixed in February or March, and they'll do microchipping then while she's under the anesthesia). Edison had both - I used to do the pop off collar for him when he was little, but his last couple of collars were just regular small dog collars. He was always indoor too, but he never struggled around to get out of his collars either. I'd say if you have an irresponsible family, definitely get your kitty collared, and microchipped too if you can!
  • Lisa FLisa F Forest HillsMember Posts: 67
    edited 28 December, 2013
    Back again! I just ordered a Beastie Band collar for Violet! I got the black one with the pink hearts and crossbones! :)) It's perfect if you knew Violet, LOL! The sweet little pink hearts because she's such a love, and the little crossbones because she's got just a hint of a little devil in her, too!
    edited 28 December, 2013
    That's great =; Make sure to get the microchiiped registered. Just having it implanted is useless beause there is no contact information associated with the microchip :? The vet should give you the information on what company the microchip is for and how to register it. Home Again is one popular microchip company. The basic service for Home Again is free but you wouldn't know that from looking at the web site. The yearly paid membership is if you want all the extra services.
    edited 29 December, 2013
    I should add that there may be a one time registration fee to get the microchip registered with all of your contact information. The basic serice is usually free after that but it depends on the company.