Leaving a 12 week kitten overnight

Charlotte ThackerCharlotte Thacker Member Posts: 5
edited 30 December, 2013 in Cat Health
I adopted a kitten with my boyfriend 3 weeks ago. She's so lovely and gorgeous, we both adore her. On Christmas day we need to visit my boyfriend's family. We'd be gone for about 24 hours. I'm really worried about her, but there's no way I can get out of visiting his family. Any advice? She's only really been alone for about 8 hours before.

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 18 December, 2013
    No, don't leave your kitten alone :-O Can you ask a neighbor or friend to check in on the cat twice a day and make sure the kitten is ok? Kittens can get into all sorts of michief and trouble if they are left alone and are bored. If not, can you confine the kitten to one room with food and water and toys and a litter box? The bathroom is usually a good place and easy to clean if the kitten makes a mess. Make sure all household chemicals and medicines that you may keep in the bathroom are locked up in a closet. I'd even go as far as putting soap, shampoo, personal hygeine products and gadgets, etc in a closet too just to be safe. I wouldn't rely on an under the catbinet door or such place that doesn't have latching/locking doors. A really determined kitten can pry the door open. Close the bath tub drain and keep the toilet lid down. If there's no window in the bathroom, keep a night light on. Maybe even put a battery operated radio in there and play a local music or news station on a low volume so the kitten won't get too lonely. The bedroom might also be a suitable place but you do have the added worry about electrical cords that a kitten might chew on.
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 18 December, 2013
    You would be surprised at how much trouble a young kitten like yours (who is like a human toddler) can get into when left alone. Just this afternoon, my 6-YEAR-old cat was batting something around the floor, and I thought nothing of it. Much later, I discovered that he'd found a spool of sewing thread that I'd forgotten to put away, and that became his toy. The worrisome thing is that the thread unwound as he batted the spool. I don't know if he ate any, but I need to watch him. I've heard of cats strangling themselves on window-shade cords; electrocuting themselves by chewing on wires, and eating plants or nonedibles. Remember: kittens are just little kids, and, like little human kids, can find trouble without even looking for it. IMHO, you're taking a great risk in leaving her alone for that long. If you can't take her with you, the safest course of action is to board her.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 19 December, 2013
    It's Stella. Given the various things my person's cats got into while they were supervised, I worry about what your kitten could get into. No chance of taking her with you, or boarding her anywhere? Anyone who would take her in? At the very least get someone to look in on her and feed and play with her. We know how it is to have no resources, but sometimes you just can't do things. We are purring for you, let us all know how it comes out. |:|
  • Charlotte ThackerCharlotte Thacker Member Posts: 5
    edited 19 December, 2013
    I'd love to take her with me, but my boyfriend's mum would never let me, and his sister is terrified of cats. As it's Christmas day, none of our friends are able to pop in. I'm trying to weigh up the risk of staying at home with the distress of a kennel :(
    edited 19 December, 2013
    I'd love to take her with me, but my boyfriend's mum would never let me, and his sister is terrified of cats. As it's Christmas day, none of our friends are able to pop in. I'm trying to weigh up the risk of staying at home with the distress of a kennel :(
    edited 19 December, 2013
    edited 19 December, 2013
    Opps, sorry for the triple posts!
  • Nadia K- WattsNadia K- Watts WaterlooMember Posts: 1,340
    edited 19 December, 2013
    I think she would be more comfortably in her own home rather than being boarded. It's one thing if they're going to be boarded for a few days and be able to get used to it, but it's kind of a hassle for one night, in my opinion. When we have had to leave our gals alone for a night or two and they were young, we barricade them in our bedroom with food, water, and their litter box and we tried to have a friend stop by. Is there anyone who can stop by for you? It is Christmas, and I understand it might be difficult. If you can't get anyone to stop by, minimize the risk of her getting into something you don't want her to by confining her to one room, with food, water, toys and litter box and take anything out of the room that might be dangerous if she's left alone with it. Being alone for 24 hours isn't the worst thing in the world, as long as she is as safe as possible.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 19 December, 2013
    Hire a pet sitter for the day =; The pet sitter would just need to check in on the kitten twice a day, maybe do some playtime. You can Google for pet sitters in your area. Be sure to fully check references and qualifications before you hire anyone. Do you have a vet? The vet techs at the office may do pet sitting on the side. You can ask :)
    edited 19 December, 2013
    It's Stella. As upsetting as being boarded is, getting them used to it while they are young and flexible is a good idea. She will have to be boarded at the vet for at least one day when she is spayed. If you live in an area where there are not many pet sitters, you may have to board her again in the future, so she will have to face it sometime. And if she is unlucky, like our late fur sib Delyte, she may have to have surgery or treatment at the vet's and stay for days. Let's hope that last one never happens. But Delyte was able to get through it because he had been boarded several times when he was young. Purrs to you as you make a difficult decision. :-k
    edited 30 December, 2013
    It's Stella. How did Christmas work out for you? Purrs! :-h