cat sleeping on heating pad

EDITH SEELHOFFEDITH SEELHOFF Member Posts: 42
edited 4 January, 2014 in Cat Health
is it safe for baby to sleep on a heating pad her vomiting issue is a little better she doestnt do it as often the heating pad is always set on low shr started doing this a couple weeks ago I use it for my hip and she wants it all the time

Comments

• Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 20 December, 2013
    This is Delyte. I used to sleep on my person's heating pad, but we found out it was bad for kitties to be in the constant heat, even on low, all the time. The new heating pads cycle off after about 20 minutes and you have to manually turn them back on. That's what my person is using now, and her current much younger and healthier cats like to sleep on it, even though it cools off. I actually was burned by a heating pad at the cat hospital after I had surgery. The cover slipped off and the coil was resting on my shaved belly skin and it was ugly and painful. You can buy special heating pads for animals that are very low heat and have specially insulated cords and heavy duty coils so that animals can't chew through them. They are fairly expensive, though. What is recommended are things called purr pads, which hold the cat's own heat and are comfy, or those mylar covered things that reflect and enhance body heat. At the very least, if this is temporary, until your cat feels better, wrap the pad in a light towel to give added protection. Especially if this is an older cat--our skin is very thin and lacks oil so it burns easily. Giant purrs to you from the Bridge and here's hoping I don't see your kitty up here anytime soon! (^^
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 20 December, 2013
    What kind of heating pad do you have? The ones for Humans get too hot for a cat, even on low :-O Yes, a cat could move off the pad if it gets too hot but most won't :? Use only a pet safe heating pad or heated bed =; Human uses the microwaveable Snuggle Safe pads http://snugglesafe.co.uk/heatpad.htm You can buy it at most pet stores and various places online. Human puts the heated pad in between the folds of a fleece blankie to make sure it won't burn the cats. Drs Foster and Smith has a couple heated beds and pads and self warming pads :)
  • EDITH SEELHOFFEDITH SEELHOFF Member Posts: 42
    edited 4 January, 2014
    she does get off when shes too warm