Pancreatitis Side Effect or Getting Old?

Emma McLeanEmma McLean GlasgowMember Posts: 4
edited 14 January, 2014 in Cat Health
In the summer Princess, my Maine Coon, was hospitalised. It was probably one of the most frightening periods of my life. We were two days from kindly euthanising her when she began to finally respond to treatment and to eat again. Since then she's been on a prescription diet and she's recovered very well. She is as enthusiastic about her people as she was before becoming unwell and has been doing very well. She'd had a few upset stomachs which could be blamed on eating the wrong food but other than this she's been doing good. I became worried about her when I noticed that I was noticing her drinking. Normally Princess drinks like a ninja, you aren't ever really sure that she's had a drink but she seems happy enough so you assume she's done it. But now we're seeing her drinking more often, she will even ask to drink from glasses of water where beforehand a glass of water on the floor was safe from a cats tongue. When she goes to the litter box it's also quite obvious. The stink is awful and her poops are not as they usually would be. They don't appear oily like they did after pancreatitis but they aren't right. I do plan on taking Princess in for some tests. I'm concerned that her digestive tract isn't ticking away as it should and I'd rather see what's wrong now than wait for it to surprise us and mean emergency vet visits again. I just need some advice/support before we go in as I often find I'm not certain that we're doing the right thing to battle this quite erratic disease.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 18 December, 2013
    I'm sorry she's had pancreatitis. I'm not really sure what your questions are though. As far as the title of this thread, no. pancreatitis is not a side effect of getting old. it's a condition that is developed by young and old alike. Here is some information on my website about these conditions: Pancreatitis
  • Emma McLeanEmma McLean GlasgowMember Posts: 4
    edited 18 December, 2013
    Sorry, the hidden question was: could she be drinking more because she's had pancreatitis and I'm not doing enough to manage it or is it just because she's getting old.
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 December, 2013
    I don't know if having had pancreatitis could cause her to drink more, but it seems odd that if it did, it would take that long, from summer until now. I'd be concerned about an infection, hyperthyroidism, diabetes or kidney disease, any of which could cause a cat to drink more. There are, no doubt, other reasons a cat would drink more, too. With the litter box changes and the extra water consumption, I'd get her to the vet sooner rather than later.
  • sarah zourdoumissarah zourdoumis TorontoMember Posts: 12
    edited 14 January, 2014
    Drinking more can be an indication of chronic kidney failure, but it also could be due to any medications she is on or even the change in diet. My Tequila had pancreatitis. She was on an appetite stimulant and drank like a fish because of it. But she also had CKF (extremely well managed).