Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Why Do People Go To Breeders?

124»

Comments

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 7 December, 2010
    Yes, what I meant was that in my case, at least, it's not just about saving kitty lives, but about finding a companion animal (in my case, plural!). Of course, there is give and take, and I've been lucky with the cats I've "rescued," but I would not be happy with any cat, moggy or purebred, who had a totally feral nature. I don't need sloppily affectionate kitties, and all cats are aloof at least some of the time, but I do want a cat as a companion animal. Someone like Kaya Skye has infinite patience with the ferals she rescues, and I admire her greatly for that. I'm not quite so patient (although it does sound like her rescued kitties all end up being pretty friendly).
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 8 December, 2010
    It's funny because really most of my pets were not planned, I didn't decide I wanted a dog or cat and then go look for one to adopt. In most of the cases they found me, and adopted me. :)) That's probably why it was so difficult after I lost my two dogs (sorry to get OT here) and wanted to get a dog, I wasn't used to actively LOOKING for a dog and I found it difficult to choose, because I was used to them either just showing up (strays/feral) or someone calling me and asking if I could take in a dog/cat (usually friends or friends of friends...) I'm not sure why I didn't have the same trouble when looking for Roxy as I did when looking for a dog, maybe it was because the decision on Roxy was ultimately my brother's so the pressure wasn't on as much, not sure...
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 13 December, 2010
    i just kind of take a \"whatever state they\'re in, therein be content\" approach to cats. at least, as long as they\'re not in distress or ill. i think i have cats so i can meet their needs more so than so they can meet mine. which meets a need to be needed, perhaps...but my payoff is their health and safety and happiness. the friendship and affection? you can\'t expect that. it\'s lagniappe. sweet when it comes, but not a return on an investment by any means. i think i might have been a priestess in a temple of Bast in a previous life...:^:
  • Jane JohnstonJane Johnston NMMember Posts: 2,957
    edited 19 December, 2010
    To me the cat as a companion is most important. I admire all you fosterers and so forth, but personally I would never do it. (Though I have been close to fostering an odd Corgi here and there. It has not been recently.) It is very honestly for me. I am happy to share my home with three great buddies. I do not want a really aloof cat. Strangely I think my dog is the most aloof of all my critters. :) I have a purebred rescue Corgi (dog), a rescue cat and a purebred Savannah (cat). --des
  • edited 6 January, 2011
    I have a feral rescue and two shelter rescue cats. My shelter cats have grooming issues and one bites a lot this is all probably related to being separated from Momma too early. Those are issues you avoid with purebreds, granted it's a good breeder but that's not the point. I can't believe there's been 10 pages of excellent cat owners, the best of the best from the advice ive seen them give... over a half cocked question like that. I'm pretty ruffled! My next cat will hopefully be a purebred Scottish Fold (if I can find a SH foldie ear kitten!) and do you know why? I like the way they look like fuzzy owls. There's yer answer. Fuzzy owls. Oh and gosh Maru the cat is my favorite Internet cat ever.
    edited 6 January, 2011
    Oh, I do SO want a longhaired Scottish Fold, white with a dash of red...and I know a Scottish Fold breeder that I see at cat shows...no, no, I have too many cats as is, I must control myself. And yes, that's exactly why I want one. They look like fuzzy owls.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 6 January, 2011
    ALL cats can look like owls, in the right pose...val (last poster, Lowell\'s human) your Lola/Leila often looks like an owl. Maine Coons have a particular talent for owlishness, because of the feathery fur...my runaway darling Rhymon (sigh...:(( ) could do a KILLER owl impression. And apropos of nothing...except that Val alluded to my \"patience\" with ferals...i do get cranky. (i\'m \'kaya skye\'...usually known as that, as i post most often as my oldest) But I\'m posting as Jadyn so y\'all can take a look-see at her motto. If i had gotten paid for holding that kitten as much as she demanded to be held when she was tiny, I would have earned between ten and twenty hours of overtime a week. thus, Jadyn\'s motto. She nearly drove me mad...:))
    edited 7 January, 2011
    Now that Chibi's three and has had a litter, she's nice and plump and getting shaggier and shaggier. SHE really looks like an owl now. Lowell's "human"--if you can call me human...I may have some reptilian blood... :))
  • Ankara KedisiAnkara Kedisi IzmirMember Posts: 1
    edited 18 February, 2013
    Hello, I am a member of The Angora Cat Association, Ankara (Turkey). I saw some of members told something about The Turkish Angoras. One of you noticed well that Ankara Zoo cats look quite different from the Angoras you see in cat shows. Well, it's truth, The Turkish Angora in USA and Europe is different but not due to selective breeding. ın creating The Turkish Angora in USA unknown cats (includes Siamese) were used in early development of the breed. Today Angora in Turkey and Angora in USA are two different breeds. You still can see many Turkish Angoras living in the streets of Turkey. They are not so rare like someone wants you to think! For more information I would recommend to check out this website: http://www.turkishangoracat.org/Default.aspx Our Association is independent organization not affiliated with cat fancy or any particular individuals. Our research aims to improve lives of stray Angoras in Turkey and challenge various lies and misconceptions. Anybody can contribute for our project. Kind Regards from Turkey.
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 February, 2013
    My new son-in-law is very allergic to cats and can't stay with us long without being in such agony. My daughter loves cats so I went with a kitten who was hypoallergic. Siberians are such a breed plus they are smart and large cats. I have had all cats who were saved but this time I wanted one that was home bred. She does well with everyone and has no health issues. My first kitten, Ben, was a Maine Coon mix who was the runt of the litter at the pound. I loved him and he was with us for sixteen years but there were health issues. He was malnourished, had a hyperthyroid, diabetes, FUS, and finally cancer. I paid quite a bit for his health and loved him dearly. Natasha was our second one. She was in good health but she was on the timid side and didn't like other cats much. She was affectionate with us but no cat. As for Alex, I am glad to say that he was our first cat from the pound who is in good health and loves everyone. He was also fostered which helped with his nature. Natasha was a stray who lost her kittens at the pound. When she came home to us, she weighed just three and half pounds. I nursed her back to health......Juliette is our first kitten from a breeder. I got to see her parents and her home. She is loving and gives Alex loving too. She is well socialized. Because of my new son-in-law, I am glad that we have her. If we ever need care for her, my daughter and her husband are our back up care takers......I hope that answers your question. Everyone has a different answer. They may love the breed and want good health background. I have done both and glad that we met all of them. I will not be showing Juliette even though she is a beautiful golden Siberian. I don't need others to tell me that she is beautiful...I know....
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 22 February, 2013
    Some people get certin breeds because people with allergies can tolerate some breeds more. I currently live with someone who is fine with my oriental shorthair mixes but will not be able to breath if i brought home a DSH or dlh every breeder on earth could stop breeding purebreada and there would still be overpopulation. why? tons of people dont care and dont spay and neuter. unplanned litters and strays make up the vast majority of shelter cats. this includes backyard breeders who claim to have purebreds who arnt responsible breeder. i dont agree with some of the breeds of cats being bred today, but i am glad for some or else i would not be able to have cats at all. i happend to get mine at the shelter but if i couldnt find one to adopt i would have to turn to a good breeder.
  • Stephanie ParenteStephanie Parente Member Posts: 9
    edited 8 September, 2013
    What Lowell said. The world wide pet overpopulation problem is not because of breeders. It is because of people who buy dogs and cats and don't look as it as a life long commitment. I have a chinook dog (a rare breed). I may get another one in the future. Since there aren't many chinooks available for adoption, I will go to a reputable breeder. Many breeders will actually encourage you to rescue a pet instead of just having you hand over the money and be on your merry way.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 10 September, 2013
    All kitties born here come with a big statement on the contract that says if the person can't keep for whatever reason we will take the kitten back, help rehome and if it is young enough to get cashfor the ex-owner gets that less expenses--but no cats have come back here yet. One of Meowma's friewnds got one back at age 13 because the cat was sick--yes that kitty got rehabbed and is still at the breeder's home. AND no one leaves here un-altered to pet homes. That's included in the price. Along with health guarantee, microchip, etc etc... And, as one of our Ocicat friends points out, feral/outdoor kitties naturally select for ones that will defend themselves readily, are skittish enough to run or hide in a hurry etc, so you have to overcome those traits when socializing a kitten, and still never know....our breeding catsare chosen to be sweet, gentle, friendly, and very social as well as for health and,. ahem, good looks (not THE first priority but it doesn't hurt). some people don't want to gamble or have the new companion be a project. Many, in fact most of our kitten people have already had a Burmese or Bombay, or know someone who does, and they want our personality.
  • Michelle BrundrettMichelle Brundrett Grand PrairieMember Posts: 405
    edited 11 September, 2013
    Interesting that I came across this forum, when I just had this conversation with my roommate's 7 year old son yesterday morning on the way to school. He was telling me he wanted to help rescue cats just like his mom does. He also said he wants to breed cats, but didn't know what kind. My question to him was: Why when there are so many cats that already need homes? (Just out of curiosity - I wouldn't try to sway him one way or the other) His response was that a lot of people rescue, but there are a lot of people that would still like a certain breed due to certain traits and characteristics they have. Also that he would be a "good breeder and make sure his cats were all tested and had the right vaccines so they wouldn't get sick." Just thought that was interesting coming from a 7 yr old. Tia is from the SPCA, and she's my pride and joy. I couldn't have asked for a better cat. However, I believe so far I've been lucky with her and not knowing what the medical history of her mom and/or dad. So far, the only health issue I've had with her is feline conjunctivitis 3x...other than she's the picture of health. I honestly think it takes a special kind of person to take on a rescue, whether they are purebred or mixed. You don't know the situation they were born into, the health of the parents, brothers and/or sisters, if they were abused/neglected at all, etc. And having 2 rescued pets myself (and going through a lot of finances dealing with health issues that Angel has) I can completely understand why people would go to a reputable breeder! That way you at least have some idea of any health issues, you can see how the breeder handles their cats, you can ask lots of questions (including about testing, vaccinations, anything you want to ask) and see how the mother and father are. I myself am looking into getting a Maine Coon, preferably from a breeder. The only way to improve the breeds of cats (and dogs) that are around today is by having reputable breeders that know what they are doing and what they are dealing with.
    edited 14 September, 2013
    Another thing, Tia... lots of breeders like Meowma have a clause in the contract that asks for the cat to be returned if anything ever happens so that the family can't keep the cat, and we will help. She also says tell you future cat breeder that while you want a MC, he should get either a Bombay or Burmese who are the lovingest, bestest, and sweetest kitties ever--and we don't need a lot of brushing unless we are show cats!
  • Christine LaverieChristine Laverie Member Posts: 305
    edited 15 September, 2013
    Well, people sometimes arent willing to take stray cats in, for many reasons. Sometimes stray cats have diseases, and sometimes the cats are dirty. But I agree, why not save a little life, rather than buy a already taken care of cat? Its sick. I have a connection, i am taking in a stray cat, that got kicked out of his home. He has fleas, at least i think he does....But i dont mind. Yes i do have another cat, but he has fleas already because he got outside for a night and who knows what happened. And he is very skinny, I have been feeding him and loving him for a year, before i finally realized he had no home. So I am going to get him fixed and bring him in. I know what you mean, some people just dont care. But i tell you, i am definitely NOT one of those people. I do care, i would give my life to save an animal.
    Ummmm....we CARE. Meowma has 'rescued' many,many cats, and donates time and money to actually going and helping (hands on) spay and neuter kitties, as do her fellow breeder friends. She is not a wealthy woman but has spent thousands of dollars rehabbing the rescues she has had. Our cat clubs GIVE space to rescue groups to people who go to shows specifically to see cats--not dogs or other animals, and many rescue kitties get homes that way. CFA donates TONS of money to health research. Again--not everyone wants an animal that might turn out to be skittish, bad tempered, in poor health etc. and gamble on the possibility of having to deal with the heartbreak or disappointment that comes if the new cat turns out not being a good companion or even much of a pet, or at worse has health problems that force the owner to choose between going broke, euthanizing, or taking them bAck to the shelter. . That does not mean people who want a purebred do not care. Most of the kittens that leave here go to homes with other cats, many rescue or shelter kitties. It just happens that the new family would like to have a Burmese. We are sick of the demonizing of breeders and the idea that it is taking a home away from a feral/homeless/shelter cat if anyone gets a purebred and the assumption that cat breeders are 'getting rich', 'are evil', etc.
  • Catherine BogartCatherine Bogart San JoseMember Posts: 767
    I don't like the implication that people who seek out a breeder cat don't care. LOTS of caring, loving pet owners have well-bred animals. As long as someone loves and cares for their kitties, I don't care if the went the rescue route or the breeder route. I for one am done gambling with dogs...I've dealt with so many issues of health and temperament in the dogs I've adopted...I'm experienced enough to handle these problems, but I don't want to. For my next dog I'm seeking out an excellent breeder who will have a dog for me who will most likely fit in beautifully.
  • Catherine BogartCatherine Bogart San JoseMember Posts: 767
    I forgot to add... A few weeks ago, I adopted a new cat from rescue, he was four years old. As often happens, I let him into my heart and fell in love with him immediately! A few days later, I found out that he has a heart murmur, severe stomatitis, and renal failure....all three of which are most likely genetic. After the crushing expense and heartbreak of that week, I did NOT want to gamble my heart on another cat with an unknown background. I DID, and I love the cat I wound up adopting, but I can definitely understand someone wanting to protect themselves from such a terrible experience by finding a kitty with a health guarantee and a solid genetic background.
  • Laurel KowalskiLaurel Kowalski Gateway to the WestMember Posts: 486
    edited 17 September, 2013
    We looked for Siamese kitten in the newspaper to pair with aging Siamese cats (not purebreds). This back in the day when you did that. The internet was not all what it is now. No one had Siamese kittens (not purebreds) for half a year. Got a book on different cat breeds. Saw an ad in paper for cat show. Came home from the show with a Birman that I saw in the book. Fell in love with the breed. Got one more Birman from a cat show. Time to get more cats a decade later. Now internet up and going. Searched Petfinder for Birmans. Fours years passed, no real Birmans within 500 miles. We lost a cat, Honey. Brownie was all alone in the house. He cried for a playmate. Asked sister if we could have her younger Himlayan rescue cat, Sable. Brought her home to just meet Brownie. Hate is not a strong enough of a word to describe it. Took Sable and Brownie back to my sister's house. Brownie wanted her older female Birman cat for his playmate. So I had look for a breeder and fast. He cried for 6 weeks until we got Cookie. Cookie was 3 years old when we got her. Then we got Cookie's sister, Candie, a year later from the same breeder for free. The simple fact is I LOVE the Birman breed. There is something about them. Most purebred owner will tell you they love the breed.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 18 September, 2013
    After having gotten one cat from a breeder (Roxy the Maine Coon) although it was not actually my choice, I would definitely get another. Of course we will always have rescues too-- we have a majority of rescues here, and always have. Currently all our cats except Roxy were ferals I rescued as kittens. In fact, when we were waiting for Roxy to come home from the breeder, I found a ~6 week old feral kitten-- that was Church. We weren't planning to have two kittens but he was a surprise rescue. He and Roxy ended up growing up together and are best friends.
  • Jill NyquistJill Nyquist under cat pileMember Posts: 3
    edited 9 October, 2013
    Most of my cats are ones I found and there are nine. The last one is bought from a pet store. But I don't plan on getting anymore. He is my last. Jill.
  • kendra wisonkendra wison Member Posts: 21
    edited 19 March, 2014
    All of my kitties have been rescues. I know that cats that have been breed may be prettier to some, but in my opinion all of my rescues are precious to me and they don't need to be the best of the best. They already are in my eyes.
  • Patti DevriesPatti Devries Curled on a warm robeMember Posts: 1,374
    edited 23 March, 2014
    I suppose some people just want what they want. I'll spend quite a bit on a good fragrance but think it's silly to own a purse that costs a couple thousand. Everybody is different. My Mom had a purebred Blue point Siamese. She didn't show Juliet but that cat lived with all the creature comforts into old age. Beautiful cat I'll admit. Then there was a friend enchanted by Ragdolls. They finally got two from a breeder. They still have them and love them dearly, and paid dearly for them...but they are also on their 3rd couch. These lovely kits use the couch as a litterbox. My cats have always been alley cats of one sort or another. Both dogs from high kill shelters. I personally feel better spending money on a bottle of Chanel and giving homes to critters who need me, not from breeders. But to each their own...another thing to bear in mind, especially with cats. If you go to a big shelter cat room you can usually find cats and kittens that look pure breed even if they have no papers. Something to consider if you don't plan to show or breed them anyway.
  • Heather ArningHeather Arning Member Posts: 1
    edited 27 March, 2014
    I don't have a cat yet but I'm looking to get one. Why wouldn't I go to a breeder? It seems practical, theres one near my house
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 March, 2014
    My new son-in-law is allergic to cats so I went looking for a Siberian because I heard that they were hypoallergic....I never knew that my older cat would take to her as much as he has so he grooms her every day. Siberians are a natural breed like Maine Coons and very smart. She is my first cat from a breeder. My other cats were all rescues and were loved so much. Going to a breeder is a choice and individual so please don't make judgemental evaluations on those who go to them. They love cats as much everyone else does. One of my first cats was a Maine Coon mix and he was a special cat. I love big cats and he was one. He was born at a no kill shelter and a runt of the litter. Every cat is wonderful no matter where they come from......just go with flow and do what you like to do....thank for going to shelters and breeders and keeping those special cats happy and loved...