Cat with hypertrophic myopathy

Sandra vargasSandra vargas Member Posts: 1
edited 2 January, 2015 in Cat Health
My 4 year old kitty was diagnosed with hypertrophic myopathy back in August when he went into cardiac failure. They managed to save him and gave me pills to give him twice per day. I followed the doctor's order and he seemed to be ok for a little while. This kitty is king of crazies and as soon as he started to feel ok he tried to keep being him ( jump walls, chase anything that moved). Unfortunately this got him sick again and had to take him back to the hospital. The doctor said the illness is advancing and told me to increase the pills to three times per day After this the kitty was miserable. The pills made him nauseous and dizzy so he keep hiding in the closet. This kept going for over a week and I thought this was no way to live. I decided to cut back the medication and give it to him in the schedule of another medication she gave me which was more spaced. After a day kitty started to feel better and started eating again. I have been doing this for the past month and kitty has been doing great until last night when I noticed his breathing is starting to get labored again. He is still doing well, irritating my older cat, eating and being the most loving kitty ever so Im not sure what to do. The doctor told me that if I brought him back they would either put him in medication that was strong and may make him sicker or would put him down. I love my kitty and though I would miss him I don't want to make him go through more sickness. I just don't know what I could do to help him breathe better or what else I could do. I began increasing the meds again to see if that will help the breathing. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 20 November, 2014
    I just saw this now - I haven't been around too much lately. I hope that your kitty is doing ok. Tig has this, and takes atenolol 2 times a day, and is doing well. Not sure what med your kitty is on, but if it is making him not feel good, the vet should be able to prescribe something different to try. The labored breathing can be fluid, so it is important to keep contact with your vet. If you are not getting the support from them you need, then definitely try a different one. I question everything with Tig, and the vet will double check with his cardiologist if I ask her to. It is an awful disease, but can be managed. Some kitties do very well, and sadly others do not, but there is a ton of research going on now, to hopefully treat this better. Take care sweet kitty & family. |:|:-h
  • Aleasha CasarettoAleasha Casaretto ColleyvilleMember Posts: 512
    edited 2 January, 2015
    Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is the most common cause of sudden death in indoor cats. The walls of the ventricles are thickened. The muscle fibers are actually replaced by scar tissue. That is what makes the heart weak. Early signs of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy are so vague that it’s almost impossible to diagnose early on. The only real sign is an increased heart rate. Cats often show decreased appetite, too. They will also lose their “pep”. You may also be able to hear a murmur in the cat’s heart. A lot of times the first sign of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is sudden death. Cats rarely cough from cardiovascular disease. A chronic cough in cats is usually caused by respiratory illness. When the left ventricle starts to lose function, cats will often experience pulmonary edema. Clots in the heart’s arteries may form. Chest x-ray is the best way to diagnose Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. This is usually followed up by an echocardiogram. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy affects cats between the ages of 1 and 5. However, it has been found in kittens as young as 12-weeks and in cats as old as 10-years.