I have a beautiful orange cat who over the past few months has lost the hair on the bridge of his nose. He's seven, so at first I attributed the gradual thinning to age. But the other day I came home and noticed how dramatically different he looked and became concerned. The patch is as big as the end of his nose and quite dark, perhaps due to wetness.
I googled and found a post elsewhere online with the same problem. That case turned out to be ringworm, and indicated that diagnosis was just a matter of taking a small scraping from the nose and doing a culture. I was hopeful that a quick trip would clear things up.
My vet, however, simply professed ignorance and prepared to send us packing. When I inquired about diagnostic tests she said the only option was a biopsy, requiring "light" sedation.
My cat had to do an overnight stay at an emergency clinic some years ago for a separate issue, and now the vet sends him straight into manic anxiety, scrabbling and and trembling neurotically.
He is now scheduled for a full battery of tests to rule out anything serious, but I'm wondering if it's worth the stress. He groomed himself for HOURS when we got home until every inch of him that he could reach was drenched. I've never seen this kind of behavior in him and I'm concerned that subjecting him to high-stress situations may be cultivating a personality disorder.
The vet caught him licking his nose three times during the visit. I thought that nose licking was natural in cats, but she expressed otherwise. I'm conflicted on the right thing to do here. Has anyone had similar experience?