Update and Clarify Community Standards and Add a Report Sadistic Animal Abuse Option to Keep Faceboo

Aleasha CasarettoAleasha Casaretto ColleyvilleMember Posts: 512
edited 25 February, 2015 in Laws & Legislation
Animal abuse is not a joke, which is something I am positive anyone who has a pet, or a heart, can agree with. Animals are thinking and feeling creatures and under no circumstance deserve to be subjected to torture of any kind. Recently my Facebook news feed has been flooded with images of cats being set on fire, dogs being hung by tiny strings, and what might be even worse, depictions of human beings deriving actual pleasure from committing these acts or from viewing the accompanying material. When I reported these pages or images, I was told by Facebook that the material "doesn't violate our community standards". This statement is, I believe, false - under the section Graphic Content, Facebook states, "However, graphic images shared for sadistic effect or to celebrate or glorify violence have no place on our site". While I understand Facebook's point of view in including graphic content for the sake of promoting awareness, they are failing to remove the sadistic material they claim has no place on their site. What we are asking is that Facebook clarifies their terms to really separate these two types of images of abuse, and that they work hard to remove the sadistic material and those who produce and support the material from the social network. To do this we ask that Facebook adds an option to report animal abuse or images of animal abuse that are specifically sadistic in nature, and that they investigate each report fully, looking not just at the reported images and videos themselves, but along with the text and Facebook pages that accompany the material. https://www.change.org/p/mark-zuckerberg-update-and-clarify-community-standards-and-add-a-report-sadistic-animal-abuse-option-to-keep-facebook-free-of-sadistic-images-and-videos-of-animal-abuse

Comments

• Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 25 February, 2015
    I am not on FB, but that is horrible! They are allowing postings of people BREAKING THE LAW. If someone can get arrested for posting about a theft or a break in etc - then these people should be too. AS far as I know animal abuse is illegal everywhere..... Sadly that is part of why I am not on FB. I miss not seeing what my family & friends are doing, but the other stuff is too much for me. I hope that it can get passed! =; KEEP FIGHTING!