(This is a repost from the Health forum, since I am a senior kitty as well!)
Hello all, I'm somewhere between 12 and 14 years old (we think about 13) and I am already on a twice-daily regimen of phenobarbital for my seizures. To give some history: I showed up as a maybe 9-15month old after a blizzard with a broken jaw, more than a decade ago now, and started having seizures not long after. Luckily, my family fed me nutrient paste and water through an eyedropper until my jaw healed. I have been on phenobarbital ever since then.
The vet has always marveled at how, aside from the seizures, my health has been very good. I did have to have a few rotten teeth removed years ago, likely related to whatever broke my jaw before I followed the family home to their doorstep. But recently something has cropped up.
A family member went to pick me up to help me get on the bed, since I get arthritis sometimes and need help jumping up on the high adjustable bed.
She noticed a hard lump on my left thigh, close to my butt. She took me to the vet as soon as she had the time.
A biopsy of the lump was done, and while the vet only found fluid free of a large amount of white blood cells, the vet thinks it could be fibrosarcoma.
It could also be benign, they are not sure. What they do know, though, is that this lump has tendrils branching out, and that is moving them to recommend surgery in the next week. A "sooner than later" approach.
The surgery would be about $600, not counting any followup costs, and while the family feels it is imperative to do this surgery sooner than later, they are concerned. The lump is close to my butt, on the top of my left thigh, very near my tail - they are worried I will get the stitches infected from using the bathroom. (I am known to scoot on the carpet if I am having trouble pooing - another concern.)
They are also worried that the anesthesia could trigger a seizure on the operating table, or that it could otherwise alter my already-delicate brain chemistry (this was voiced by the vet.) They also know that, due to my age, I could simply not live through the surgery.
What the family has decided, though, is if they do the surgery and the lump grows back, or gets worse in some way... they will let me go. They do not want to drag out the illness with surgery after surgery, especially with my anesthesia risks.
They want to make sure that surgery really is the right option before going through with it, since I am not showing signs of pain. I sit right on the lump without any noticeable signs of irritation, and I didn't flinch at all when the vets were prodding it. I still drink out of the toilet and I still steal Bandit's food when she's not in the room. But the family doesn't want to leave this lump go if it is likely to grow and spread quickly. They are just not sure what decision to make.