Sick 6-week old kitten...need reassurance

Susan McClureSusan McClure Member Posts: 36
edited 27 April, 2015 in Kitten Corner
Hi all, I have a 6-week old kitten that we have been caring for since about 3-4 weeks old. The mother cat was abandoned in our neighborhood by her owners while she was pregnant and she had the kittens under our shed. She came to the house every day to be fed, but then one day she stopped showing up. We thought she had moved the kittens, but then the next day they came out from under the shed meowing like they were starving (which they probably were). We haven't seen the mother cat in several weeks, and we did the best we could for the two kittens...anyway, we lost one. The other one seemed to be doing really well, eating and active, but then one morning she was really lethargic and had blood in her stool. I took her to the vet and the said she had low blood sugar and was chilled, and they gave us some special food to give her. That was two days ago. We feed her the vet food every 2-3 hours during the day and keep a heated rice sock in her bed. She seems to be some better, but I have a couple questions: --She still seems lethargic in the mornings. I'm assuming this is because her blood sugar drops again over night. During the day I feed her every 2-3 hours and she becomes more active. Do I need to get up in the night to feed her? Will she get past this or could this be a chronic issue? --There is still blood in her stool. Maybe this is from stress. I called the vet again and they said to just keep doing what I'm doing, but I am worried. I trust our vet--we have been with this office for years for our other animals and they have always been great. But I'm just worried, and I guess I'm looking for reassurance that we are doing everything we can. Appreciate good thoughts sent our way

Comments

• Greg StawinogaGreg Stawinoga So. HollandMember Posts: 1,000
    edited 24 April, 2015
    the only thing we can suggest is get a second opinion from a different vet and go from there. we did that one time and it was a good thing we did. we hope the kitten gets better.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 25 April, 2015
    There are others here with more kitten experience than I have but I would suggest at least one middle of the night feeding. I know when you're bottle feeding it has to be done every two hours day and night. At his age I would have thought he'd be able to go through the night without a feeding but if he's sick he may need extra help. Good luck!
  • Susan McClureSusan McClure Member Posts: 36
    edited 27 April, 2015
    Well, we had another rough morning today. She had been doing really well and active for the last few days, and then this morning she was limp and lethargic again and wouldn't eat. I had to give her food and water with a medicine dropper syringe. I think you may be right about the middle of the night feeding...although I wish I knew why sometimes she is fine and other times not. I was planning to take her for first shots and dewormer this week, so I guess that'll be a good time to see if the vet has anything else to suggest.