Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Human Foods are Toxic To Cats

clive williamsclive williams Member Posts: 4
edited 20 May, 2015 in Food & Nutrition
Many human foods are harmful to cats. That is why it is not wise to give your cats food from the table. To keep your cat safe do not give people food as a treat. Buy treats made just for cats. Did you know onions and raw potatoes can be harmful to cats. Learn what other food your cat should never eat. http://petfeed.weebly.com/cats/human-foods-are-toxic-to-cats

Comments

• Aleasha CasarettoAleasha Casaretto ColleyvilleMember Posts: 512
    edited 18 May, 2015
    It really depends on the food. I used to always give Chloe food from my plate. She loves chicken, russet potatoes, green peas, yellow peas, chicken fat, Bamberg potatoes, scrambled eggs and chicken gristle. Ming used to love to eat off my plate, too (salmon, Adirondack Blue Potatoes, green peas, yellow peas, chicken fat, Adirondack Red Potatoes, scrambled eggs, chicken). Never give a cat alcohol, chocolate, coffee, dairy products, raw meat, grapes, onions or tuna. Popsicle actually shared dinner with me last night (chicken, bread, corn, pork fat, green peas, scrambled eggs and even stole and devoured one of my fiber capsules after dinner). Reza also loves to share food with me (chicken, rice, corn, bread, fiber shakes, dinner rolls, chicken livers). Some foods are actually healthy to feed to cats. A piece of cooked chicken, a chunk of bread, some corn kernels, pork fat trimmings, fiber shakes (cellulose powder and water), peas and scrambled eggs are all considered healthy treats. Chloe's Mom Licensed Veterinary Technician :^:
  • Sara BadaraccoSara Badaracco Member Posts: 47
    edited 20 May, 2015
    My two cats love crazy snacks. They will steal the black olives off my pizza if I don't put some in their treat bowls. I can't eat Triscuits without sharing, either. And if I have an open package of beef jerky, I have to keep it on my person unless I want Weasley diving in headfirst. lol :) Last night I was making sauerkraut with red cabbage. They started begging, so I tossed a piece on the floor thinking they would sniff it and run away. Weasley wasn't too interested. But Lily came and gobbled it up, and started crying for more. Apparently shredded cabbage is the new chicken. Of course I'm aware of the infamous list and keep them away from any known kitty toxins.