Pooping outside the litter box

MotherOfTheFattestCatMotherOfTheFattestCat BeavercreekMember Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited 9 September, 2015 in Behavior & Training
Pixie seems to have developed a liking for defecating on the carpet right in front of the litter box. She urinates inside the box, and she doesn't leave droppings anywhere else in the house, but she rarely poops where she's supposed to. What could be causing this, and how can I fix it?

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 7 September, 2015
    Here's the best article I've found for all the reasons cats don't use the box and how to handle it: http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox Meanwhile, you can use puppy pads in front of the box to make things easier until you figure it out.
  • MotherOfTheFattestCatMotherOfTheFattestCat BeavercreekMember Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited 7 September, 2015
    Thanks!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 September, 2015
    You definitely want to get her checked by the vet to rule out any health issue that might be causing it. Assuming there's no health problem, though, I'm wondering if maybe she just needs a bigger litter box? Also, how many boxes does she have? Some cats prefer to pee in one box and defecate in a different one. Just throwing a few ideas out. |^| Good luck! Keep us posted! |:|
  • kaylahudsonkaylahudson Member Posts: 6
    I agree that is the first thing that came into mind. The cat mightn’t need a larger litter box or you may not be cleaning it enough. We wash out the entire litter box every week and the litter gets thrown out daily.