New Puppy = Very Angry Cats

Courtney McLeodCourtney McLeod Member Posts: 26
edited 25 February, 2016 in Behavior & Training
My family and I got a new puppy ( a shih tau) in November. Since Ollie's (our puppy) arrival we have been dealing with two very angry cats. Charlie, his ears go right back as soon as Ollie is near, he hisses and swats at the puppy. More often then not he will hide once he see's the puppy coming. Rory growls,hisses, swats, chases the puppy and generally sounds really really angry any time the puppy is anywhere near her. She often will go after the puppy if he is anywhere near her. The puppy can just walk by and she starts this awful growl. We've had the puppy since November and neither cat is any closer to accepting him. We have had a dog before, and both cats were perfectly fine with her. But she was an older dog and was here before either cat. Before she passed, Rory and Chloe (our dog that has since passed) used to play together and clean one another. Does anyone have any solutions or ideas on how we can get the cats and dog to live in the same house peacefully?

Comments

• SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 February, 2016
    I really don't have an answer for you. I haven't had any problems introducing my cat(s) to a puppy. My only suggestion is to keep your puppy away from your cats and play with him until the cats finally accept him in the house. If your cats become aggressive, move them away from the pup.
  • Brittany SilvernailBrittany Silvernail LaytonMember Posts: 44
    edited 25 February, 2016
    I'm in a similar situation. My cats aren't angry but one hides from the puppy and the other is trying to get used to it. I don't know if this will help but here's what I suggest, if you haven't tried this already. Maybe try having the puppy's scent on your hands/clothing or even a toy and let the cat sniff it and keep doing that on a daily basis and maybe even let your puppy sniff something of the cats and see if that helps. And if that doesn't work, have a spray bottle of water ready and every time they hiss or get vicious spray them with water and if you have to, say "No! Be nice!" It may seems harsh but it sounds like they need to be taught that it's NOT okay to be mean. That's just me though. And I believe that pets understand us more than we know. And you can talk to them and be like, "Hey, this is your new sister. You be nice and she will be nice." :)) it may sound crazy but it might work. Good Luck!! =;
  • kaylahudsonkaylahudson Member Posts: 6
    I hope this helps! 

Introducing a puppy to your cat

Bringing a new puppy home is an exciting event for humans, but for cats it can seem as if their world has just been torn apart. Even if your cat has been used to living with a dog, the new puppy is nothing like their old, established friend, and can seriously disrupt the household order! Here are some tips on introducing your puppy and cat.

Most cats are highly territorial, and routine-oriented. The inner sanctum of their home is an important part of their security, and feeling that it has been ‘invaded’ in any way can be enough to trigger off a whole gamut of stress-related behaviours – including spraying urine on your furniture, leaving deposits in your shoes, or the dog’s bed, or – at worst – leaving home altogether.

introducing a puppy to a catPreparing your home for the arrival of a new puppy is very important, but even more so if you have a cat (or cats) and want to make the arrival as calm and harmonious as possible. Simply bringing your puppy home, popping him on the floor, and allowing him to chase (or be chased!) across the carpet is not the best first introduction! Indeed, in one fell swoop it can create anxiety and a mistrust that can last for life.

Scent to save

Introducing a new puppy to an established cat really requires you to think about the world from your cat’s point of view. Cats see the world in very different ways to humans – and to dogs! While our world is full of vision and colour, cats tend to gain much of their information from scent, which is why even a new piece of furniture in your home can be enough to upset a sensitive feline disposition! For this reason, accustoming your cat to the smell of your new dog, long before he or she even comes home, can be ideal. This can be done by taking a cloth with you when you visit your new puppy at the breeder’s and stroking the puppy with it. You can then take this home and wipe it on your furniture, door frames, even your own hands, before stroking your cat. This way the smell of the new puppy will be transferred to all these areas and will be familiar to your cat before she ever lays eyes on the newcomer. Perhaps this is the cat version of seeing photographs of someone before you meet them – giving a much-needed sense of recognition in advance.

Once your pup is home, spend lots of time stroking your cat before immediately stroking your pup – he or she will then smell familiar and will be recognised as a part of your cat’s family.