Swheat!

rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
edited 9 December, 2005 in Cat Health
do any of you catsters out there use this kinda litter? we are just making the switch and would lovesome feed back.

Comments

• Veronica MorrisVeronica Morris El Cerrito/SF Bay areaMember Posts: 14,677
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We used swheat scoop for almost a year. My cat brother, who is amenable to just about anything, was fine with it. It was the best biodegradable one for me (they tried just about all the biodegradable ones on the market)... I only peed on the floor about once a week with the swheat scoop (usually about halfway through the week, so it wasn't related to the weekly litterbox scrubbing etc)! I finally convinced my parents to get my favorite litter by all my peeing so we're now using the el cheapo Petco one. For some reason my parents hate it, but it's the only one I don't pee outside the litterbox with (well, OK, I've peed outside the litterbox twice in one year with it, but they were asking for it). My parents really really liked it. They found, though, that you have to really not put too much in the toilet at one time if you are going to flush it. They had to scoop three times a day with the swheat scoop because they didn't want to back up the toilet (they scoop 2x a day with other litters). Breaking up the clumps before putting them in the toilet really helped a lot, too, they say. I think if it weren't for me and my knowledge that peeing gets me what I want they'd still be using the swheat scoop!
  • Annie UngerAnnie Unger CudahyMember Posts: 4
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I used Swheat Scoop for a while and it was pretty good, but then a friend made me sniff her litter box (I know, gross) because she had found the best litter ever....covieniently called "World's Best Litter". You can use it for a month and it never starts smelling (well, any more than the waste that is in the box). And I believe it is flushable as well, but I just toss it since its biodegradable anyway.
  • Lorraine BrinerLorraine Briner Member Posts: 4,098
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom got us some of the Swheat Scoop litter, and she hated it!!! She said it stuck to the bottom of the litter pan really bad, and it just smelled funky even after scooping. Plus we tracked it through the house in our paw pads. We use Kitty Soft litter now. It's made from recycled paper, so it's enviornmentally friendly too. Plus Kitty Soft is more like pellets, so it doesn't get stuck between your toes!
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I use Swheat Scoop and really like it a lot. It doesn't smell at all for us, and it clumps nicely. I like the texture, too.
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Just goes to prove- everycat is different! :-)
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My story is similar to Ansel\'s (except for the sniffing of the friend\'s litterbox part). I started out using Swheat Scoop (it\'s what I used at the veterinary clinic where I was staying before Mom adopted me) and then later got switched to World\'s Best Cat, the purrfect litter for me. ;-) Mom also prefers World\'s Best Cat simply because it comes in a lighter package and is easier to carry home from the store. She usually flushes it down the toilet and has noticed that you need to break up the pee pee clumps sometimes. It says on the bag that it\'ll last one cat for a month of more, but mine usually gets changed every 2-3 weeks. I have a medium-size litterbox, which is perfect for the smallest size bag (the one Mom buys), but if you have a large or jumbo litterbox you\'d need to buy a larger bag of kitty litter or use 2 of the small bags. Also, the longer you wait before changing or replenishing it, the harder it is for us cats to do a good job of covering up our poo poos, simply because there is less kitty litter left in the box.
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one thing. When I was using Swheat Scoop, the bag weighed 14 lbs, which is more or less what my weight is and Mom always made jokes about me and the kitty litter weighing the same or me having gained weight or lost weight compared to the kitty litter. And I hated how she complained about how heavy it was to carry home. "I walked a mile with kitty litter," she used to say. MOL!
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hee hee hee! *rolling on floor* Toffy, that\'s funny! I never thought of it that way, and I\'m only 8 pounds. My human always says that carrying the box is her workout for the week. Once when she was buying the box, the checkout clerk said, \"Why are these boxes of kitty litter always so heavy?\" Uh, because there is 14 pounds of litter in it? Humans are so weird sometimes.
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    thanks fir all the input. right now we are still in the transitional phase s we have the Swheat on top of our regular clumping till we get used to it.
  • alyssa elkinsalyssa elkins east brunswickMember Posts: 169
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our mommy tried Swheat Scoop with us and found that it does not clump as well as what we were using before--either Tidy Cat Scoop or Scoopaway. Besides which, Swheat Scoop tracks all over the place on our paws. She also caught more than one of us in the beginning trying to -eat- the swheat scoop litter!
  • BethDeeringBethDeering LondonMember Posts: 39
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My Mommy bought me a bag of Swheat Scoop about 2 months ago. I tried eating it the first time Mommy put it in my box, but I was still just a little kitten (3 months old) and didn't know better! My aunt uses a pine pellet litter, so Mommy bought some for me when the bag of Swheat Scoop was gone. The pine litter was okay when I had to pee, because it would crumble to sawdust. But as hard as I tried, I couldn't bury my poo in it. I meowed every time I had to poo in my box to tell Mommy that I didn't like it, and she switched back to Swheat scoop. When Mommy brought the new bag of Swheat Scoop home, I was in my box before she could even finish filling it! I was so happy I just had to use it! We don't notice much of a smell, although Mommy says it kind of smells like bread dough. It does get caught in my paw pads, but I don't usually track it too far; just around my box.