My Savannah has a covered litter box whenever he uses it he scratches the sides of the top after he

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    He's just wanting to be thorough! I don't have a covered box, but it's really close to the toilet, and I scratch the toilet as well after I'm done!
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    Accepted Answer
    HI Harley (great name huh). My sister Jewel is notorious for scratching the sides and top of the covered litter box. When shes in the uncoverd litter box she still scratches the sides. At least you cover your deposit, she sometimes misses it all together. She spends so much time scratching the sides and top, mom doesn't understand how she can miss her deposit! you 2 aren't alone though, we've read on catster how lots of kitties have this same behavior!
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    Accepted Answer
    Oh I do that all the time. I even scratch the door of my litter box! MOL! Mommy thinks maybe Im still trying to cover the smell, but shes not completely sure. If shes not careful I will tear off the door and throw the litter out of the box as well, haha. Whispers will also scratch at the sides of the box, and her door broke so she is always throwing litter everywhere. We both just like to have our sent all over the box- top, sides, anywhere- it has to be marked as our own. If you have other cats who use your box, that might be why you are scratching all the sides. We have scent glands in our feet and we mark territory that way- it could be your way of saying "this is mine!". Hope that helps!