my cat gypsy seems to have an odor coming from her mouth and she paws at her teeth.What would cause

Cher LaRocqueCher LaRocque DeQuincyMember Posts: 3

Best Answers

• sandy reinsteinsandy reinstein plainfieldMember Posts: 436
    Accepted Answer
    Treats and catfood! My Cats Do It All The time, mom trys to brush my teeth,but i dont Know Why they put their paws at their teeth. well i tryed to give you a best answer! tigers mom.
  • cai and chris von kuglercai and chris von kugler ModestoMember Posts: 2,435
    Accepted Answer
    Hi there Gypsy and furmily! have you tried either having her teeth brushed or cleaned at the vets? my old guy, Beau, had VERY bad teeth (read his bio)due to his prior owner. He had icky breath and paws (washing his face and mouth after eating) I would recommend that you check her teeth and see if there is any tarter or decay there if so you might consider taking her to the vet for a professional cleaning and go from there it took care of Beaubeau's breath! ((headbonks))
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds like your cat is having mouth pain, which can come from a variety of sources. Severe gingivitis is a cause, where the gums get really inflamed and painful and make eating difficult. An abcess or tumor in the mouth is another possibility. And tartar is also a cause of bad breath, but cats don't usually paw at their mouth from that. It's best to make an appointment for Gypsy to see your vet and have him or her thoroughly examine her mouth. Best of luck and hope Gypsy feels better!
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Accepted Answer
    You need to have your mouth examined. Oral health is just as important in cats as it is in humans. If you are pawing at your mouth then you may have an infected or loose tooth or cavity. Since you have bad breath then you most likely have gingivitis. Having a dental cleaning will help dramatically with the odor as well as keep you healthy. (Be sure to have an anesthetic blood panel done before undergoing any anesthetic procedure).